Marsia's Diary

Also found part of an alligator hide in the road near the river today. This strengthens my decision to only swim at the ocean!
Good thinking, M! 🐊 :eek:
It's a pity J's friend's blueberry farm is not closer. I love blueberries. Yum!

I agree about the blueberry farm. He's such an interesting person and I'd really love to learn gardening stuff from him and help out on the blueberry farm. We will definitely go visit him. He also said how it gets lonely on the farm. So definite blueberry farm visits in our future!

We had a very productive day because it rained on and off which made things cooler. Got tea plants repotted, the last 3 fruit trees in big pots and mulched, rotted logs in 2 big round beds, we put together another big metal sheet raised bed, and finished the walls in the laundry room. It's looking really nice now. And the garden loves the cool and rain. It's looking cooler with thunder storms all week - so happy!

I'll be working a late shift plus overtime in an office without ac today and we're hitting 97 degrees. Thunderstorms sound amazing. You were super productive today!

I'll be working a late shift plus overtime in an office without ac today and we're hitting 97 degrees. Thunderstorms sound amazing. You were super productive today!
Oh, that really stinks. I hope they provide good fans at least. I'll try to will some thunderstorms your way! It was really nice getting so much done!

Today we went to an old cool dungeon and a slave mart both with super interesting guides. I got overwhelmed with sadness at the slave mart, so didn't absorb much of what they said - just too much emotionally to take in. We were with J's blueberry farmer friend and his sister who was a high school principal and had various teaching jobs. We had a lovely breakfast with them at my favorite cafe. I split a very healthy quiche with J and they had a coffee cake with avocado in it which was surprisingly yummy. Then they went on to visit Savannah.

I was feeling so bloated and sad that I regained weight, but went clothes shopping this afternoon because each time I go I usually only find one or two things and I started out with almost no hot weather clothes. Today I got 3 perfect tops and 4 pairs of wonderful pants - and they are all a size smaller! So so relieved that I did really loose some weight while here, even if I did gain some back!

It's perfect out because it just rained, but I'll stay inside because I picked up some rainbow trout from the fresh seafood counter at the market, so am going to make a nice dinner of fish and salad with nice blue cheese in it, and have a relaxing evening with J and K. K is warming up to the idea of high school where half the classes are at the local community college. We'll go visit the school in the next few days and see what the options are.

I think I would struggle with the slave mart too.
Yay for new clothes in a smaller size.
Dinner sounds really nice. I hope K does warm to the high school/community college idea 🤞

Hi everyone! The trout dinner was so good. It's been raining like crazy, so we went to a historical museum this afternoon, which was really nice. Charleston is so beautiful in the rain with all the historical buildings and brick with ferns growing out of every crack. Well, the school we talked K into is full, so back to the drawing board. There's a private school which is nearby which may work, or some form of home schooling. The local high school is a failing school. Researched too hard and feel like a wrung out dish rag now.

Been eating too much and must drink more water instead. I need to integrate yoga and meditation back into my life again. We had a nice evening home reading and researching and now time for bed. I'll look at school stuff again tomorrow with fresh eyes. Almost got a bed full of soil for the peanuts. If it stops dumping rain, I can plant them. Not complaining though. It's wonderful living where there is more than enough rain!!

That's such a shame that K can't get into the school that appealed to you. There will be an answer, M. Try to take some time for yourself in between all this stress. Having the time to yourself would also be making it harder for you to adjust to having J there again. I get annoyed with G more when I have had a break from him. I did some meditating this morning & it was lovely. G asked me what I was doing & I said "meditating....well, trying to".

Thanks so much for this, Cate! I know you are right about needing time for myself. I think that will help a lot, and I will take your advice and start doing art things this week, starting with the art museum downtown I really want to visit. So glad you are meditating! I think I will copy you and do that this morning, too.

I am thinking that maybe we can find a really interesting online school and also some local home schooling activities so she has kids her age to hang out with. I am almost thinking we need to start our own teen band or something like that. I joined a local homeschooling FB community, so maybe that will help for ideas and connections. We are very spoiled having lived where there was such a family friendly music and art scene. I hope I can find similar things here, but it's been hard so far.

Finding a new group of friends and chosen family in an unfamiliar area is hard. I hope it'll go smoothly though.

How many years of high school does she have left, Marsia? What do you mean by the local high school is ‘failing’? Hope it all works out.

Thanks so much for this, Cate! I know you are right about needing time for myself. I think that will help a lot, and I will take your advice and start doing art things this week, starting with the art museum downtown I really want to visit. So glad you are meditating! I think I will copy you and do that this morning, too.
I think you are so used to putting everyone else first & you had some time on your own when you could do what you liked when you liked. It’s a really good time to reset & do the things that bring you joy xoxo

Finding a new group of friends and chosen family in an unfamiliar area is hard. I hope it'll go smoothly though.
Thanks LaMa!! I am starting to understand home schooling and am finding local resources and getting excited about it. I started reading an "unschooling" book to K today and she is really into it. So may have found a good way through this!
How many years of high school does she have left, Marsia? What do you mean by the local high school is ‘failing’? Hope it all works out.
She has 2 years left if she finishes the traditional way, but she could get away with one year and going to community college early. I did something like that when I was growing up. The school in our district is a 2/10 ranked on the Great Schools website (where 10/10 is where 75% of kids read at grade level - so sad this is such a low standard for public schools) and the realtor's girlfriend who substitute teaches in our county calls it a failing school meaning the kids are illiterate and not learning. It's a largely African American population of poor rural kids.
I think you are so used to putting everyone else first & you had some time on your own when you could do what you liked when you liked. It’s a really good time to reset & do the things that bring you joy xoxo
I think you're right and I actually did do yoga today and will meditate before going to bed. I do need to make my interests a precedent, and we did exercises from our unschooling book on figuring out what we'd like to pursue in life today! I also had a really good time looking at home schooling options today - things are starting to click and I think we could make a super cool curriculum for K.

I ate better and we had crab cakes again, this time with a parmesan and garlic cauliflower dish. I got fancy groceries for the next few days as it's Independence Day weekend, and I wanted to do something special just because I have the excuse to! Ok, time to meditate...

1 year of unschooling/homeschooling & then early college sounds like a really good option. K would obviously need to take on most of the responsibility for it, but having you as support would be a huge bonus.
I loved crab cakes when I had them in the US. Yum!
Happy meditating. I'll do some Tai Chi again tonight. I really enjoyed it.

It's so sad that schools can be allowed to get so bad nobody with the resources or influence to make a change will send their kids there.

1 year of unschooling/homeschooling & then early college sounds like a really good option. K would obviously need to take on most of the responsibility for it, but having you as support would be a huge bonus.
I loved crab cakes when I had them in the US. Yum!
Happy meditating. I'll do some Tai Chi again tonight. I really enjoyed it.
I showed everyone the homeschooling resources I found, and home schooling is really starting to look like a fun and interesting option. We listened to our unschooling book while driving up the coast today, and this really seems doable! I meditated for a little while and did a little yoga yesterday, and both were wonderful. I hope to do the same tomorrow. Today we went up to Georgetown and other towns along the way and discovered some lovely little places. We ate at a hole in the wall place with excellent seafood and really nice weight staff. Then we went to the Elvis movie at a discount theater because it got good reviews. It was really interesting from a family systems perspective, and I would have loved to have seen more on how he hung out in the African American music clubs and Gospel churches, and how his style evolved from that. It was nice watching a movie about being true to yourself and to your artistic vision.

My cat is snoring away even louder than the frogs are chirping outdoors. We had to shoo a frog out of the car when we got out of the car to go into the house. It hopped from the driveway into the car and it took us a while to coax it out the other door. I shooed 2 other tree frogs out of the recycling bin the other day. I love living in frog land!

We rarely go to see movies but want to see Elvis in a cinema. It sounds good.
I love that you live in frog land 🐸💚

Frogs are awesome!

Back