Liza

Sure, it's a shock sometimes when you see the day but if it means you forgot the time because you were so in flow that's wonderful.
Gardens are the one place I completely lose track of time as I get so absorbed in it--really such a beautiful feeling for sure!
I'm glad your foot is starting to come right.
Yes I hope I can keep it healing--so hard to know how much to do and how much to go easy on it. I fear losing my running momentum so I hate to let up too much on that...
As someone that sustains themselves on sandwiches, whenever I eat properly, I feel and look so much better. All that lovely food sounds great.
Yes it feels so good when I get some good proper meals in with lots and lots of veggies!

I was starting to feel/fear that I was gaining weight again without proper tracking, so I did a weigh in with body fat measurement this morning and was relieved to see it seems to have stayed the same at 143 pounds and 27% bf. However I feel like I would like to try again to see if I can get the scale moving downward at all. Last attempt was so discouraging when I did all that calorie counting and it wouldn't move, but i might try again...I caught a glimpse of myself in side profile in a mirror yesterday and my gut was shocking--probably partly bloat and a not-flattering shirt didn't help, but still...the trick will be to try without getting too down if it doesn't work again. I want to keep my happiness going...

Today hoping for a walk-run session with some yoga. My legs were super tight after those last gardening sessions-so much squatting as I worked I think! Happily my back has stayed so far so good through it all.

Keeping a healthy balance, whether it's with challenging/resting your body or challenging/enjoying your food habits is genuinely difficult and even when you find it once the substrate keeps changing so you can never really do it on autopilot. Good to hear your back is keeping up well though: one less thing to worry about.

Keeping a healthy balance, whether it's with challenging/resting your body
Yes this is especially tricky right now--just not sure at all what the best move is for proper healing!
& this seems more important to me. You seem so much happier these days & you are a healthy weight. We will never be "perfect" because perfect does not exist.
Yes I definitely don't want to become over-concerned with weight-loss when really this is good enough. I think just the sight of my gut scared me--but it was just bloated I think...just good ol' food sensitivities I think...But yeah I'm always concerned about the scale moving back up and it would be nice to feel I had a bit more wiggle room...

Anyhow...yesterday went pretty good. Did a short walk-run up to the trails and then once in the trails did a nice slow meditative meander through the springtime of them. Just beautiful.

My feet were hurting, but not terribly...still trying to figure them out...I'm starting to wonder if I should just take a good month off running altogether and just stick to walks for now...well and yoga and strength training and the garden...just no more pounding on the heel to aggravate things...we'll see...I see that I'm just worried that I won't get back to it if I take a break...but also worried that if i don't take a break I might ruin things further and also not be able to carry on running...no easy answers...

I'm surprised by my overall stiffness of my body this morning. My arms, my shoulders, my legs...looking forward to my yoga session loosening things up.

Ate fairly well yesterday...but really need to stay on top of protein which was low again. Had a slight deficit for calories.

When I catch sight of myself in my office mirror when I'm sitting bent over a patient I swear I just want to jump out of the window and disappear forever! Bloat and posture make such a difference

got in a bunch more gardening
I am envious of you, my garden is still white and frozen. Gardening is good therapy. I have been trying to do some prep on the occasional good day, but most of my outside experiences have involved snow plowing or shoveling. It's snowing now...
I was starting to feel/fear that I was gaining weight again without proper tracking, so I did a weigh in with body fat measurement this morning and was relieved to see it seems to have stayed the same at 143 pounds and 27% bf.
Good for you! I understand that problem, when I stop dieting well I stop weighing... Glad to see that you are at a healthy weight.
Yes I definitely don't want to become over-concerned with weight-loss when really this is good enough
Another problem we share. I like your attitude!

When I catch sight of myself in my office mirror when I'm sitting bent over a patient I swear I just want to jump out of the window and disappear forever! Bloat and posture make such a difference
Yes those surprise glances when we aren't ready for them can be quite a shocker! Glad to know I'm not alone :)
I am envious of you, my garden is still white and frozen. Gardening is good therapy. I have been trying to do some prep on the occasional good day, but most of my outside experiences have involved snow plowing or shoveling. It's snowing now...
Yes so nice to have a long garden season. i lived a long time in areas that would still be snow now so I get that whole thing. Snow shovelling is excellent exercise though so there's that benefit...(nice to see you here again btw!)
Could you give running a miss just for one week & see how your feet feel?

I think I basically missed about a week last week and they did feel better...so now it's the question of is it beneficial to keep resting them so they fully heal or do I do a walk-run program to see if i can slowly build up to proper distances again. My feet felt good yesterday so that was nice to see as often it's been the day after running that they are really bad, so now I'm tending toward continuing with the walk-run program with just keeping the running intervals super short. I have googled a lot about it and the info just isn't all that straightforward so I think it's a lot of just paying attention and not pushing too hard.

yesterday was ok...but had a pretty good round of anxiety, which led me into some unhealthy moves. Food-wise wasn't terrible, more like just sinking into an evening on the couch and not doing positive things to shift the mind-set. Feeling better this morning. Probably will try for a walk-run session with some yoga first. Want to keep the yoga to a daily thing. And if anxiety hits today, my goal is to continue with the healthy things regardless.

I think I basically missed about a week last week and they did feel better...so now it's the question of is it beneficial to keep resting them so they fully heal or do I do a walk-run program to see if i can slowly build up to proper distances again.
Generally if the issue is with muscles it makes sense to take a somewhat longer rest while with tendons it's more helpful to keep loading at an intensity low enough to avoid triggering the issue and rebuilding slowly.

Either way FULL rest is only needed when you have something like an unstable fracture, where loading the tissue further damages it.

so I think it's a lot of just paying attention and not pushing too hard.
Sounds like a sensible plan. Hope your anxiety disappears. I often wake anxious & then have to tell myself that there's nothing to be anxious about. When that happens I'm always glad if it's a day when I don't have to go anywhere.

I'm sure you look better to everyone else than to yourself... most of us are guilty of that.

Yes I definitely don't want to become over-concerned with weight-loss when really this is good enough. I think just the sight of my gut scared me--but it was just bloated I think...just good ol' food sensitivities I think...But yeah I'm always concerned about the scale moving back up and it would be nice to feel I had a bit more wiggle room...
I would recommend (and I'm not saying it's easy) that you picture yourself as staying fit and healthy and active and flush all those fears down the toilet. They're holding you back, Liza. You're in such good shape NOW. I would love to see you really embrace that and enjoy it a bit more, instead of worrying about something that might never happen!

(The above is said with love. :))

Generally if the issue is with muscles it makes sense to take a somewhat longer rest while with tendons it's more helpful to keep loading at an intensity low enough to avoid triggering the issue and rebuilding slowly.
I had to look up if plantar fasciitis would be muscle or tendon--it said ligament...so not sure where that would fall in with treatment...but yeah it seems most advise to not continue with aggravating it with too much running on pavement...so just going to keep testing what feels ok. Maybe could try just walking up to the trails, and then walk-run sessions in the trails...we'll see...

Sounds like a sensible plan. Hope your anxiety disappears. I often wake anxious & then have to tell myself that there's nothing to be anxious about. When that happens I'm always glad if it's a day when I don't have to go anywhere.
Yeah it is nice if you don't have to go anywhere when anxious...although that can backfire for me as it is usually better for me to just go ahead with the things as planned to show myself I can do things even when anxious...not an easy practice though!

I'm sure you look better to everyone else than to yourself... most of us are guilty of that.
Oh yes! We're usually our own worst critics for sure!
I would recommend (and I'm not saying it's easy) that you picture yourself as staying fit and healthy and active and flush all those fears down the toilet. They're holding you back, Liza. You're in such good shape NOW. I would love to see you really embrace that and enjoy it a bit more, instead of worrying about something that might never happen!

(The above is said with love. :))
Aw thanks so much--I feel the love :) I like that idea of focusing on the positive--a good reminder indeed!

Yesterday was actually very lovely. I had intended to do a walk-run session, but my morning got a bit sidetracked and then it would have been a bit late to go running. I figured I could fit in a bit of gardening instead which was really lovely. Weeded around my new peas popping up, and the asparagus popping up, harvested some of last years kale that has sprung into new life again (the beauty of living in a climate that doesn't have too harsh of winters!)

I hope to fit in a walk-run session this morning instead.

Ate well for the most part. Some nice black bean soup for lunch, and a tofu/ noodle dish for supper, both with my garden kale thrown in :)

Thanks @Emilyrose, @Llama and @Cate! (and jojo stopping by!)

Yes so nice to see the asparagus popping up--the asparagus was planted by others before I moved here so I inherited the good work of others! It is such a treat to have every year and takes very little care. I have been truly blessed with this garden space at this place. It is such a dream come true for me considering I'll probably never be able to own my own house, this is pretty much exactly what I would want. It was cared for so well by the previous people and has lots of perennials that i get to enjoy--lovely trees, flowers, bushes, and yes, the asparagus along with it all...

Yesterday did my walk-run session. I couldn't be bothered to walk to the trails before running as that would have taken too much time of street walking. (i like to get the roads over with and get to the trails!) If I want to do purely trail running I would probably have to bus it up there...but I will see how my foot does if I just stick to the slow and steady approach with the walk-run. I've gone back to the beginning of the recovery schedule and am going to do my best to stick with it this time instead of trying to jump ahead. So yesterday was 2:1 ten times--so just 20 min running. The walk time I extended though, as I wanted to include some meditative walking through the trails which I did and then later got more walking--so probably about 90 mins walking in total with 20 mins running...my feet did hurt after that, but today will be taking it easy and as long as they feel fully recovered by tomorrow I will be happy. Continuing to be very conscious of lots of stretching throughout the day too.

Food choices pretty good. Need to order in some more protein powder though as I know I shouldn't be skimping on that. Will try and get to that today.

Sounds like a good day. It's funny how I keep hammering on the protein thing for everyone and then struggle to reach my own goal 🙈

Your garden really does sound wonderful. I love fresh asparagus & it's always so expensive here. I hope your feet recover quickly from the run. It sounds like you will be sensible about the walk/run ratio. You love it so much.

Back