Matt's Diary

Hey Matt, when it comes to the scale I think the main thing is to try to keep a common routine and weigh yourself the same way each day around the same time so I wouldn't consider it a cheat to listen to nature's call before. I don't think there is a way to cheat on a weigh in other than stepping on the scale holding a few hundred helium balloons ;)

It sounds like a successful trip to the grocery store and great job on checking the labels. Serving size/servings per container, calories and sodium content are all good things to keep an eye out for if you're not already.

Hi Matt & a belated welcome to the forum. I'm sorry I have not posted in your diary until now. I just couldn't think what to say when I saw how much soda you drink & packaged or canned food you eat. I must admit it shocked me a bit. I try not to say anything if I can't think of something nice to say.
Your diet seems to consist mainly of processed food & drink, along with some fruit & nuts. I can't eat many starchy veg, such as corn or potatoes as I quickly regain my weight if I do. Do you like salads ie lots of greens, tomatoes, cucumber(so low in calories), raw carrot(grated), celery etc. You can eat so much of it & with a little Balsamic vinegar it's delicious. I gently stir-fry some sliced chicken breasts in a little olive oil & some soy sauce, salt & pepper & place on top of a bowl of salad. Canned tuna(in olive oil is nicest) is another favourite. It's a matter of having healthy choices in my fridge all the time. Maybe make up a soup & freeze some. I'm no cook, but cooking your own food is so much nicer & healthier than packaged stuff.
Re the weighing. I ONLY weigh if I have been to the bathroom.
Keep making positive changes & it will get easier as you go. I think if you can beat your soda addiction you will no longer have a weight problem.
Cheers, Cate.

Day 18

Goal 1: ACHIEVED! Goal 2: In Progress...

Weight: 310.2

Breakfast: 1 Yogurt, 1`glass of milk and a cup of coffee.

Snack: Salted Peanuts.

Lunch: 6 inch Roast Beef Sub (swiss cheese, lettuce, onions, and pickles Also dijon mustard and horseradish sauce). 1 bag of chips, and 1 20 oz. Pepsi.

snack: 1 Apple.

Dinner: 1 Ramen Noodle, 1 pepperoni pizza Hot Pocket, and 2 Pepsi's.

Late Snack: 1 Yogurt.

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

When I first started I decided I would set several small goals instead of 1 large goal. So I set out to start off losing 10 lbs. I'm happy to say, that I've achieved that goal! Now on to my second goal which is to lose 15 lbs.

Hi Matt & a belated welcome to the forum. I'm sorry I have not posted in your diary until now. I just couldn't think what to say when I saw how much soda you drink & packaged or canned food you eat. I must admit it shocked me a bit. I try not to say anything if I can't think of something nice to say.
Your diet seems to consist mainly of processed food & drink, along with some fruit & nuts. I can't eat many starchy veg, such as corn or potatoes as I quickly regain my weight if I do. Do you like salads ie lots of greens, tomatoes, cucumber(so low in calories), raw carrot(grated), celery etc. You can eat so much of it & with a little Balsamic vinegar it's delicious. I gently stir-fry some sliced chicken breasts in a little olive oil & some soy sauce, salt & pepper & place on top of a bowl of salad. Canned tuna(in olive oil is nicest) is another favourite. It's a matter of having healthy choices in my fridge all the time. Maybe make up a soup & freeze some. I'm no cook, but cooking your own food is so much nicer & healthier than packaged stuff.
Re the weighing. I ONLY weigh if I have been to the bathroom.
Keep making positive changes & it will get easier as you go. I think if you can beat your soda addiction you will no longer have a weight problem.
Cheers, Cate.

Thanks Cate, you're right, I pretty much only eat processed food except for lunch time.I do like salads and when I went shopping, I did buy some salad stuff. I can't really cook, except I do have a frying pan I haven't used much lol. I'll try those suggestions.

Day 19

Weight: 309.8

Breakfast: 2 Yogurts, 2 oatmeal packets, 1 glass of milk and a cup of coffee.

Snack: Salted Peanuts.

Lunch: 1 piece of steak, 5 jumbo shrimp w/cocktail sauce, side of mashed potatoes, green beans, and macaroni.1 20 oz. Pepsi.

Dinner: A small salad (lettuce, cucumber, olives, onions and Olive Garden light Italian dressing), 1 Healthy Choice TV dinner (Herb Chicken) and 1 Pepsi.

Late Snack: 1 Yogurt.

Exercise: 3.1 hours of walking.

Day 20

Breakfast: 1 Yogurt, 2 oatmeal packets, and a cup of coffee.

Snack: Some salted peanuts.

Lunch: Meatloaf, a side of Macaroni and Cheese, and a side of Broccoli.1 20 oz. Pepsi.

Snack: 1 Apple

Dinner: A small salad (lettuce, cucumber, olives, onions and Olive Garden light Italian dressing), 2 pieces of cooked Salmon (12 oz.) and 2 cans of Pepsi.

I tried my hand at cooking today and while I got off to a rough start, the results were good.I bought a 1.5 lb piece of Salmon that was already seasoned and cooked it in a grill pan. It was delicious.

Congrats on goal one Matt, It's possible that you may start to see progress slow down until you start looking for ways to address the amount of processed food and soda. If you do tackle the amount of processed food you might find that you can eat a lot more unprocessed food for the same amount of calories.

Good luck

Day 20

Snack: 1 Apple

Dinner: A small salad (lettuce, cucumber, olives, onions and Olive Garden light Italian dressing), 2 pieces of cooked Salmon (12 oz.)

I tried my hand at cooking today and while I got off to a rough start, the results were good.I bought a 1.5 lb piece of Salmon that was already seasoned and cooked it in a grill pan. It was delicious.
Well done! :D

Congrats on goal one Matt, It's possible that you may start to see progress slow down until you start looking for ways to address the amount of processed food and soda. If you do tackle the amount of processed food you might find that you can eat a lot more unprocessed food for the same amount of calories.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I did try my hand at cooking during the weekend, so I'm going to try more unprocessed foods.

Day 21

Breakfast: 1 Yogurt, 1 bagel, and a glass of milk.

Snack: 1 20 oz. Cherry Coke.

Lunch: 2 packets of Ramen Noodles and 1 Hawaiian Punch.

Dinner: A small salad (lettuce, cucumber, olives, onions and Olive Garden light Italian dressing), 2 pieces of cooked Salmon (12 oz.) and 2 cans of Pepsi.

Exercise: 3.5 hours of walking.

I went a little overboard on the sodas, I admit. Dinner was leftover Salmon from last night. I'm not sure that was a great idea, since I had a bad stomachache in the evening.(I'm not sure why), how long can you keep cooked seafood? As for the ramen noodles, I'd rather eat what I have left rather than throw them away.

Day 22

Weight: 308.4

Breakfast: 1 Yogurt,a glass of milk and a cup of tea.

Lunch: 1 piece of baked chicken breast, slice of pepperoni pizza, a few pieces of pagoda chicken, a side of mashed potatoes and bit of gravy, a side of macaroni and cheese and a side of green beans.1 20 oz. Ginger Ale.

Dinner: 1 Marie Callender's TV Dinner (Steak and Roasted potatoes) a few grapes and 2 cans of Pepsi.

Exercise: 4 hours of walking.

My stomach was still bothering me today off and on so I got a Ginger Ale instead of a Dr Pepper. I should have got something bland and avoided Pizza. I went a little overboard during lunch, but my breakfast and dinner was relatively light. Tomorrow is going to be tough since it's my birthday and I'll probably have at least 1 slice of cake.

Day 23

Weight: 308.2

Breakfast: 1 Yogurt, 2 packs of oatmeal,a glass of milk and a cup of coffee.

Snack: A handful of salted peanuts.

Lunch: 1 piece of Italian sausage, a side of mashed potatoes and a side of green peas.1 Biscuit. 1 20 oz. Pepsi.

Dinner: 1 side salad(Lettuce, cucumber,sliced onions and Italian dressing),a few pieces of bread dipped in olive oil, a plate of shrimp and scallops over spaghetti noodles.

Snack: 1 large mint cupcake, 2 cans of Pepsi.A few grapes.

Exercise: 3 hours of walking.

Today is my birthday, so I broke down and ate a cupcake. I didn't finish the dinner and still have spaghetti noodles.

Day 24

Weight: 307.2

Breakfast: 1 Yogurt, 1 Orange, 1 Banana,a glass of milk and a cup of coffee.

Snack: 1 Apple.

Lunch: 1 10 inch Roast Beef sub from WaWa ( Roast Beef, lettuce, Am. Cheese, Onions, Pickles, Horseradish sauce and a dab of Mayo), 1 1 7/8 oz. bag of BBQ chips 1 20 oz. Pepsi, half of an Argo Sweet Tea.

Dinner: 1 side salad (lettuce,cucumber,sliced onions,olives and Olive Garden brand lite Italian dressing),1 pack of Ramen noodles. 2 cans of Hawaiian Punch.

Exercise: 3.75 hours of walking.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I wanted to try something new to replace sodas so I tried a brand of tea. Unfortunately it didn't taste that great.

good effort trying to replace the Pepsi, you just need to find the right replacement drink for you !

Happy birthday! and well done on your goals :D Keep up the amazing effort - you're doing awesome!
Do you like fruit? Have you tried fruit waters? (throw fruit into a big bottle of water over night = flavored water without sugar)

Back