Leg Muscle "Dent"??

I've got them too - depressions across both thighs at the same height (about 1/2 ways between knee and groin), this is about the same location as where a pair of cycle pants would end (don't actually wear them). They formed about 6 weeks ago (I think, don't really make a habit of inspecting my thighs - definitely noticed them about this time). Routine - workout every week day morning before work, about an hour, alternating cardio and weight training, moved to low impact cardio (treadmill over 1/2 hour 40 mins up to incline 8 and down again) about 4 months ago as achilles started playing up), do yoga 2-3 times weekly. Only other factors I can think of is move to duplex in May with 4 flights of stairs (great for quads) and internal stairscase + skiiing for first time this year (shortly before these formed) - am going to see osteopath this week to see if he has any ideas... Will let you know if he has any theories or suggestions.

I have the same problem! I don't work out or lift weights. (I'm going to be screwed when my metabolism slows down.) But, I'm twenty years old and male, and a few months ago I noticed these indentations. Its like someone layed a heavy bar across the middle of my thighs. You can't see them unless you're looking for them, but when you run your hand acrossed,, you can definitely feel them. Idk what in the world it is. It doesn't hurt, but I don't think its normal. I'm glad I'm not the only one, though.

I would agree, but I have the same problem, only I've never lost weight like that. I've been about the same weight for years now. Since I was fifteen. And I haven't lost weight since then. Just gained a few pounds here or there, then lost them, then found them, etc. lol

I have never joined a forum but after reading your post about the dent, I felt compelled to. Once I had a dent in my arm (deltoid area) and the doctors were all stumped but long story short it was from a steroid shot (for an allergic reaction) a month earlier and that's why I never put the two together. When you have a steroid shot and it doesn't go far enough in, it kills your fat cells in that area. After several months it replenished and looks normal but I had an orthopedic try to convince me I needed surgery and thank the Lord I didn't listen. Right now I have a dent in about the same area you are talking about and had another steroid shot given in the hip back in may and think it's caused from that. I'm not worried about it because of what had happened to my arm and that's why I joined so you wouldn't spend more money trying to figure it out or worry. Think back if you ever had a steroid shot in the hip. It could have been months ago and the dent starts out very minimal at first so you don't notice.

Dent in right quad

I figured out why I had a dent in my right quad! :D I was leaning against a counter every day for years, at work. One day, while doing leg presses I noticed a dent in my quad. I searched the web and found this message board. I also found one where someone mentioned leaning against a bathroom vanity to put on makeup. I checked the dent in my quad and sure enough it lined up perfectly with the edge of the counter at work. I stopped leaning against it about 3 months ago and the dent is gone! The muscle weakness I had in my right leg is also gone and I am running more evenly. When I had the dent, my right leg was noticably weaker and I was running with a slight limp. It's hard to believe, but leaning against your quad muscle can damage it. Wonder if this is what happened to others that posted messages about dents in their quads???

Thank you Chrisp, you have solved my issue!!!!! I too noticed a dent in both quads, especially the left quad and got kinda worried because my friend who injects insulin for diabetes was also getting a dent in her thigh.....I realised after reading your post, it wasn't anything to do with muscle break down, but from leaning against the dressing table every morning to put on my Mascara (my eye sight is pretty **** unless I am close to the mirror!!!) I am left handed so I leant against the dressing table, predominantly with my left thigh...When I leant against it to test your theory, it lined up PERFECTLY!!!! Thank you very much for the information. Phew!

I've been worried for ages!

So glad I got up the courage to google this today, have been putting it off for ages but my legs have been getting worse. I have a perfectly straight line going right across the front of each thigh in the same place and it's been getting worse over the last few months. Very defined to the touch and if I'm standing in a shadowy room my legs look deformed. Have been so self conscious in shorts and on the beach this summer.

Anyway, after finding this thread I went and checked the house out - it's our bathroom! The bathroom sink is built in, and the drawer beneath has a long bar type handle that matches my 'dents' perfectly...bloody Ikea! We've only been in the house 8 months so explains the sudden appearance. I must lean against this bar everytime I wash my hands, brush teeth etc.

Off to take some photo's for comparison later, and to tie something around the handle so I can't lean on it!
Thanks to everyone who has posted here! x

dents in both thighs at the front of my legs

Goodness, I cannot believe how many other people have the same problem as me. I also have a dent in the front of my thighs, started with a small dent on my right leg which has got bigger and now on my left leg as well. Quite a long time ago I had injections in my hip, first right hip x 2 then 1 in my left hip. I ride horses around 4-6 times a week. I dont lean against anything that could have caused the dents. They are very noticeable now, they can be seen when I wear jodhs and any close fitting leggings, trousers etc. No pain, does not affect me in anyway, just looks awful. Like many others on here I am now hoping the dents will disappear very soon.

I wonder if anyone medical will be able to help us?

Glad I am not alone though.

I have these dents across my thighs -- maybe six inches above knee. I think it's from leaning my iPad on my thighs every night for hours at a time! I noticed this six months ago and stopped holding my iPad this way -- so far no change. Has anyone seen improvement without doing anything drastic like fat grafts??

Hi, i'm new to the dent club, mine appeared 2 days ago, I've been doing a lot of kitesurfing and wake boarding lately and the day it appeared I did both yoga and kite. I took a pic but can't upload it here from my iPad. It's very reassuring to see its a sporty thing, now I'm not worried about it. It happens to be positioned right on a cafe au lait spot (my only one) so I was actually quite worried it was something caused by sun exposure. Having read the posts here it looks like its just a coincidence its in the same place. I'm very relieved to see lots of people have it. Thanks for taking the time to post, especially the pics.

Greetings, I noticed this "dent" in my quad muscle when it started to give a slight pain. I figured out where it came from: My office chair that I sit in daily for hours sometimes.

My leg was leaning on one of the arm rest support brackets. The dent aligned perfectly with it. My temporary solution was to remove the arm rests from the chair. Now it is wait as see.

I wonder if there are any exercises, lotions, medications, etc. to assist with this issue? I'm trying heat pads and heat rubs.

Chris P thank you so much for posting this! I've also had this dent in my Quad, the right one, for a while now, and I believe its from leaning over my bathroom counter everyday to put on makeup, now that I've heard it from someone else I'm starting to think that that's' exactly the problem. I've been working out to help strengthen the muscle and now I just hope that it will resolve itself overtime and heal.

I know I totally wanted to go to a day spa and do cellulite treatments. But I think it took a while for the dent to develope so it it might prob take at least 6 months to heal itself.

I have the same problem. Found this. It's prolonged leaning. Measured things around wrk and found that leaning into my Cnc machine. Perfect fit, I'll make sure not to lean against it anymore.

Leaning

Ok so I pretty much just registered so I could post on here about this. I too googled 'leg dent' and got this forum, and I've finally figured it out!
I just moved into Halls of Residence at university. I've been using the free gym and running a lot, and I was quite happy with myself, until I noticed these two horizontal dents in the fronts of both thighs and the exact same spot on both legs. I figured it was a muscle forming funny because I was running, but I was confused because I used to run a lot and never had it before. It started to get worse though, and I got really self conscious. You can even see it through pants! So I tried to stop running for a month and nothing changed.
Long story short, I read that someone said they got their dents from leaning on something all the time. Well guess what, the vanity in my new room has a low shelf which lines up PERFECTLY with both dents, and I'm always leaning on there like an hour a day drying my hair and doing my makeup! how strange is it that you can alter your physique from leaning on something? I'm now convinced that's what it is because it makes so much sense. I will stop leaning on it and update in a month. My advice is also to look around and see if anything fits in your dent!! Trust me, mine are huge and deep I never would have guessed

YES!! I came on just to post too. I've been baffled with this issue. I thought it could be my fluid level or something. Thought maybe it had to do with breast feeding or something. I read this and kept running through everything in my head that I lean against. Sure enough... I had a baby a few months ago and her changing table fits the dents perfectly. I must lean against that 8-10 times a day changing her diaper and getting her dressed. Thank you everyone for your responses. So glad to figure out the reason. Seriously, think about what you might lean against.

I have the same thing you do in the third picture on the thigh. I am puzzled and I don't know where it suddenly came from. I want to go to the doctor but I don't even know what doctor to go to. Did you ever find out what caused it? please let me know if you figured out what it is. Much appreciation for your response.

I have the same thing you do in the third picture on the thigh. I am puzzled and I don't know where it suddenly came from. I want to go to the doctor but I don't even know what doctor to go to. Did you ever find out what caused it? please let me know if you figured out what it is. Much appreciation for your response.

Hey. I believe I also have the same case as you. It's not like what many people have said about a "dent" that they have that seems as if it was a result from an impression of leaning against something. This is more like a muscle being split on my left thigh. It's extremely uncomfortable at times, with numbness on the area and tingling sensation, which then causes minor itchiness. And, like you, I've never injured myself. I'm 19 and normal weight and moderately active. And I remember noticing it when I was around 10 years old. Well, I've attached some photos to show my case and, hopefully, if anyone knows the answer or an explanation please let me know. Much appreciation if you can take your time to see my case. Thanks. :)

Note: Photo 1 shows the thinness of the skin on the affected area.
Photo 2 shows what happens when I fold my legs backward. Notice my right thigh is different because, unlike the left thigh, it's not splitted.
Photo 3 shows how the leg looks like when I stand straight.

My 18yr old daughter has a dent on her right upper thigh that just appeared yesterday. She is thin, athletic (gymnast and cheerleader), vegetarian, and did hit both thighs on a desk at school a few months ago. She bruises relatively easily, so, she would have noticed if she hit it recently. It is a mystery and we are concerned enough to make a dr. appt. Want to reach out to anyone who can pinpoint anything from her profile...I've read so many theories. She did have a cortisone shot in her backside in May (not near the dent site) and is also taking oral contraceptives. Not sure what is relevant or connected to this odd dent. No pain at all. Any similarities in the background/profile? Thanks.

I'm wondering if any of you may know what would cause a dent/valley in a quad muscle (not natural muscle shape)? I have a 3-4 inch long (horizonal across the left quad) and about an inch wide dip that has recently shown up on my leg. I have never injured the leg, or severly strained the muscle. It has never shown any pain, nor have I lost any strength in it. You can see the dent while standing...and it can drastically be felt when running a hand down the leg. It is about 1/3rd of the way down the quad from the hip. I've done a lot of research on this online, found about 20 other people with the same problem...but those that have gone to the doctor about it have all heard that they have never seen it before as a response. I'm pretty fit, not at all over weight, so I don't think that is it at all...I'm really perplexed by this and wonder if anyone else has heard/see this before? It almost looks like the muscle has been cut in half for a visual. Again...I've NEVER injured this muscle in the past.

Any ideas? I'll post this under personal trainers as well..just in case they don't look here and might have come across it. :confused:
[/QUOTE]
I also have this same dent on both legs. It just recently started. I'm not athletic and am partially disabled. It's got me totally freaking out.

I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO MY LEG DENT!!!
I had one of these "dents" and I looked on all sorts of forums to find the answer. It was about 5 inches across on my right thigh, and almost an inch deep. It came out of nowhere one day! At first I thought it was because I had recently started working out my legs. But it made me nervous because it was such an abnormal shape. Nothing like normal definition. While I researched all these forums I noticed a woman had posted that it was related to holding her laptop on her legs in the same spot every night. So I started paying attention to my everyday activities to see if there'd be something I was doing repeatedly that causes indentation. Finally one day, it hit me! Everyday when I put on my makeup I leaned against my dresser which has a ledge on it. The dresser edge lined up exactly with the indent on my thigh. from then on I made a conscious effort not to lean against the dresser when putting on my makeup. It took a couple months of this then finally 1 day I noticed the dent was gone. As simply as it appeared it disappeared :)
Hopefully this helps :-D I was super scared of what it might be our having it be permanent. . But my leg is back to normal and no trace of the dent is left ;-)

I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO MY LEG DENT!!!
I had one of these "dents" and I looked on all sorts of forums to find the answer. It was about 5 inches across on my right thigh, and almost an inch deep. It came out of nowhere one day! At first I thought it was because I had recently started working out my legs. But it made me nervous because it was such an abnormal shape. Nothing like normal definition. While I researched all these forums I noticed a woman had posted that it was related to holding her laptop on her legs in the same spot every night. So I started paying attention to my everyday activities to see if there'd be something I was doing repeatedly that causes indentation. Finally one day, it hit me! Everyday when I put on my makeup I leaned against my dresser which has a ledge on it. The dresser edge lined up exactly with the indent on my thigh. from then on I made a conscious effort not to lean against the dresser when putting on my makeup. It took a couple months of this then finally 1 day I noticed the dent was gone. As simply as it appeared it disappeared :)*
Hopefully this helps :-D I was super scared of what it might be our having it be permanent. . But my leg is back to normal and no trace of the dent is left ;-)

Back