Marsia's Diary

We took a hike today at Botany Bay Plantation where there is a big beautiful driftwood beach. We got really sunburnt and had fun crab watching - they were everywhere and very skittle-y. I am very sunburnt because of sweating off the sunscreen, but it was such a nice hike, and J's brothers really loved it. Found the most amazing old cemetery with beautiful iron fences made to look like tree branches and old graves that look like twisty old monuments. So much like in an old Scooby Doo movie! We played music and sang last night which was really fun. Tonight we're watching Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil in preparation for a trip to Savannah, Georgia in a few days. I am sleep deprived from staying up taking into the night, but it's a good sleep deprived. Yesterday was not good food-wise - Southern food, but today ate healthy except for stopping for some sweet tea to hydrate.

I looked it up & it looks wonderful. It must be so good having J & K with you. Do they love & appreciate what you have done? I think you’re an amazing person, M 🥰

Wow, thanks Cate! They really like what we did with the place! And they like the gardening a lot, too. Here is yesterday's cemetery pic - it won't let me post the other ones - they are too big a file size, and I don't have time to fuss with it now. We found really amazing ones on our 6 mile walk through Charleston today, too. I'll post them another time. We had a lovely shopping/sight seeing day and went to a nice cafe for yogurt/pumpkin/granola cups and lavender iced coffee. The natives say that it usually isn't this brutally hot until August (their hottest month). That's a big relief that this isn't normal. Anyway, here is a cemetery pic:

Attachments

• IMG_4080-min.jpeg
    IMG_4080-min.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 6
Old cemeteries can be so beautiful - and interesting. Good to hear your hard work is being seen and appreciated.

Thanks LaMa and everyone! I just came in from gardening. I sent everyone to the beach so I could get some things in that desperately need it. I am taking a small water break. Later we'll go to a serpentarium, but there are alligator, lizard, and frog sections, too, so I won't be too freaked out by going to a huge snake place since I plan to spend most of my time on the creatures with legs!

Some snakes have rudimentary legs. Some lizards have none. In fact there is no way to define all lizards that wouldn't include snakes. Maybe it helps to think of them as special lizards?

LaMa, I think it's the slithering that does me in. I am getting better about it though! J's brothers go back Tuesday evening, and we had a "take it easy" day today just playing board games and napping after gardening and going to the beach. We're going to just do a few nice things in Savannah and not try to cram it all in at one time! We just got back from the river. There were big lightening bolts, but no thunder at dusk. Last night was the same, and we had sat out on the porch in the dark watching the lightening through the forest and listening to the cicadas and frogs. It's wonderful having them for company. They are both artists and I have so much in common with them. They are super happy and positive and interesting. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful family!!

If the slithering creeps you out maybe it would help to know more about it:

Glad to hear you're taking rest as well.

Oh, sorry LaMa, started watching the video, and there is a slithering snake in someone's hand - I may come back and watch sometime when this doesn't make my startle reflex go off!

Very tired from a very long, wonderful, very hot walk through Savannah today. There is a fantastic art and design college which we visited. It is amazing and has very opulent buildings with beautiful gift shops and a tour which was like going to Disney World, only a mini version. The architecture is gorgeous like Charleston only more varied, and there is a 100 acre cemetery and squares all over the city with enormous oaks and fountains and public sculptures. I really really love it there! It is more humid and hot and there are mosquitos in the cemetery which is next to a beautiful river. I am glad we live where we live but can visit there a lot.

It's like a more relaxed version of Charleston with a ton of art galleries and a super wonderful bookstore with about 12 rooms of books and comfy chairs and happy bookstore cats. We ate brunch at a place with blue cheese infused grits with lobster and shrimp and loved our waiter who doted on us and was happy and so positive. I will eat light tomorrow. Every time I eat Southern food I am stuffed for days. Anyway, I think we must have walked about 6 miles again today. I'll have K check her phone to see.

Got home and watered flowers and garden and took a shower. I will go join everyone in a few minutes. Just laying down a few minutes. I got sleepy driving 2 hours each way in forest where everything looks exactly the same and you can't tell where you are except for an occasional inlet or marsh or bridge over water. We also stopped and peeked at a town on a river that goes out into the ocean - Beaufort. It was charming and little and more open with lots of water views. I'd love to live there, but it is too small a community for J - he is a city person at heart.

Really good day!

I may come back and watch sometime when this doesn't make my startle reflex go off!
So sorry my video startled you! I do think if you ever had a chance to touch a snake that would be helpful. Slithering is such a gross word and they really aren't even a little bit moist but wonderfully smooth. We all have our hangups though: that's ok.
super wonderful bookstore with about 12 rooms of books and comfy chairs and happy bookstore cats. We ate brunch at a place with blue cheese infused grits with lobster and shrimp and loved our waiter who doted on us and was happy and so positive.
That sounds like a glorious day! I would love that bookshop so much and be so sad I wouldn't be able to go in because of the cats. Achoo!
I'd love to live there, but it is too small a community for J - he is a city person at heart.
Don't tell me you're thinking about moving again!

Hi all! I do love our house, but wish we hadn't bought such an expensive one. I'm just looking for where we might want to retire and have a less expensive house some day. I think J just really really wanted to move and chose a house that is a good investment in a spot he knew I'd love, and he thought we'd explore and find the absolute perfect house in time. We'll definitely stay here for years, I just don't feel comfortable in this expensive of a house permanently.

We spent the day at Caw Caw Center and saw baby alligators who were much larger than the ones I saw and two adults, too. It was magical watching the babies swim around happily together. Also everyone loved the cedar swamp and different ecosystems there. It was a really nice outing. We went to an open mic and out to barbecue for dinner. The dinner was very good (but it was rather rich and my stomach is a little unsettled this morning) and the open mic had really nice musicians, but was in a bar/restaurant with unfriendly waitresses and was very loud. It wasn't a family friendly place though it was nice seeing happy musicians. They all played blues the same way - very professional and polished, though all with the exact same sound as if they were all the same band though several bands performed. K could have played and a few blues songs she knows and the musicians would have been supportive and nice, but the atmosphere wasn't that supportive, so we just listened. I found a better venue and emailed the person in charge, and Wednesday nights we can go try an open mic/karaoke bar type atmosphere at a family friendly sports bar.
There is an art center that may have an open mic still going on, too. I'll have to call them and see.

LaMa, as a kid I loved snakes and did handle them. Then one day I ran one over with my bike and had horrible snake nightmares the next 10 years. My fear of snakes is not rational - it's a fear of the horrible nightmares coming back. So I try to have positive experiences with snakes when I see them in person (which seems to be more than most people see them) but I get overwhelmed and don't want to be around them very often. Thanks for trying to help me overcome the fear, but I get overwhelmed about snakes very easily.

I absolutely adored Savannah and will go visit there a lot! I'll look for art classes in Charleston, too so maybe I can meet other artists here, too. I feel like it's time to find some creative people again to hang out with and do art with.

We went to the tea plantation today which was really nice and very interesting. I have a much better idea of how to grow my tea plants now. We liked it enough to go another time even! Then to Folly Beach where we had a nice beach walk and went to a good grocery store and got crab cakes, shrimp, and scallops at the fresh seafood counter. Everyone really loved the crab cakes and rice dish I made with the shrimp and scallops. We watched a movie and sang and drummed and now I'm tuckered out. I had wine and key lime pie today. Too much junk food in my diet. I will eat good again after J's brothers leave late tomorrow. Tomorrow we'll go swimming and have a mellow day before going to the airport. Hope everyone had a good Monday!

What a lovely day, M. Your cooking sounds delicious. A mellow day with a swim tomorrow sounds like a nice farewell day xo

That sounds like another glorious day! Now I want crab cakes...

Back