Mariana’s diary

Hello everyone! I decided to join the forums to be able to chat with people that have the same weight loss struggles as I do; to get motivation from other people. Nonetheless, I am very confused about how the forums work

Hey there :waving: The most active part of this forum is the diary section so if you want to get to know people that's your best bet. You can just read along, comment in other people's threads, or start your own. How much weight would you like to lose and how do you plan to do it?

Always great when people start on weightloss before they have a huge amount to lose. Much easier that way! Best of luck.

Indeed, thank you for the support! As I can see here, you are a “well known member”. If you don’t mind me asking, are you also trying to lose weight? Best of luck to you too Llama

I reached my goal a couple of years back and I stick around for accountability. I'll go up a bit, get my stuff together, and lose it again. On the way down again right now. Any time I stayed away for longer I gained weight, so I'm here to stay :)

That's awesome! Can I ask you something? Have you ever dealt with binge eating? I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, but I'll tell a bit of my story. I have dealt with anorexia about a year ago. Ever since I recovered, I started binge eating and gained some unnecessary weight (those 5-7kgs). In addition, I'm a runner, but I had 2 bone fractures due to my unbalanced hormones and had to stop running. That made my binge eating even worse. I actually binged this afternoon... I had like, idk, 1300 calories (almost my whole day...). Again, I'm sorry to be reaching out to you guys this way, but I have no one to talk to about this. I feel so alone, and it's like EVERYTHING I try doesn't work. If you have tips, that would be highly appreciated. I wish you all the best, and that you have a good day! Again, thank for answering to my messages, it means a lot to me

Hi Mariana :) You are most definitely not alone here. I was a budding binger even before my first diet 25 years ago but many people first start binging when they restrict calories a lot. Things that help for me (it's not perfect, of course, or I wouldn't need to relose a couple of kilos every now and then) are to add a good bit of protein and fiber/volume to my meals, not to reduce my calories too much (more than 500 kcal/day below maintenance makes it real tough for me), not to use too much simple/added sugar, and... to make sure I'm happy or at least even-tempered. Therapy to learn to deal with my emotions more productively definitely helped me. I don't have perfect or simple solutions but I do think you can turn this around. Especially since you haven't been binging for a long time yet.

Edited to add: having healthy food I genuinely enjoy ready to grab helps me, too. If I have to cook/prep something while I'm already hungry the risk of binging on convenience food shoots up.

Thanks for the tips Llama! I will implement them and come back tomorrow to tell how it went
Hi Mariana :) You are most definitely not alone here. I was a budding binger even before my first diet 25 years ago but many people first start binging when they restrict calories a lot. Things that help for me (it's not perfect, of course, or I wouldn't need to relose a couple of kilos every now and then) are to add a good bit of protein and fiber/volume to my meals, not to reduce my calories too much (more than 500 kcal/day below maintenance makes it real tough for me), not to use too much simple/added sugar, and... to make sure I'm happy or at least even-tempered. Therapy to learn to deal with my emotions more productively definitely helped me. I don't have perfect or simple solutions but I do think you can turn this around. Especially since you haven't been binging for a long time yet.

Edited to add: having healthy food I genuinely enjoy ready to grab helps me, too. If I have to cook/prep something while I'm already hungry the risk of binging on convenience food shoots up.

Hi, Mariana & a belated welcome to the forum (I was away for the weekend). I haven't had much experience with binge eating, but find, like Llama, I need to have protein with every meal & healthy food readily available so that I don't have cravings. If I have sugar I want more sugar. I just can't have crisps in the house as they tempt me more than anything. If I crave something sweet I usually have an orange.

Welcome to the forum Mariana :) like cate I have no experience with binge eating so will be no help to you with this particular issue, but I will check in on your thread from time to time.

Sounds like a plan! One more thing: don't get angry at yourself when you do binge. It will happen at some point and hating yourself for it will only make things worse. Don't skip meals "to make up for it"; just continue on with the next healthy meal as if nothing happened and try to figure out why the urge may have overwhelmed you in the first place.

Goals for tomorrow are
- 1400-1500 calories
- Indoor cycling
- Do my chemistry test
Since this is my diary, I make the rules hahaha. I will always put my weight related goals, calories and exercise, and a non-related goal as well! Tomorrow I have this chemistry test I reallyyyy want to do well on

Back