Matt's Diary

jonom

Ok its day 1. So far I have to say I have to step up my game.

For breakfast I had 2 Pop Tarts and a glass of milk. I had a cup of coffee when I got to work and for lunch I went to the a supermarket nearby (They have a buffet) and got mashed potatoes, broccoli, Salisbury steak and meatballs and a bottle of Dr Pepper. When I got home I had a pepperoni hot pocket, plus canned spaghetti and Ramen noodles. I also had 2 more Dr. Peppers and a glass of orange juice.

For exercise I walked my dog for almost 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. So I haven't started out that great, I'm going shopping tomorrow so I plan on getting some healthy food.If anyone has any suggestion, please let me know.

Try to stick to small changes a bit at a time, changing everything at once can be a bit overwhelming.

The first thing I would try to cut out is the Dr Pepper, try to have water if you can, or at least a drink with less sugar in it.

Good work getting out for the 2 hour walk :)

Day 2

Breakfast: During the night around 2am I got hungry and had the last of my Pop Tarts and Milk. When I got in to work I had a cup of coffee.

Lunch: I went to Golden Corral and had kind of a big lunch: Baked Chicken, Mashed Potatoes Green Beans and some Macaroni and Cheese. I'm sad to say I broke down and got a 44 oz pepsi also.

Dinner:Today I went grocery shopping, I got a meal from the bistro section. Chicken Tenders, Roast Corn and Mashed Potatoes. A drink came with it so I got some sweet tea. When I got home I just ate the chicken tenders. I also had a Dr Pepper.

Late Night Snack: Fruit.

Exercise Walking the Dog for 4hrs. (2 in the morning and 2 at night.)

Hi and welcome! This forum is a great resource, tons of information in the threads and it really helps me stay motivated when I'm checking in here. I recommend checking out the Club Challenges section.

Are you thinking of following a specific plan? Or just making healthier eating choices and getting more exercise (which is really what its all about right?!)

Good Luck on your journey!!! :hurray:

Grocery shopping is a great start. If you learn to cook a few meals and prepare snacks in advance it may be easier to avoid big lunches and grabbing whatever is close and easy on the way home. Personally, I'm quite lazy so if I make it easier to grab a prepared meal/snack at home then it becomes easier to eat that rather than having to go hunting for fast food.

Hi and welcome! This forum is a great resource, tons of information in the threads and it really helps me stay motivated when I'm checking in here. I recommend checking out the Club Challenges section.

Are you thinking of following a specific plan? Or just making healthier eating choices and getting more exercise (which is really what its all about right?!)

Good Luck on your journey!!! :hurray:

Thank you! At this point I'm just trying to eat healthier.

Day 3

Weight:319.2

Breakfast: Since I went shopping the day before, I stocked up on healthier foods. I had a Cantaloupe and a glass of milk.

Snack: About a handful of peanuts

Lunch: I had a 10 inch Italian sub from Wawa, plus a 1.78 oz bag of chips and a 20oz. Dr. Pepper. (I know, I know, but believe me its an improvement since I usually get a 32-44 oz drink! That's like cutting out 1-2 cans of soda!

Snack: (Not really a snack since I went a bit overboard) half of a large container of Yogurt.

Dinner: Healthy Choice TV Dinner and a can of Pepsi.

Late Night Snack: The rest of the yogurt.

Exercise:As usual 4 hours of walking.

Notes: I wasn't sure about how healthy an Italian Sub is if there are healthier options,please let me know. As usual, I'm having trouble with soda addiction. I've tried snacking on grapes whenever I crave sugar and that helps a little bit. Any suggestion on alternatives to soda?

Looks like a better food day. There are always healthier options but main thing is that you're headed in the right direction and getting in a lot of exercise.

On the soda front, I guess it depends on the reason why you're hooked. If it's caffeine content, coffee or teas may help. If it's the bubbles, I've tried club soda with flavoring as a soda replacement and it's not bad. Keeps the fizz and some of the sweetness but not sure it's a good long term solution. Either way, cutting down the size and the number of sodas is a great start.

Long term, learning to cook a few meals is a good investment of time and can help control what types of food you put into your body.

Looks like a better food day. There are always healthier options but main thing is that you're headed in the right direction and getting in a lot of exercise.

On the soda front, I guess it depends on the reason why you're hooked. If it's caffeine content, coffee or teas may help. If it's the bubbles, I've tried club soda with flavoring as a soda replacement and it's not bad. Keeps the fizz and some of the sweetness but not sure it's a good long term solution. Either way, cutting down the size and the number of sodas is a great start.

Long term, learning to cook a few meals is a good investment of time and can help control what types of food you put into your body.

I think its mainly the sweetness.Honestly I can get by without soda as long as I have another sugary drink to replace it.

Day 4

Weight: 318.2

Breakfast: 3 packets of Instant Oatmeal and milk.

Snack: Peanuts

Lunch: Baked Chicken breast, a slice of ham, green beans, macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes and gravy from Golden Corral. As well as a 20 oz. Dr Pepper.

Snack: A container of sliced apples.

Dinner: A can of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs (Yeah I know, but I'd rather eat one can ever few days then throw food away.) A can of Pepsi.

Late Snack:Half a container of Yogurt.

Exercise: 4 hours of walking.

Day 5

Weight: 316.6

Breakfast:The rest of the Yogurt I had started before (About half a container), an Orange and a glass of Milk

Snack: Some peanuts a Banana and 2 pieces of a cheese danish cake.

Lunch: Chick-Fil-A (Bacon Chicken club combo large with a sweet tea.)

Snack: One Pumpkin Scone

Dinner: Sushi (Dragon Roll) a side of Spinach and Fried Rice and a Can of Pepsi.

Late Snack: Another Pepsi and some grapes.

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

Overall not a great day.I succumbed to temptation twice, plus the Chick-Fil-A (Not as bad as most fast food though, at least the sandwich was grilled instead of fried, though I could have done without the bacon and cheese.I could have also done without the large size.) Hopefully I'll do better tomorrow.

Day 6

Weight: 317.8

Breakfast:Three packets of Instant Oatmeal and a glass of Milk

Snack: Some peanuts

Lunch: 10 inch Italian sub from Wawa, plus a 1.78 oz bag of chips and a 20oz. Dr. Pepper.

Snack: Grapes, Can of Pepsi

Dinner: Marie Callenders TV dinner(Steak and Roasted Potatoes) and a can of Pepsi.

Late Snack: Nutri Grain Bar.

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

Looks like I paid for yesterdays indiscretions as I gained a pound. Tomorrow this organization I volunteer for is having a picnic, probably lots of junk food. I'm going to have to have double the willpower!

Keep going Matt and good luck with the sugary drinks. Hard habit to kick.

Smoothies might not be a bad way to go. I throw in frozen berries, yoghurt, apples, bananas and even sneak in stuff like fresh Spinach and it still tastes sweet but can sneak in healthier options. Have a nutribullet at home and it's quick to mix and clean.

Welcome Matt! If you are having trouble giving up soda maybe water it down (or would that be weird? I honestly never have soda). Also, are you drinking regular soda or diet soda? Diet soda is lower in calories than regular, maybe try switching to that.

Keep going Matt and good luck with the sugary drinks. Hard habit to kick.

Smoothies might not be a bad way to go. I throw in frozen berries, yoghurt, apples, bananas and even sneak in stuff like fresh Spinach and it still tastes sweet but can sneak in healthier options. Have a nutribullet at home and it's quick to mix and clean.

I might try that.I used to make smoothies and I have a blender somewhere that I haven't used in a while.

Welcome Matt! If you are having trouble giving up soda maybe water it down (or would that be weird? I honestly never have soda). Also, are you drinking regular soda or diet soda? Diet soda is lower in calories than regular, maybe try switching to that.

Well when I drink soda, I do put in a cup with ice, so that sort of waters it down. I drink regular soda, can't stand diet.

Day 7

Weight: 317.2

Breakfast: Some apple slices, yogurt and a glass of Milk

Lunch: 3 Hot Dogs, 2 Deviled Eggs, A side of something called crunchy Asian salad which I believe consisted of crushed ramen noodles, oranges, maybe some cabbage. A small bag of cheetos. Also 3-5 cookies an ice cream bar and 2 sodas.

Dinner: Healthy Choice TV Dinner and a 2 cans of Pepsi.

Exercise: 3 hours of walking.

If anyone is wondering why lunch consisted of so much junk food, today this organization I volunteer for had a picnic and healthy options where limited, and I admit I went a little crazy. My walking time was cut short b/c we had some unseasonable warm weather in the morning and I didn't want my dog to overheat.

Back