Leg Muscle "Dent"??

I'm wondering if any of you may know what would cause a dent/valley in a quad muscle (not natural muscle shape)? I have a 3-4 inch long (horizonal across the left quad) and about an inch wide dip that has recently shown up on my leg. I have never injured the leg, or severly strained the muscle. It has never shown any pain, nor have I lost any strength in it. You can see the dent while standing...and it can drastically be felt when running a hand down the leg. It is about 1/3rd of the way down the quad from the hip. I've done a lot of research on this online, found about 20 other people with the same problem...but those that have gone to the doctor about it have all heard that they have never seen it before as a response. I'm pretty fit, not at all over weight, so I don't think that is it at all...I'm really perplexed by this and wonder if anyone else has heard/see this before? It almost looks like the muscle has been cut in half for a visual. Again...I've NEVER injured this muscle in the past.

Any ideas? I'll post this under personal trainers as well..just in case they don't look here and might have come across it. :confused:
[/QUOTE]
I found the site while looking for an answer to the reason of sudden, slightly painful ( seems like muscle pain, or a tendon pulling) concave stretching on the outer side of my left leg. I am alert to such things douse I was recently (April 1 2014) diagnosed (during a routine check -up, w/o any complaints) with left atrial thrombosis (1.5 cm in diameter, quite dangerous). Warned by the cardiology/hematology professors to go to an emergency US screening anytime I feeş anything wrong. Now I am at the sea, quite far from a hospital, trying to decide what to do.

I THINK I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER! I have the same problem as everyone else and I have visited this site numerous times to see if the anyone had found the answer to this dent mystery. I believe I have found the answer! I think the dent has to to with pulling or tearing your sartorius muscle. The sartorius runs from the outside of the hip to the inside of the knee, right above the shin. I have a dent 3/4 the way down my quad and another on my hip; Whenever I am sitting and attempt to raise my foot off of the ground, in between the indents and the sartorius muscle can be seen clearly going from the outer hip to the knee.

Dent on left leg

I have a dent on my left thigh with no pain or any other ill effects. I'm 31, male, and in good shape. I've been looking everywhere I go for the last week to see if anything touches my thigh there but I've had no luck so far. I'm pretty sure that can't be my problem, but it does seem to be the solution to alot of these "dents" so I was really hopeful. I've also never pulled my thigh muscle. The Lipoatrophia Semicircularis theory seems wacky but I'm looking at it again because I'm on my PC almost all day and my computer tower is really big, plus it's on my left side. I was wondering if those people who posted about the dents only on one leg have their computer tower on the same side? That information would go a long way to support or refute that theory. thanks :)

:(

This is a pretty convincing study. I'm still not sold on it 100% but it does worry me that my head is in the same EM field that could be causing such a dramatic change in my body. :(

Hi I have just recently discovered that I have dents in both of my thighs, I put on some light coloured skinny jeans and it looked as though I had long johns on ! I couldn't believe it as it has only just happened, I am 55 and a professional Dressage rider, I ride several horses a day and am very fit, I am not sure what to do about it, I have no pain, but am worried about the future outcome, plus if looks awful is there anyway to fix it and what caused it.
Thanks
Judy

I'm so glad I found this thread.
I too have developed a dent on my right thigh and I was getting quite worried about it.
It has got noticeably worse lately as I have been cycling a lot and my leg muscles are building up and the dent is more obvious.
I was getting worried enough to consider seeing a doctor for it but wasn't thinking they would be able to help.
Just didn't know what else to do.

I saw here that several people found they had developed the dents from leaning on something but there isn't anything I have been leaning on.
I am looking down at my leg right now as I'm sitting at my desk and thinking "what can be causing it?" and suddenly I see the big lumpy wallet I always keep in my right hand trouser pocket the bottom edge of which is digging in at exactly the spot in my leg when I'm sitting.

Yes I wear the same jeans to cycle. I wear the same jeans all the time. (NOT the same pair - just the same make and size -it's hard to find good jeans so when I do I buy loads of pairs)
The jeans have got tighter in the leg as my cycling thigh muscles have built up.

I've dumped some stuff out of it and shifted it to my back pocket to see if that helps. Guess it might take some months to make a difference though.

"Hi I have just recently discovered that I have dents in both of my thighs, I put on some light coloured skinny jeans and it looked as though I had long johns on ! I couldn't believe it as it has only just happened, I am 55 and a professional Dressage rider, I ride several horses a day and am very fit, I am not sure what to do about it, I have no pain, but am worried about the future outcome, plus if looks awful is there anyway to fix it and what caused it.
Thanks
Judy"

Is there any garment or fold in your jodhpurs that can be digging in at exactly that spot when you ride because I have just realised that it may well be my wallet in my jeans pocket causing this on my right thigh.
Have a look next time you ride to see where the fabric is digging in.

"I have a dent on my left thigh with no pain or any other ill effects. I'm 31, male, and in good shape. I've been looking everywhere I go for the last week to see if anything touches my thigh there but I've had no luck so far. I'm pretty sure that can't be my problem, but it does seem to be the solution to alot of these "dents" so I was really hopeful. I've also never pulled my thigh muscle. The Lipoatrophia Semicircularis theory seems wacky but I'm looking at it again because I'm on my PC almost all day and my computer tower is really big, plus it's on my left side. I was wondering if those people who posted about the dents only on one leg have their computer tower on the same side? That information would go a long way to support or refute that theory. thanks "

Where do you keep your wallet?

My mother has had a dent in her thigh muscles since she was born, and we finally decided to see if we could figure out what is was by searching online. She's been to a few doctors, but since the dent wasn't painful, it's never been considered a problem. It's interesting that so many people have the same type of dent! However, are there any other people that have had the dent their entire lives? Here are some pictures, as well:

I wonder if that is from a baby vaccine? I thought about that when I noticed mine but my mum said no and I only noticed it a year or so ago and a baby vaccine would be far more obvious when you were young not suddenly appear when you are are 50! (As I am)

I have the same
Problem i pulled my thigh muscle before a game left it 2 months when back to play and every time I change speed my leg gave in, and hasn’t been the same since now I have dip in my thigh but I don’t struggle to walk or anything, just when I sprint anyone know what this is ?

Reading all these comments seems like a few have the mark from leaning but a few dont. Im only 25 and ive had this dent on my right leg for as long as i can remember its the same size as most and just as deep but its on the right side of my right leg below my hip on my thigh. its never hurt its never buged me its never gone away or changed. The only similarity i can see is that we are all active i regularly rollerblade and bike. My bike recently got stolen in college and i dont rollerblade so much because i have moved to an area withalot of hills. So i can be considered lazy which means it should of dissapeared and it has not. I once had a bee sting bellow my knee on that leg and it swole almost from me knee to my foot. And recently like a few days ago i got a misquote bite in the same spot and it did the same thing its swollen and hard and mist of my leg. Now ive had misquote bites often even on that leg but never in that spot. And its never got as big as this. My point is the only thing i can think of is its something to do with the blood cells etc and muscles that are in that leg, but i dont know what the heck may be causeing it. Its not some disease or id be really ill by now and its not from leaning on something or the work outs i do or it would be gone by now. Im really hoping someone can figure it out im sure it has to do with body weight and metabolism but thats all i got.

I have a few guesses as to what it is.
1. If you are working out, it could be due to muscles breaking down in the leg, you leaned it on it and then the fat just drops; leaving a dent.
2. If you are working out, there maybe more fat loss in a certain part of your leg or at least seem that way. Your genetics are the reason why you don't have an even fat distribution. So if you lose fat, the areas with less fat cells will shrink and cause a dent to appear.
3. Whether or not you work out, muscle shrinkage could be the reason why the dent exists. If you work out in a way where certain muscles in your leg are getting hit on, then i guess it will shrink. If you don't workout, your muscles will shrink. If you're working out your legs on the machines, might be time to get off them and start doing compound or isolation movements with weights instead of weight machines. Hit more muscles in the legs.
4. Whether it's due to leaning against something or physically being hit there, it may be permanent.
An option for getting rid of it is to literally gain weight and by weight i mean fat, allow the fat cells to grow a little and it might even out.

Subcutaneous fat is the fat under your skin, everyone has it. The dent could reveal it itself if it's an area with little fat there, if this is the case, it's genetic and only surgery can fix it. Maybe fat graft or some sort of filler.

OMG I've noticed the same on my legs weeks ago. Like I leaned up against a table and the dents never went away. I don't put anything on or against my legs normally but do sit cross-legged often. I don't know it's weird. Here's some pictures of my leg dents... as you can see, the left is significantly more prominent than right but I can see (and feel) them both. Also they are almost perfectly symmetrical. Legs1.jpgLegs 2.jpgLegs 3.jpg

Obviously i'm not super muscular, :/ I hate my legs but I do like to keep active, hike, run, dance and stretch often.

Last edited:
I just also noticed yesterday that I had a "dent" on my left leg. In the evening, it seemed to have disappeared. I was going to dismiss it as something that was caused by a positioning of my legs during sleep. But this morning I see it again. I don't feel any pain.

Back