Matt's Diary

Hey Matt,

Happy belated birthday. Looks like the food quality is improving and you're still getting loads of walking in so congrats on the progress.

On the soda battle I wonder if mixing club soda with the Hawaiian punch or some other juice would help gradually move away from the soda? I've tried frozen berries in club soda and it's pretty good as you still get the bubbles and some of the sweetness. Another one to try might be to swap in another coffee for the Pepsi as an option to keep the caffeine but lose some of the sugar (assuming you don't add lots of cream and sugar to the coffee)

Good luck with the soda habit, tough one to crack

Day 25

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: In Progress...

Weight: 308.2

Breakfast: 2 Yogurts,1 Banana,a glass of milk and a cup of coffee.

Snack: A handful of peanuts, 1 yogurt

Lunch: 1 TV Dinner (Marie Callender's beef tips w/roasted potatoes.), a bowl of grapes. 2 cans of Hawaiian Punch

Dinner: 1 6 oz steak, 1 5 oz lobster tail,1 side of mashed potatoes, 1 side of broccoli and a piece of bread. 2 cans of Hawaiian Punch.

Snack: 1 can of Hawaiian Punch.

Exercise: 2 hours of walking.

Well my weight went back up, I hope it'll go down again. When you weigh yourself should it be the same time each day?Because, with my work schedule I get up different times of the week. I tried adding grapes to a water today but it still taste like water. Maybe b/c I didn't leave them overnight? I ate better today, though I didn't get a lot of walking in. For now I may stick to Hawaiian Punch. I had 5 today, but it's only 80 calories per can its like I drank 2.5 cans of Pepsi.

it is normal for weight to fluctuate daily.

try to weigh in only once per week, and try to weigh in at the same time on that day each week.

I'd leave it over night (the fruit water) if possible :) Strawberries, cucumber, watermelon, etc.. there are some really groovy combinations you can do! I like a bit of mint too.

I weigh myself as soon as I wake up, regardless of time. Completely normal for weight to fluctuate! We eat different things every day, and exercise at different amounts, it'd only be normal for weight to drop/gain a little. I take note of my weight each morning, and compare it to what I have eaten. Helps keep me on track :)

Day 26

Weight: 307.8

Breakfast: 2 Chocolate Chip cookies, 1 Yogurts,1 Banana,1/2 glass of milk and a cup of coffee.

Snack: 9 pieces of shrimp and tartar sauce.

Lunch: 1 foot long roast beef sub (Roast Beef, Am. Cheese, Lettuce, Onions, Olives, Pickles, Horseradish sauce and a tiny bit of Peppercorn Gourmaise sauce). 1 1 ounce bag of Potato chips and a 20 oz. Dr. Pepper. 1 shot of latte (It was a free sample I'm not sure what type or if it was a regular latte)

Dinner:1 pack of Ramen Noodles, 1 can of Hawaiian Punch.

Snack: 2 Oranges.

Exercise: 2 hours of walking.

I have to work on resisting free samples. I had to go to the rental office this morning and they have cookies out and I took 2 of them, though in my defense they were pretty small. I didn't walk as much b/c it rained pretty hard during the night.

You are doing great Matt, keep up the good work...small and positive changes every day and I am sure you will continue to see results. ;-)

I don't know what to say about the soda intake......usually, if I have stuff that I like at home I simply cannot resist them...so I don't buy and take it home, if I'm out and craving it then I will have it, but otherwise, they are just not allowed at home.

How is your daily water intake? Try to have it as much as possible (start the day with cold water...it will clear your stomach),and it may help deviate from some bad cravings, keeping you satisfied longer.

Xoxo

Day 27

Weight: 308.6

Breakfast: 2 packs of oatmeal, 1 glass of milk and a cup of coffee.

Snack: About a small handful of peanuts

Lunch: 2 pieces of baked bbq chicken, a side of broccoli and a side of mashed potatoes and a 22 oz fountain drink (Cherry coke).

Snack: A bowl of diced cantaloupe (about 24 oz.)

Dinner:1 piece of bourbon salmon, a side of Greek cucumber salad. 2 cans of Pepsi.

Snack: 1 Strawberry shortcake parfait.

Exercise: 4 hours of walking.

Well it happened again, my weight went up instead of down. I don't know if its b/c I weighed myself earlier then normal or I ate too much yesterday but its frustrating. I did fairly good today except I broke down and got a parfait from Wal-Mart. I also got to stay away from the peanuts.

You are doing great Matt, keep up the good work...small and positive changes every day and I am sure you will continue to see results. ;-)

I don't know what to say about the soda intake......usually, if I have stuff that I like at home I simply cannot resist them...so I don't buy and take it home, if I'm out and craving it then I will have it, but otherwise, they are just not allowed at home.

How is your daily water intake? Try to have it as much as possible (start the day with cold water...it will clear your stomach),and it may help deviate from some bad cravings, keeping you satisfied longer.

Xoxo

Hi, thanks for the kind words. My water intakes pretty good.We have quite a bit of bottled water at work, so I usually have about 1 or 2 bottles a day. I also usually have a bit of water when I wake up since my throat is usually dry.

You know, what popped out to me was that you didn't do a lot of snacking during the day. That is a big plus. So build on that success. Just eat your three meals and no snacking at all. That will be a good start.

Hi Matt! A belated welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the weight you've lost!

Peanuts are high in calories and sodium if you get the salted ones, but they also are packed with nutrition. You refined sugars on the other hand are pure calories with more nutritional harm than good. One or two bottles of water isn't nearly enough unless they are huge bottles. :biggrinjester:

When I was cutting out sodas I made an agreement with myself that for every ounce of soda (or any sugary drink) I would drink that much or more extra water. Just water without anything added. I didn't have to enjoy it, but I had to drink it. It will keep you from drinking soda out of thirst and will limit the quantity of soda that you can drink in one sitting.

Like folks have been saying the goal is continual improvements. Logging what you eat and drink is a great start on your journey to being healthy and it's had great results so far. You've found a positive and supportive place and, except for the occasional spam like HCC post above, you'll get good information here. Keep up your logging and your walking and keep up the posting! Getting below 300 feels great BTW and you'll get there before you know it!

Day 28

Weight: 306.8

Breakfast: 1 yogurt, A bowl of diced cantaloupe (about 24 oz.) 1 glass of milk.

Lunch: 2 sandwiches (1 roast beef, 1 chicken), 1 pepperoni pizza hot pocket.

Dinner:1 Healthy Choice TV dinner (Salisbury steak) 2 cans of Pepsi.

Snack: 1 Orange.

woot woot, your weight went down again! Good job...slow and steady...that's my mantra for today!! And good call staying away from the peanuts...keep up buddy...those 4hr walks sure do wonders, so don't give up!

Hi Matt! A belated welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the weight you've lost!

Peanuts are high in calories and sodium if you get the salted ones, but they also are packed with nutrition. You refined sugars on the other hand are pure calories with more nutritional harm than good. One or two bottles of water isn't nearly enough unless they are huge bottles. :biggrinjester:

When I was cutting out sodas I made an agreement with myself that for every ounce of soda (or any sugary drink) I would drink that much or more extra water. Just water without anything added. I didn't have to enjoy it, but I had to drink it. It will keep you from drinking soda out of thirst and will limit the quantity of soda that you can drink in one sitting.

Like folks have been saying the goal is continual improvements. Logging what you eat and drink is a great start on your journey to being healthy and it's had great results so far. You've found a positive and supportive place and, except for the occasional spam like HCC post above, you'll get good information here. Keep up your logging and your walking and keep up the posting! Getting below 300 feels great BTW and you'll get there before you know it!

I'll try the deal with the sodas.I counted and so far today I drank 3 16.9 oz bottles of water. Yeah I figure getting under 300 would feel awesome, but of course getting under 200 would feel better :).

Day 29

Weight: 306.4

Breakfast: 3 packets of oatmeal, 1 cup of coffee.

Snack: about 5 salted peanuts.

Lunch: 2 pieces of steak (about 4 oz. each), 1 bbq rib, a side of macaroni and cheese, 1 side of green beans, 1 side of mashed potatoes. 1 20 oz. Dr. Pepper.

Dinner:1 plate of spaghetti (angel hair pasta, about .5 cup of of marinara sauce), 1 can of Pepsi.

I went a little crazy during lunch, but I was good and had a small dinner. I bought some flavored water(Nestle Purelife Splash, Mandarin Orange flavor.) that actually tastes good, and something I can see myself drinking instead of soda.

Day 30

Weight: 305.8

Breakfast: 2 yogurt cups, 1 milk, 1 cup of coffee.

Lunch: 1 piece of chicken breast (I only ate a few bites of it), 1 slice of pizza, a side of macaroni and cheese, 1 side of green beans, 1 side of mashed potatoes. 1 20 oz. Dr. Pepper.

Dinner:1 plate of spaghetti (angel hair pasta, about .5 cup of of marinara sauce),2 slices of garlic bread. (toasted bread, butter, garlic salt.)

Exercise: 3.25 hours of walking.

Wow I can't believe its been a month already.I hope I can keep it up. Whats going to be hard is the fact that its Halloween and people are going to be putting out bowls of free candy.

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS MATT!!
On a successful month.
On cutting your sodas WAY down! :D

On losing at least one stone, by my reckoning.
FANTASTIC!

CONGRATULATIONS MATT!!
On a successful month.
On cutting your sodas WAY down! :D

On losing at least one stone, by my reckoning.
FANTASTIC!

Thanks.I had to google a stone to see how much that was. lol

Day 31

Weight: 304.8

Breakfast: 1 Nutri-grain granola bar, 2 Nutri-grain bars, 1 milk, 1 cup of coffee.

Snack: 1 mini Twix Bar.

Lunch: 1 6 in. Italian sub (Ham,salami, pepperoni, swiss cheese, mayo, a bit of oil and vinegar,pickles,onions and lettuce), 1 1/18 oz. bag of chips, 1 20 oz. Dr. Pepper.

Dinner:1 Healthy Choice TV dinner(Herb Chicken), 1 Pepperoni Pizza Hot Pocket, 2 cans of Pepsi.

I went a little crazy today though not too bad since I got a smaller sub size. I'm going to have to try my best to ignore candy bowls businesses are putting out between now and Halloween.

Yo Matt,

Congrats on the progress and the continued streak of walking. Looks like the 200's are just around the corner.

Psst... I don't see flavored water in your list.

Back