Lingwo's Log - Take 2

Dec 13/21 Weight: 213.6lbs (+1.2lbs /-4.4bs)
Calories: 2497 / Protein: 91g

A little high on the calories, a little low on the protein. This morning I took a break from strength training but did go to the gym and did some cardio on the elliptical. It was supposed to be lower body day but my knees keep popping any time I do quadricep work lately so figured I would do something low impact.

Does it make a difference whether your quad exercises are open or closed chain? Closed chain is generally easier to coordinate. Also: if you don't stretch your quads and hamstrings regularly that might make a difference.

@LaMaria good question. In particular, lunges and leg extensions cause the popping. Squats and leg press seem to be fine. Unsure the difference between open and closed chain.

Dec 14/21 Weight: 212.0lbs (-1.6lbs /-6.0bs)
Calories: 1640 / Protein: 91g

Did a chest/triceps/shoulders day this morning, and the dumbells felt light. It's good to see some decent strength progression even though I've been averaging a caloric deficit over the past while. Unfortunately, had to skip cardio today as I had to pickup a groomsmen suit for a friends wedding this weekend right after the gym and before I start work.

Today's going to be a relatively busy day. I've got an interview for a new job in Luxembourg, a virtual wine tasting event with my current team at work as we can't physically get together right now for a Christmas party, and likely some shoveling as it's started to snow again today. Depending how much wine I sample / snow we get I may try and get back to the gym in the evening to do the cardio I missed this morning.

Squats and leg press are closed chain, leg extension is open chain, lunges are weird. I'd say keep the squats and the leg press for now, maybe skip leg extensions, and try backward lunges instead of forward ones. (This is not medical advice; just something that might be worth a try.)

Online communal wine tasting sounds like a lot of fun! Best of luck with the interview.

Sorry you gained some weight back through the move Lingwo, but I am sure your new routines and better lifestyle will help you on your way.

March 22/22 Weight: 213.8lbs (+1.8lbs /-3.2bs)
Calories: 1495 / Protein: 89g

So, I've been going sideways since I last posted in December :confused:. I've regrouped, and ready to focus on this again - a colleague of mine who was only 45 passed away over the weekend with a heart attack, so something like that puts things back into perspective.

I'm going to keep reminding myself of two things during this attempt of getting back in shape:

1) By delaying gratification now, my future self will thank me.
2) Both good behaviors and bad behaviors compound, just like interest.

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho it's off to the gym I go.

Welcome back! I had an anomalous blood pressure reading that shocked me so I think I may be a bit more sensible for a while as well...

Welcome back! I had an anomalous blood pressure reading that shocked me so I think I may be a bit more sensible for a while as well...

I should really check mine soon too! I get nervous checking these things in case something shows up wrong. I did check my blood sugars yesterday, and those are fine. Unfortunately I have both heart disease and diabetes risk running in my family.

Nothing like a health scare to refocus you.

Checking and knowing is better than ignoring the problem and getting a surprise stroke.

I'm glad you're back & refocused. A friend of ours had a mini-stroke recently. He is not overweight, but I think he has a very unhealthy diet & drinks lots of beer. I hope this frightens him enough to change his diet.
Keeping your blood pressure down is so important. I have to keep my sodium intake down if I don't want a burst ascending aorta, so that keeps me in check. We have to take responsibility for our own health & it's better sooner than when it may be too late.

I'm glad you're back & refocused. A friend of ours had a mini-stroke recently. He is not overweight, but I think he has a very unhealthy diet & drinks lots of beer. I hope this frightens him enough to change his diet.
Keeping your blood pressure down is so important. I have to keep my sodium intake down if I don't want a burst ascending aorta, so that keeps me in check. We have to take responsibility for our own health & it's better sooner than when it may be too late.
Totally - I'm trying to be more present when making decisions now as to what it means for future me versus just doing what feels good in the moment. It's also financially helpful because I was using DoorDash way too often.

March 24/22 Weight: 214.6lbs (-0.6lbs /-2.4bs)
Calories: 1566 / Protein: 98g

Was feeling sick yesterday so I took an off day from the gym. Every time I go into an intentional caloric deficit I get sick, it's pretty annoying.

Woke up this morning and did some painting. I still have a lot of my house that needs to be painted, but it's nice to be kind of active while also doing something that's productive.

Do you drop your calories very quickly/by a lot? I could see that being a shock to the system. Hope you're feeling better today.

I hope you feel better tomorrow. Can you work out the sweet spot, where you're in a deficit, but not so low you feel sick, & stick to that? 1800-2000 maybe?

Do you drop your calories very quickly/by a lot? I could see that being a shock to the system. Hope you're feeling better today.

I hope you feel better tomorrow. Can you work out the sweet spot, where you're in a deficit, but not so low you feel sick, & stick to that? 1800-2000 maybe?

So, it turns out this sickness is an actual bug and not calorie related. A few other people I've had contact with over the past week are also sick.

That being said, yeah Cate 1800 calories is probably a realistic deficit target for me.

March 24/22 Weight: 212.4lbs (-2.2lbs /-4.6bs)
Calories: 1656 / Protein: 90g

I'm still feeling sick without much of an appetite. Will hopefully get a little painting done, but otherwise this will likely be a day of mainly just sleeping.

When you're sick getting better is the first priority. Rest up and nourish your body as well as you can.

Back