Liposuction.....then what

Status
Not open for further replies.

fung1

I am not against liposuction. Never had it nor never will, but I can only assume it works. A lot of people have benefited from it and look great. The only thing I can say about it is, if you get it, you will need to change your lifestyle or it will come full circle and you will get big again. I thank comman sense would tell everyone that if you got big once, and you were able to get a 2nd chance, take advantage of this chance and live differently

Lipo is to dieting is what steriods is to muscle building. You can take a shot in the arm for some short term gain but it wont' last forever.

i dont think EVERY liposuction case is a bad idea or necessarily taking the easy way out. if i had the money, i'd get it done in a heartbeat. i've already lost all my weight but there are areas that still need work that sometimes you just cant get done yourself. well in my case its probably just extra skin for the most part.

Sometime's some people need help from lip or other surgeries for obesity.
It's nothing bad - and it may just be the kickstart some people need.
I'd sign up - if they were free...

it's true

I think I am going to get lipo before long. I met with the surgeon and he confirmed that you do not regain the weight where you've been lipo'ed. The reason is because the fat cells themselves are removed so there's nothing left there to store the fat. However, you can (and will) gain MORE in areas that have not been lipo'ed. So if you lipo tummy, expect facial, breast, thigh, buttocks gain.

I think lipo is probably good for areas where you've been unable to lose the weight for those last few stubborn pounds, but it's not an alternative to weight loss because unless your habits change no weight loss will be permanent.

Where are you considering getting lipo'd and have youconsidered talking to a personal trainer for advice on using exercise to reduce those areas?

Going under anesthetic to me, just seems like it's somethng that should be avoided unless absolutely necessary, but good luck with whatever youdecide./

This was an 'ask the doctor' question on Glamour.com...

Q. Will liposuction help me keep extra weight off?
A. No. While liposuction does remove enough fat to make a visible change, what's left can still get bigger over time if you overeat and don't exercise. And lipo can remove only a very small percentage of your weight from specific areas, not a lot of pounds from all over your body. It's also worth noting that the procedure carries a small risk of infection, bleeding and a rare complication called a fat embolism, in which a clot of fat cells moves through the bloodstream and lodges in the lungs. I don't want to sound wholly negative about lipo: For some women, the boost in appearance may improve their self-esteem and even motivate them to go to the gym and eat more healthfully. But in my opinion, the healthiest and safest way to slim and contour your body is with a healthy diet and regular exercise.

fung said:
I am not against liposuction. Never had it nor never will, but I can only assume it works. A lot of people have benefited from it and look great. The only thing I can say about it is, if you get it, you will need to change your lifestyle or it will come full circle and you will get big again. I thank comman sense would tell everyone that if you got big once, and you were able to get a 2nd chance, take advantage of this chance and live differently
I totally agree with you and that's why I'm here! I will have a liposuction in a few weeks but I know that if I keep my actual eating habits, I will gain back the weight I have now. So I want to take new eating and weight control habits. I'm not able to move a lot so I can't do sport but I will. I just have to kill the lazy habits like sitting in front of the tv watching soap operas and eating snacks:mad:! So everyone that thought about liposuction should know that! Even if the lipo takes away your weight, it doesn't teach you to good eating manners. This you will have to do on your own and with (real)friends help!

Isnt Lipo for shaping rather than weight loss though? I mean that was the whole idea of it.
If you are 100lb overweight i wouldnt expect you can have lipo everywhere to cure it :)
However if you were down to weight but still had some sag or extra fat bags that you couldnt remove (inner thigh, hips, baby belly etc) then it would be ideal.

I got lipo

Hi,
I'm new to the boards. I just posted over on the weight loss through exercise.
I got lipo on my thighs and calves about 9 years ago. My results only lasted about 3 years and then the sagging and mystery bumps started to appear. I have skin around my ankles that needs to be "pulled up". (I'll be going to a different surgeon to correct this)

The fat can come back! (If you don't take care to eat right and exercise) Also, cellulite may not be that prevelant before surgery but it rears its ugly stuff later - all based on your genetics.
But some of the poor results are my own fault. Although I continued to exercise after the surgery, it was on again-off again and I didn't know a lot about nutrition at the time. I just wanted to have have normal sized calves.

I started exercising again last Feb. and have continued to exercise 6 days a week and introuduced strength training too. I'm addicted now and love it! I've never exercised with this much consistency. I'm also eating so much more healthier and I've dropped 2 sizes, and lost 15 pounds. Because I'm gaining muscle I'm not seeing a huge loss on the scale but it's in my clothes where it matters! Even my calves are smaller and my thighs are getting toned! YEE HOO!

I think lipo is great if you are going to continue to exercise and eat right after the surgery.
Just my 2 cents!:)

Well, same here, I had lipo about 20 yrs ago in my inner thighs, at the same time I had a tummy tuck, tummy tuck is still great, lipo turned out horrible now years later, even though i have not gained the fat or weight in that particular area, the skin sagging and bulges are something horrible, and eventually i have the feeling that no exercise will correct this and I might have to do once again go not for lipo but to cut the sagging skin or pull up the sagging skin, i have these two bulges of loose skin in between my legs that make me super self consciuos, so me myself I don't beleive in lipo..... and will not do it ever again, regular plastic surgery of cutting excess yes, lipo nope.....

Loly: encouraging update!

It's been awhile since I posted but I wanted to tell you that my body is shaping up. I am going to get a bit more lipo by the ankles. For some reason the previous surgeon didn't do lipo the way it should have been done. I'm going to a different surgeon with a different approach.
But as far as the thighs go, mine are coming in and some of the bumps are going away. I've been strength training though and doing various types of lunges, and the Firm signature move where you step up on the step on the highest step and come back down with weights. Plus, I started running again. They're not totally gone, but I'm very encouraged.
If you can, pick up or borrow from your library the Body for Life Women by Dr. Peeke. Look closely at the women's legs. Even though they didn't have lipo, there are some who had bumpy and dimpled skin. Weight training really toned it up so I think there's some hope for us!
I've gone from a size 10 to a 6. No dieting. Just trading healthier foods and working out - which I love to do now. Who would have thought?

I have also had lipo recently and have posted pics (some graphic) from before, during the op and post op. I do not regret having it done even though I cannot see the full result yet.

lipo-cycle

I know someone who's had three or more lipo procedures. The fat goes back again and again. I wonder if it's just her lifestyle or if there's some physiological alteration once you get it done.

I saved up money and almost got liposuction, but then i realzied i'd just gain the weight back. I need to have the willpower to actaully change my lifestyle and eatting habits or else i'd just be getting liposuction agian and agian and nothing would ever really change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back