Liza

Sounds like a good day. It's funny how I keep hammering on the protein thing for everyone and then struggle to reach my own goal 🙈
Protein's a tough one for me. i'm definitely heavy on carbs...I think that is one thing that tracking my foods on cronometer has really given me is just a really heightened awareness of nutrition. I think i was somewhat healthy before but seeing the breakdowns of what I'm getting nutrient-wise, has really made me aware of all that. It's kind of neat that just becoming aware of weight gain has really helped me in so many aspects health-wise. I'm glad I didn't just become focussed on pure weight-loss as I realize it's actually health I'm after, not just being a certain weight.
All that walking sounds great! And your garden sounds really lovely.
Yes the garden sure adds so much to my life. I absolutely love being in it--the work, the creative aspect, all the nice little birds etc that come visit...so nice!
I love fresh asparagus & it's always so expensive here.
It is always such a nice treat to have for sure!
It sounds like you will be sensible about the walk/run ratio. You love it so much.
Yes really determined to recover properly.

My arms were hurting in the night from yesterday's strengthening session I think! And my back seems stiff...looking forward to the yoga this morning to loosen all things up. That's been a nice addition to my daily routine and a very necessary one I think. My feet feel pretty good this morning so will head out for another walk-run session this morning.

Feeling good about other aspects of my life that I was letting slide for a bit. Got my chart of healthy actions out again and checking off the things that I get done each day which somehow helps motivate me to actually do them (even without having a reward system like Llama's) Somehow just checking the things off is motivation enough.

Your garden does sound amazing ! I should walk more also

Look forward to doing my garden .......we had more snow yesterday plus freezing rain so its going to be awhile before i can do that haha

I don't know if you say which protein powder you use ? I have tried some and they are not smooth / very grainy i think is the word !

I'm glad I didn't just become focussed on pure weight-loss as I realize it's actually health I'm after, not just being a certain weight.
That's such an important realization - and I actually think that in the long run it'll be better that way on the weight front as well. Not as much yoyo-ing.
Got my chart of healthy actions out again and checking off the things that I get done each day which somehow helps motivate me to actually do them (even without having a reward system like Llama's) Somehow just checking the things off is motivation enough.
:p Sounds like you may be more of a grown-up than I am :p

I'm glad I didn't just become focussed on pure weight-loss as I realize it's actually health I'm after, not just being a certain weight.
I love this. Me too!
Well done on getting out that chart, Liza. I love the idea of it.

we had more snow yesterday plus freezing rain so its going to be awhile before i can do that haha
Yes! Gardening and walking definitely more inviting when there isn't freezing rain!
I don't know if you say which protein powder you use ? I have tried some and they are not smooth / very grainy i think is the word !
I use Vega proteins and greens. I actually like it. I get the non-flavored one.
That's such an important realization - and I actually think that in the long run it'll be better that way on the weight front as well. Not as much yoyo-ing.
well yeah and I notice how much stronger and better I feel actually looking after my body. As a teen I was skinny but so unhealthy!
Sounds like you may be more of a grown-up than I am :p
lol not sure about that, I think I can't really think of any ways to reward myself as I tend to indulge in whatever I like regardless of how well I have behaved haha
Good for you getting out the chart and getting motivated.
Thanks!
I love this. Me too!
Well done on getting out that chart, Liza. I love the idea of it.
Yes I really like that many of us on here seem to be aware of how to be healthy, rather than just pure weight loss.

I moved up to a 3:1 run-walk ratio yesterday. My pain did go up, so I will probably stay at that level until it goes down again. Maybe just keep it there for the week. That actually feels good enough along with the walking to get some good enough cardio in. And now with the addition of yoga each morning, and the gardening thrown in, it feels like a nice balance of movement...

Food choices were good. morning: pancakes, almond butter and some almonds for a snack. Lunch was rice with tofu and stir-fried veggies and lots of salad. Supper some cheese and crackers. Had some protein powder as well as more almonds throughout the day....still cronometer says not enough protein...but getting there!

Today I have stuff i need to do in the morning so probably just some basic stretches before I get going for the day.

I moved up to a 3:1 run-walk ratio yesterday. My pain did go up, so I will probably stay at that level until it goes down again. Maybe just keep it there for the week.
At least a week. And maybe even go back to the 2:1 if the pain isn't better tomorrow.
Had some protein powder as well as more almonds throughout the day....still cronometer says not enough protein...but getting there!
It's a real struggle some days. But working on it is better than not working on it!

At least a week. And maybe even go back to the 2:1 if the pain isn't better tomorrow.
ok thanks. yesterday I didn't run at all and the pain seemed mostly good and had gone down considerably so will see how it goes with 3:1 again today. I keep getting sad when i feel so cut off from my old joy of running, but I know I can't rush this process lest I lose it altogether.

Food sounds quite yummy and you are certainly getting loads of movement in!!
Yes at least it's nice to add in more variety with the running not taking as much time up. I think the yoga is especially beneficial--i'm really noticing how tight so much of my body is!

Another good day, Liza & that food does sound very yummy!
Thanks Cate!

Scale was up to 145 today, but body fat measurements have stayed the same (was at 26%) so I'm hoping just inflammation. But will continue to monitor it...certainly don't want to go back to gaining...

It's looking cool and wet and a nice day for a run. Hopefully followed by a meditative walk as well...I could possibly even walk-run out to the nature reserve....though that is a bit far...we'll see....could do that and then bus back maybe....or maybe just stick to my usual trails. It's really beautiful in there right now and a lot of the trails that are tough going in the winter months are perfect right now. They're especially nice because they're less frequented and sort of rougher compared to the outer loops.

Food choices good again yesterday. Was my sugar free friday again...

The nature reserve sounds lovely. Well done on a sugar-free Friday, Liza. Is that an every-week thing?

Variation in exercise is excellent for brain and body
Yeah I wish I felt more confident with more variety. Would love to feel like I could just go swimming or cycling instead while my foot heals....but i'm afraid walking and running seem to be the only things I feel comfy with...i dunno--maybe I should look at getting a bike. The hills are insane around here though and I really can't imagine i could get very far with one...though i guess i could walk the bike up the hills and slowly work up...could certainly be a good challenge! I'll look around at the cost of one.

The nature reserve sounds lovely. Well done on a sugar-free Friday, Liza. Is that an every-week thing?
I was doing a sugar-free Friday during Lent which is finished now so don't know if I'll keep it up...it was a good practice in seeing that I don't actually have to have sugar every day! haha

Yesterday was pretty disappointing in terms of the walk-run session. Pain started in quickly. I only got a few round of running in, kept shortening the running intervals but my feet were just not at all happy so changed it to just a walk. The first hour of walking went ok...but then the pain again and I had another hour to walk then before i got home. So that was tough. Reassessing my approach again. Lots of googling what other runners are doing and it really seems to be quite a variety of what can work. So I'm going to just keep kind of playing it by ear. It is interesting now in that my pain is more while I'm actually running rather than like before where it would go away during the run and then come on more afterwards...

Anyhow...besides that, my day was pretty good. good food, healthy activities checked off on my list, a bit of socializing....so yeah can't complain too much!

I hate being a downer but running is hard on irritated tendons. If you run more slowly than you're used to and not too long, avoiding very uneven ground, you can probably keep some running in but don't expect to build back up quickly. It's probably going to take months.

my day was pretty good. good food, healthy activities checked off on my list, a bit of socializing....so yeah can't complain too much!
I know how much running means to you, so it's disappointing that you are still experiencing pain when you run :grouphug:

hate being a downer but running is hard on irritated tendons.
Don't worry--you're not a downer--my plantar fasciitis is! Yes I've been reading how long it can take for it to heal. I don't mind taking the time but it is discouraging when I start to think I've figured out what is ok and then that also turns out to be painful...there seems to be no set formula for healing this.
But one positive was while the actual walk-run was painful once i got home there wasn't pain, and the next day was also ok...so i'm feeling more encouraged again. I've also been slowly breaking in my new runners on walks so I'm hoping they might be helpful once they become my new running shoes. I might try them out today for some small running intervals.
I know how much running means to you, so it's disappointing that you are still experiencing pain when you run :grouphug:
Yes it's really hard to not get that feeling of a good run in. I was remembering that feeling of walking home after a good challenging run and how high I would feel...now it's just limping home from a painful run :(

I am thinking seriously about getting a bike though. I will try to head down to the bike store this week sometime. Now that feels like it will be a super big challenge. I know nothing about bikes and I feel like my complete ignorance will be embarrassing. But maybe I can ask a friend to come with who does know something about bikes. Would be really good for me to have some variety in movement since running is generally hard on joints anyhow. I do sort of also fear for my safety on a bike around here. The bike lanes are not great. The last place I owned a bike the bike lanes were so awesome. Fully divided off from traffic, so safe even for a beginner cyclist.

I could see myself really enjoying cycling if I took the leap though.

Yesterday was strength and stretch and some walking, though not much. Food choices good for the most part...except way too much sugar...there was pie and chocolate....nice to indulge for easter after a few days of no sugar though!
I am thinking I'll have to go back to recording calories if I don't want to keep gaining which is a pain...

A bike would be lovely! Bringing a friend who knows about bikes would probably be sensible or they'll try to talk you into something stupid expensive.

Getting a bike would be great. I hope you do 🤞 Taking a friend along would be a very good idea.

A bike would be lovely! Bringing a friend who knows about bikes would probably be sensible or they'll try to talk you into something stupid expensive.
Yeah I'm worried about them selling me something expensive or something that's no good for what I actually want...
Getting a bike would be great. I hope you do 🤞 Taking a friend along would be a very good idea.
We'll see...it would be an entirely new skill for me. Different muscles etc...but looking at how I did with running over the past few years I have a bit more confidence that I could develop the skills needed.

Yesterday I went out with my new shoes (that i'd been breaking in walking) to a flat grassy field to try a short walk-run session hoping that between my new shoes, and the soft level grass that my feet would be ok. They were ok during the session and I felt so happy that that might be my way to building back, but later in the afternoon I had so much pain again...so it's back to working it out further. Will consider taking 1 or 2 weeks off any running and also looking at trying taping my feet--a recommendation from some pt's online that some people say made all the difference for them. One can hope!

Other than the pain in the afternoon, my day went pretty good. I mean I did enjoy the walk-run session while it happened, and later bought a good amount of groceries to replace my hugely dwindling supply, so that feels good to be re-stocked. Today I will probably try for a good garden session along with my stretch and strength. I need to remember to add in leg strengthening now that I'm not getting the leg exercise I was getting running all those lovely hills!

And yes, back to calorie counting I think today. Yesterday was another day of over-eating...i think trying to numb the pain!

That sucks about the pain coming on after such a good session! Proper new shoes are still probably going to be helpful though, and I'm sure you'll find your way back to running.

Back