Mariana’s diary

Welcome to the forum Mariana :) like cate I have no experience with binge eating so will be no help to you with this particular issue, but I will check in on your thread from time to time.
Thank you for the support 🙂

By the way Cate, if you don't mind me asking, have you reached your goals? I saw posts from you here that were as old as 2007! Newcomers like me really appreciate your support and commitment to the forums 😃 wishing you all the best!
I don't mind at all. I reached my goals back in 2007 (lost 36 kg in 28 weeks) & managed to maintain for many years. I have crept back up quite a bit over the last 5 years or so & am finding it that bit harder every year to really focus on getting back down again. I would love to be 10 kg lighter than I am right now. I'll never give up on myself though & love being able to support others.

I don't mind at all. I reached my goals back in 2007 (lost 36 kg in 28 weeks) & managed to maintain for many years. I have crept back up quite a bit over the last 5 years or so & am finding it that bit harder every year to really focus on getting back down again. I would love to be 10 kg lighter than I am right now. I'll never give up on myself though & love being able to support others.
That is awesome, keep it up! Reminds me of a quote that I saw somewhere, "We rise by lifting others" 😃

Going a little over your calorie goal is definitely better than binging. Especially when you've been swimming: I'm always ravenous after spending some time in cool water.

Hi Mariana:

I've been a bit busy the last couple of weeks and am coming in a bit late, but welcome! I struggled with serious binging for years, even while in full-one "weight loss/counting my calories and doing well" mode. It sabotaged me to the point that I've lost the same 100 pounds (around 45kg) TWICE. After years, I finally recognized that a huge component of my binging was over-restricting calories. Basically I'd get so hungry that I'd eat everything in sight. So, I'm always a proponent of losing weight slowly and steadily. I'll be following.

Oh, and you have THE BEST USER NAME EVER!!! :D

Hi Mariana:

I've been a bit busy the last couple of weeks and am coming in a bit late, but welcome! I struggled with serious binging for years, even while in full-one "weight loss/counting my calories and doing well" mode. It sabotaged me to the point that I've lost the same 100 pounds (around 45kg) TWICE. After years, I finally recognized that a huge component of my binging was over-restricting calories. Basically I'd get so hungry that I'd eat everything in sight. So, I'm always a proponent of losing weight slowly and steadily. I'll be following.

Oh, and you have THE BEST USER NAME EVER!!! :D
Hahaha thank you! You are very resilient, losing 100 lbs twice! It is amazing that you were able to lose weight and get healthy after a relapse. I think over-restricting calories definitely played a part in my bingeing as well. I used to eat only 600-1000 calories when I first lost weight… that definitely triggered binges, which, even though I eat enough now, I still struggle with. Nice to meet to you and know a bit about your story Ben! I’ll be checking your posts as well. Best of luck 🙂

Losing weight slowly by restricting calories a little so as not to have too big a deficit, requires so much concentration & commitment. It's definitely the way to go.

Today did not go as planned… I’ll admit it, I had like 2500 calories. The main reason for it was that I felt like I could “reward” myself with food for doing my Chem test. A really toxic mentality, indeed. I wouldn’t consider today a binge, but I definitely overate. It’s been very tough for me to stick to my calories in these last few weeks, but I won’t give up guys! Let’s just learn from our past mistakes and move on. Do any of you have tips on how to to stick to your calories? That is like the main issue I’ve been having. Exercise wise, I’m doing pretty good. I lifted weights today and did 30 minutes on the treadmill with incline. I just love exercising. Idk if I mentioned this, but I used to be a runner before I had this bone fracture in my leg. I just love sports, so exercising is not a problem, but eating… yeah, that’s where the issues start to appear. Anyway, I’m currently (got here today) in my father’s house and he has a scale (I don’t have one at home), so tomorrow I’ll weigh myself! Goals for the day will be
- Indoor cycle (1 hour)
- 1500-1700 calories (I’ll stretch my goal a bit to make it easier to stick to)
- Drink at least 2 liters of water
Oh! I forgot to mention it, put I don’t have any classes for the rest of this week (holiday where I live), so I’ll be able to exercise in the morning yayyy 🎉

I think that means only 5-9.5% of the energy used in swimming goes to actual propulsion and the rest is "lost" as heat compared to I want to say 30% efficiency for running. (It's been over 20 years since I last tried to pluck that number from my brain so I may be way off.) Of cpurse it isn't really lost because water conducts heat a lot better than air so you'd otherwise cool off pretty quickly with a water temperature that would be perfectly pleasant for air.

As for tips for sticking to your calories, for me it helps to:
- have set mealtimes
- decide what I want to eat beforehand and make sure it's easy to get (as a lot of prep when I'm hungry won't happen)
- have a healthy backup for extra hungry days so I don't start grazing and let that turn into a binge
- keep temptations out of sight and as hard to get at as is reasonably possible if you share a living space
- drink enough (non-alcoholic) fluids

Do any of you have tips on how to to stick to your calories?
The biggest one for me that makes a difference is having lots of easy low calorie foods around to add to my meals--like lots of salads for sure, and then I also like sauerkraut...I love being able to eat a lot and not feel like I'm stuck with tiny meals!
And then eating properly before I know I'm going to be around tempting sweets so that I can have some treats but won't be trying to fill up on them. (i mostly don't bring sweets into my place, but if I do then I just do the same thing at home--eat something healthy first.)

Little update: My day is being quite fun, I did one hour of indoor cycling in the morning (about 35 kms) and spent the rest of the day chilling. I had like 1400 calories so far, but it’s ok because I plan on having a light dinner of yogurt, banana, and honey. I will also go out with a friend to drink some coffee. Enjoying my holiday today, I’ll get back to school work tomorrow (I still need to do some calculus homework and write an essay, but I have 5 free days, so it’s fine to take a day off today)

- decide what I want to eat beforehand and make sure it's easy to get (as a lot of prep when I'm hungry won't happen)
So, yeah, the above is EVERYTHING for me! Pre-planning the night before is EXTREMELY helpful for me.

Little update: My day is being quite fun, I did one hour of indoor cycling in the morning (about 35 kms) and spent the rest of the day chilling. I had like 1400 calories so far, but it’s ok because I plan on having a light dinner of yogurt, banana, and honey. I will also go out with a friend to drink some coffee. Enjoying my holiday today, I’ll get back to school work tomorrow (I still need to do some calculus homework and write an essay, but I have 5 free days, so it’s fine to take a day off today)
Sounds like a great day!

Biking 35 km in an hour would burn 500 kcal or so. I'd say you have room for dinner. May I ask what kind of fracture you have and how long ago it happened?

The biggest one for me that makes a difference is having lots of easy low calorie foods around to add to my meals--like lots of salads for sure, and then I also like sauerkraut...I love being able to eat a lot and not feel like I'm stuck with tiny meals!
And then eating properly before I know I'm going to be around tempting sweets so that I can have some treats but won't be trying to fill up on them. (i mostly don't bring sweets into my place, but if I do then I just do the same thing at home--eat something healthy first.)
Biking 35 km in an hour would burn 500 kcal or so. I'd say you have room for dinner. May I ask what kind of fracture you have and how long ago it happened?
Hey Llama! I got hungry and ended up having dinner lol. About the fracture, it’s a stable fracture in the femur. I think it happened like 5 months ago, but my stubborn self didn’t seek treatment and continued running so it got worse. I stopped running and went to the doctor about a month ago. He said it’ll be good in 2-3 months

Back