Leg Muscle "Dent"??

I'm wondering if any of you may know what would cause a dent/valley in a quad muscle (not natural muscle shape)? I have a 3-4 inch long (horizonal across the left quad) and about an inch wide dip that has recently shown up on my leg. I have never injured the leg, or severly strained the muscle. It has never shown any pain, nor have I lost any strength in it. You can see the dent while standing...and it can drastically be felt when running a hand down the leg. It is about 1/3rd of the way down the quad from the hip. I've done a lot of research on this online, found about 20 other people with the same problem...but those that have gone to the doctor about it have all heard that they have never seen it before as a response. I'm pretty fit, not at all over weight, so I don't think that is it at all...I'm really perplexed by this and wonder if anyone else has heard/see this before? It almost looks like the muscle has been cut in half for a visual. Again...I've NEVER injured this muscle in the past.

Any ideas? I'll post this under personal trainers as well..just in case they don't look here and might have come across it. :confused: [/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound too odd, but maybe you should post a photo so we can assess it better. From the sounds of it, that's just the way you're made up and you shouldn't worry about it. I can't tell without seeing it though.

I came across your post while searching for this problem on the web.
I have this exact same problem. I haven't seen a doctor about it yet since there is no pain. But it seems to be a little bigger now. And it's just ODD! Why would a dent all of the sudden occur in my leg like that?
Have you made any progress with an answer to this? I was about to schedule my doctor's appt, and wanted to see if there was anything I could learn about it first. Please let me know what you find out!

Has anyone found out the cause of their leg dent? I seem to have that problem in my thigh also. Am actually wondering if such a thing could be caused by improper training? A personal trainer I had a few sessions with had threatened that if I did not use proper form, I could cause misshapen muscles. Can you tell me also, if that is possible? I had been doing many lunges before I noticed the dent appear.

Thanks for any information

you should look at some body builders legs, If your legs are any stranger than some of theirs then go see a doc, but I think you'd have trouble having stranger legs than Hanley.

I talked to my dad about it awhile ago and he said he had the same thing once. He said it never bothered him and it went away (after something like 5 years). He said he looked for it one day and it just wasn't there any more.
I've stopped worrying about it since it doesn't seem to be affecting anything.

Update... my dent disappeared one day. I couldn't tell you how long it took but one day I was thinking about it, went to check, and it was gone.

So don't worry about it!

I'm wondering if any of you may know what would cause a dent/valley in a quad muscle (not natural muscle shape)? I have a 3-4 inch long (horizonal across the left quad) and about an inch wide dip that has recently shown up on my leg. I have never injured the leg, or severly strained the muscle. It has never shown any pain, nor have I lost any strength in it. You can see the dent while standing...and it can drastically be felt when running a hand down the leg. It is about 1/3rd of the way down the quad from the hip. I've done a lot of research on this online, found about 20 other people with the same problem...but those that have gone to the doctor about it have all heard that they have never seen it before as a response. I'm pretty fit, not at all over weight, so I don't think that is it at all...I'm really perplexed by this and wonder if anyone else has heard/see this before? It almost looks like the muscle has been cut in half for a visual. Again...I've NEVER injured this muscle in the past.

Any ideas? I'll post this under personal trainers as well..just in case they don't look here and might have come across it. :confused:
[/QUOTE]

dont worry they wouldnt have a clue trying to figure it out from there 7 week course :rofl:

Just were abouts is this prominent dip on your thigh?

I have a dent on my right quad. It's very visible as well and you can feel it too but I mine is from my horse's hoof when he ran me over :rolleyes:

Dent in quad

I figured out why I had a dent in my right quad! :D I was leaning against a counter every day for years, at work. One day, while doing leg presses I noticed a dent in my quad. I searched the web and found this message board. I also found one where someone mentioned leaning against a bathroom vanity to put on makeup. I checked the dent in my quad and sure enough it lined up perfectly with the edge of the counter at work. I stopped leaning against it about 3 months ago and the dent is gone! The muscle weakness I had in my right leg is also gone and I am running more evenly. When I had the dent, my right leg was noticably weaker and I was running with a slight limp. It's hard to believe, but leaning against your quad muscle can damage it. Wonder if this is what happened to others that posted messages about dents in their quads???

Dent in Leg

I have the exact same dent in my upper right quad muscle. It is horizontal and is about 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch high. The muscle on top of the dent feels like its been pushed up a little, and when you run your hand down it you can feel it. I also have been working out for years, have never had a muscle injury that I know of and have never had anything like this before either. It literally appeared out of nowhere. The leaning up against something theory doesn't work for me. I've been everywhere in this house and can't find anything that would have caused it. For all of us to have the exact same thing there must be something in common. I don't know about anyone else but during the time that this dent appeared I was taking Hydroxycut Hardcore which contains Yohimbe and look at what I found online about Yohimbe..."Yohimbine HCL is a godsend for men who can't get rid of their love handles and women who have difficulty losing body fat in those stubborn glute and thigh areas. Yohimbine HCL effectively blocks the alpha-receptors, which are predominantly located in the fat cells of the upper thighs, lower glutes and obliques." Now I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with losing fat cells or something. Was anyone else taking fat burners or maybe something with Yohimbe in it around the time their dent appeared? I really want to figure this thing out, it's driving me crazy.

same problem

i'm so glad i found this site. i recently, within the past month, developed a horizontal dent in BOTH thighs approx halfway between my knee and hip with it being about 3-4inches long. i'm completely dumbfounded because i was a competitive cheerleader my entire life and i just graduated in may from college and i never had any leg injuries or anything relating to it. i've never taken any supplements or weight loss pills. i joined a gym after graduation to stay in shape and out of nowhere i had two dents on my thighs. my boyfriend and his brother are both trainers at another gym and they have no idea what it could be and they have never seen it before. if anyone can help solve this mystery that would be a big help. thanks.

I've got them too - depressions across both thighs at the same height (about 1/2 ways between knee and groin), this is about the same location as where a pair of cycle pants would end (don't actually wear them). They formed about 6 weeks ago (I think, don't really make a habit of inspecting my thighs - definitely noticed them about this time). Routine - workout every week day morning before work, about an hour, alternating cardio and weight training, moved to low impact cardio (treadmill over 1/2 hour 40 mins up to incline 8 and down again) about 4 months ago as achilles started playing up), do yoga 2-3 times weekly. Only other factors I can think of is move to duplex in May with 4 flights of stairs (great for quads) and internal stairscase + skiiing for first time this year (shortly before these formed) - am going to see osteopath this week to see if he has any ideas... Will let you know if he has any theories or suggestions.

Indents in thighs

I also have an horizontal indent in my right leg but experiencing no pain. I noticed it in January 2009 and it has progressively deepened. All very disconcerting because trainers know nothing about anatomy and I do not want to see a doctor because I imagine they can't tell me why this strange occurrence is happening. I personally feel it has something to do with fluid retention. Any thoughts?

We all have one thing in common and that is being active and using weights.

Everyone I have shown is stumped by my problem.

pictures would be nice.
Is there any pain?

If the dent is getting bigger and bigger I'd see the doc.. But for all I know you're just getting more defined and the dent is just a natural separation between two muscles..

dent in leg

i too have a dent in my upper quad muscle that i have been concerned about. it has been there for several years (can't remember for sure when i first noticed it). i have excercised (step aerobics) since i was 23 and i am now 53. recently i have started doing more on an elliptical and the dent has gotten more pronounced (which must be from the build up of that muscle). i had an MRI done and they said there was nothing there but "minimal scarring". my doctor wants to do a biopsy of the area because he has no clue what it is and after reading these posts, i'm not sure i need to do that. has anyone ever figured out what the dent in the leg is? it doesn't hurt in any way. i just don't want to overlook a possible problem...t

Dent in both thighs at same place

Well, I didn't expect to find so many people with the same thing.

Last year I was sick with stomach problems, was very sedentary and lost weight, about 20 pounds. Now that I've gained it back, I'm have much less muscle. I'm assuming that this is my new fat deposit due to atrophy, but it's such an obvious "DENT". The left side is worse than the right. I've had hip pain in the left side and have been seeing a chiropractor. It's helping and I'm working on getting my leg strength back through lunges.

I was doing some balance excercise that involved lifting my leg out in front. That definitely works the upper thigh area. Still doesn't make sense since my thighs used to have much more muscle over-all.

I have been taking HCL to help with stomach problems. Someone mentioned some training supplement that contained HCL as well might cause fat deposits.

Leg Muscle Dent

Oh my gosh! Finally, I've found someone to describe the EXACT problem I have. I've been searching online where it describes a dent on the thigh, seeming like "a split between the muscle", but could never find it. The dent doesn't hurt, but it gets really uncomfortable at times, not to mention it's very noticeable. I also feel a little pain, like tightening of the skin when I pull my leg backward, and there is a SUPER noticeable dent that appears. If I pour water into that dent, it would hold. That's how deep the dent is. The skin at the affected area is also very thin, and I can realy stretch it, fold it. I'm not an athelete or anything and have never injured my leg. I'm just a normal girl who weighs 110 lb. And I'm just moderately active. I remember first noticing the dent when I was around 10 because the pants fitted differently on my left thigh than my right one. I also noticed it's gotten a bit bigger and more noticeable. It REALLY aggrevates me. If anyone knows what this is or how to fix it, PLEASE tell me. I feel that if I go to see a doctor, it'd be useless.

PS: Thanks for taking time to read!

theres a lot of replies there with people having the same problem. a lot are saying its atrophy fat, nothing to worry about (unless there is pain).

Back