How does drinking more water help us to burn body fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamtobethin

I was reading this article and thought of sharing; sure this is no new information but once in a while it helps to read what you already know

Drink Away the Weight
By Raphael Calzadilla, BA, CPT, ACE
eDiets Chief Fitness Pro

Everyone always says it’s good to drink a lot of water to help to lose fat. I hear people say it to each other every day like schizophrenic parrots.

“You should drink more water!” “You don’t drink enough water!” “You should drink more water, because it will help with your fat loss…” – blah, blah, blah.

Ever have someone explain to you how water helps you to lose fat? I bet no one can explain it to you. Most people tell you to drink more water to lose fat, but few know the reason why.

So, how does drinking more water help us to burn body fat?

Stay with me on this and read carefully. This will make you a star during the next water conversation you have.

From the standpoint of fat loss, you want to be in a position metabolically where the liver is converting stored fat to energy. The liver has other functions, but this is one of its main jobs.

Unfortunately, another of the liver’s responsibilities is to pick up the slack for the kidneys, which need a lot of water to work properly. Actually, your kidneys need a lot more water than most people realize.

If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has a double duty assignment. It has to do the work of the kidneys along with its own work. This double time assignment only serves to lower the actual productivity of the liver. It then can’t metabolize fat as quickly as it could when the kidneys do their job with efficiency.

If you allow this to happen, not only are you being unfair to your liver, but you’re also setting yourself up to store fat because you've made the liver less efficient at turning stored body fat into energy.

So, you’ve learned how vital the roles of the liver and kidneys are, but now the question becomes how much water?

When examining the research, there is a paper in the Journal of the American Dietetics Association (Volume 99, number 2, pages 200-206, 1999) that discusses water requirements:

“To be well hydrated, the average sedentary adult man must consume at least 2,900mL (12 cups) fluid per day, and the average sedentary adult woman at least 2,200mL (9 cups) fluid per day, in the form of non-caffeinated, nonalcoholic beverages, soups, and foods. Solid foods contribute approximately 1,000mL (4 cups) water, with an additional 250mL (1 cup) coming from the water of oxidation.”

The paper also states that "Dehydration of as little as 2-percent loss of body weight results in impaired physiological and performance responses."

To summarize, it appears that sedentary individuals require approximately 9-12 cups of water per day (4 cups come from food, 1 cup from metabolism and 4-7 cups from fluid intake). The lower numbers are for females and higher numbers for males. Personally, I like the higher numbers for both males and females alike.

Unfortunately there is very little research concerning how much fluid is actually needed for those who workout intensely. So, add more if you workout, but do so within reason. Now, with glasses held high, let’s toast to your new healthy body.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for posting this. I never knew the reasons behind it either.

I know of all the good press on the benefits of a health intake of water, but I am not sure if that article holds any scientific basis.

From what I know, there is no way for toxin to directly enter the urinal duct other than through the kidneys.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Toxins are cleared from the liver into the bile ducts and thus out through the intestines.

Interesting article, thanks for posting it, dream :)

God Bless,
mik

Is this why people lose alot of fat if they go on like a 5 day water fast. I know people do it to release toxins but i wondered why so much fat was lost.

Drink water on empty stomach

It is popular in Japan today to drink water immediately after waking up every morning. Furthermore, scientific tests have proven its value. We publish below a description of use of water for our readers. For old and serious diseases as well as modern illnesses the water treatment had been found successful by a Japanese medical society as a 100% cure for the following diseases:
Headache, body ache, heart system, arthritis, fast heart beat, epilepsy, excess fatness, bronchitis asthma, TB, meningitis, kidney and urine diseases, vomiting, gastritis, diarrhea, piles, diabetes, constipation, all eye diseases, womb, cancer and menstrual disorders, ear nose and throat diseases.

METHOD OF TREATMENT
1. As you wake up in the morning before brushing teeth, drink 4 x 160ml glasses of water
2. Brush and clean the mouth but do not eat or drink anything for 45 minute
3. After 45 minutes you may eat and drink as normal.
4. After 15 minutes of breakfast, lunch and dinner do not eat or drink anything for 2 hours
5. Those who are old or sick and are unable to drink 4 glasses of water at the beginning may commence by taking little water and gradually increase it to 4 glasses per day.
6. The above method of treatment will cure diseases of the sick and others can enjoy a healthy life.

The following list gives the number of days of treatment required to cure/control/reduce main diseases:

1. High Blood Pressure (30 days)

2. Gastric (10 days)

3. Diabetes (30 days)

4. Constipation (10 days)

5. Cancer (180 days)

6. TB (90 days)

7. Arthritis patients should follow the above treatment only for 3 days in the 1st week, and from 2nd week onwards – daily.

This treatment method has no side effects, however at the commencement of treatment you may have to urinate a few times.

It is better if we continue this and make this procedure as a routine work in our life. Drink Water and Stay healthy and Active.

This makes sense .. The Chinese and Japanese drink hot tea with their meals ..not cold water. Maybe it is time we adopt their drinking habit while eating!!! Nothing to lose, everything to gain…

For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you.
It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion.

Once this “sludge” reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine.
Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks:

·Women should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting,

·Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line.

·You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack.

·Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms.

·60% of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up.

·Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let’s be careful and be aware. The more we know, the better chance we could survive…

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this mail sends it to everyone they know, you can be sure that we’ll save at least one life.

Please be a true friend and send this article to all your friends you care about

No the kidneys do not need "a lot of water to work properly"! It's called OSMOREGULATION. Thank god the bodies are smarter than the people.

"If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has a double duty assignment."

What does that even mean? The kidneys do not detoxify drugs. Likewise, the liver isn't responsible for secretion and reabsorption. There is no "sharing of duties" where these functions are concerned.

Obviously, the kidneys need water to "work properly"... just like every other tissue system in the entire body. The nephrons of the kidneys work by osmolarity, which is different at each segment of tubule, so it preserves or secretes its own water based on how much water/salt is already present. A drop in water concentration causes an increase in reabsorption if a person gets dehydrated, which does NOT, by the way, occur from forgetting to gulp down big quantities of water every hour.

You think the liver takes care of this?

Nice post, Dreamtobethin! I love how you quote actual research, with a reference we can actually check! (As an academic researcher, these things make me happy :p)

Amiwry, you have somewhat of a point: kidneys are not the only part of our bodies to need water. Don't all our cells need hydration? I do think, although it may have been oversimplified here, this research is interesting! Keeping in mind our bodies are extremely complex, and theories about it are being created, modified or left behind daily!

And sort of in keeping with Marggie's post: As cliché as this might sound, I think we might sometimes confuse thirst for hunger. I know that for me, if I feel as though I might be a bit hungry (like for a snack, not starving for a meal), I have water or tea first... and sometimes that does the trick until I am really ready to eat!

Only helps to burn calories if you drink a huge amount of it, and even then the effect comes to a few dozen calories. Running for a few minutes will have the same effect. Putting down that muffin will have the same effect x 30
It is one of the many weight loss myths still floating around.

Only helps to burn calories if you drink a huge amount of it, and even then the effect comes to a few dozen calories. Running for a few minutes will have the same effect. Putting down that muffin will have the same effect x 30
It is one of the many weight loss myths still floating around.

Myth or no myth drinking plenty of water provides nothing but benefits to your body with the only exception of having to use the restroom more....

I would find it pretty tough for someone to turn drinking plenty of water into a negative.

Myth or no myth drinking plenty of water provides nothing but benefits to your body with the only exception of having to use the restroom more....

I would find it pretty tough for someone to turn drinking plenty of water into a negative.

Didn't see a negative post from Tamango. Water is absolutely critical. He was just clarifying that drinking water doesn't magically burn as many calories as a full workout. Instead, focus on limiting crappy food will get you a lot closer to weight loss goals.

Didn't see a negative post from Tamango. Water is absolutely critical. He was just clarifying that drinking water doesn't magically burn as many calories as a full workout. Instead, focus on limiting crappy food will get you a lot closer to weight loss goals.

drinking lots of water really works

Of course drinking water is never a bad thing
But losing a few pounds of water weight due to increased intake is not the same thing as burning body fat

Water may not directly help to burn fat, but indirectly. Drinking enough water will ensure that you don't mistake thirst for hunger. And when you eat less because of the water, you will lose fat. Some studies has also shown that ice cold water can boost the metabolism - helping you to burn calories and fat faster.

Why Drinking Water Is Important for Weight Loss said:
Diet and Weight Loss Tutorial
There are many reasons why it is important to drink water, especially if you are dieting:

-Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.

-The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.

-Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.

-Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.

-Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.

-A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.

-Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.

How Much Water Should I Drink?

You have probably heard that you should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. How much water you actually need depends on your weight, level of activity, the temperature and humidity of your environment, and your diet. Your diet makes a difference because if you eat plenty of water-dense foods like fruits and vegetables your need to drink water will be diminished.

You can do some research and use a calculator and measuring cup if you like, but nature's pretty good at letting you know the right amount to drink. When you drink enough water, your urine will usually be pale yellow, though vitamin supplements and antibiotics can discolor it. On the other hand, you shouldn't need to run to the bathroom too frequently. When in doubt, drink a little more.

Do not worry that drinking water will give your body a bloated look. There are a number of causes of water retention, including consuming too much salt. But drinking water is not one of them.

It is possible to harm yourself by drinking too much water, but it takes quite an effort. Either through obsessive-compulsive behavior or extended athletic activity, drinking large amounts of water can dilute the electrolytes (sodium and potassium) in your blood to the point that it interferes with brain, heart and muscle function. Athletes compound the problem with the loss of sodium (salt) through sweating, but can drink electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatorade Endurance Formula to help keep things in balance.

Tips on Drinking Water

-Drinking other liquids also provides your body with a source of water, but note that diuretics cause your body to expel water. Diuretics include caffeinated drinks (coffee, tea and soda) and alcohol. When drinking diuretics, drink more water to compensate.

When drinking alcohol, drinking water along with it as well as before and afterward may eliminate a hangover headache and feeling of tiredness. The water is optional; driving is not.

-When you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Try to avoid this situation by drinking in advance. Be especially careful when participating in activities where you won't be able to stop to get caught up.

-You've heard countless advertisements telling you what product to start your day with. We recommend a couple of glasses of water to rehydrate your body. No charge.

How does drinking more water help us to burn body fat?

You don't need to read a long article to find the answer to this question. Allow me to explain, in layman's terms...

Drinking water helps you burn body fat because it makes you pee more. See, the more you have to pee, the more you get your ass off the sofa and sprint your way to the bathroom. The more you sprint to the bathroom, the more exercise you get. The more exercise you get, the more calories you burn. And, the more calories you burn...the more fat you lose. This is how drinking water helps you burn fat.

Where's my PhD?

You don't need to read a long article to find the answer to this question. Allow me to explain, in layman's terms...

Drinking water helps you burn body fat because it makes you pee more. See, the more you have to pee, the more you get your ass off the sofa and sprint your way to the bathroom. The more you sprint to the bathroom, the more exercise you get. The more exercise you get, the more calories you burn. And, the more calories you burn...the more fat you lose. This is how drinking water helps you burn fat.

Where's my PhD?

Quoted for truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back