Hit me with your best shot-- fire away

Vital (or non vital) stats
Female
42 years old (very old I know)
5'9 (is there a way to get taller?)
current weight 262 highest recorded weight 383 in may of 2006
measurements 49-40-49

Heart stuff
(I have no freakin' clue what this means but it's yet one more number)
resting heart rate: 60
heart rate after 15 minutes on treadmill (105 - with the kinks playing loudly in my ear)
heart rate after 30 minutes on tread mill - 126 with black sabbath blasting

Other stuff
I have a bit of a fragile left knee (arthroscopic surgery twice, and if i have to have it done again i'm looking at knee replacement surgery - from too many years spent skiing around people who were on slopes they didn't belong on

My left shoulder is also questionable - if i could get the doctors to agree with what's wrong with it - i might have it taken care of - but the problem is anything from rotater cuff issues (from pitching in high school/college and in a softball league in my 20s) to nerve damage from too many years of running thru airports with two laptops and a briefcase thrown over m y left shoulder

lower back pain from lousy posture

I'm a software engineer so my butt is usually parked in front of a computer for 10+ hours a day.

I joined a gym but the staff is less than helpful whenit comes to equipment demonstration - i have an appointment with a personal trainer tomorrow morning, to basically educate me but i don't have a lot of faith in that based on the initial phone call - when she couldn't quite grasp the concept of my name.

it's not motivation i need - nor do i need to be pushed -i can do that myself - it's really education and making sure i'm doing what i need to do - -correctly...

I was fairly athletic in high school and college, I was a swimmer (800m butterfly and 400m im weremy two best events) and also was a pitcher for softball and played field hockey - in all those years - i never managed to be able to to a push up or a pull up - and crunches i've never quite mastered either.

So... what am i doing wrong and what do i need to do to fix it.... (my sucky attitude will require some work)

Last edited:
Menus last two days
Breakfast
1 serving Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal, Cinnamon
1 grande starbucks coffee w/ sugar free cinnamon syrup and 2 tbs half and half

Lunch
big honking salad w/ fresh spinach, grape tomatoes, grapes, broccoli, radishes, 1/2 hard boiled egg, 1 ounce muesnter cheese, beets, and a few other random vegetables
w/ balsamic vinegar and 1 tbs lite ranch dressng

Dinner
3 oz goat cheese on 6 Wasa rye crackers and 1large sliced tomato

Snacks
1 serving kashi crunchy granola bar
1 organic rice cake
1 serving dannon light and fit yogurt

exercise
45 minutes, treadmill 3.6 mph 5 incline

Numbers
Calories (1250 - 1600) 1,596
Fat (28 - 62) 54
Carbohydrates (141 - 260) 237
Protein (31 - 140) 79
Potassium (4500 - 6000) 2,964
Calcium (120 - 200) 79
Sodium (0 - 2300) 2,223
Fiber (25 - 35) 44

25 January 2007
Breakfast
1 serving quaker weight control oatmeal, cinnamon
1 grande starbucks coffee w/ sugar free cinnamon syrup and 2 tbs half and half

Lunch
2 tuna sushi rolls
1 serving seaweed salad

Dinner
5 ounces broiled wild salmon w/ lemon and dill
2 cups broccoli, roasted w/ 1 tsp olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tbs fresh grated parmesan cheese

Snacks
1 serving kashi granola bars, toasted almond
1 dannon ight and fit yogurt

Exercise
40 minutes treadmill, 3.5 mph, 3 incline

The Numbers
Calories (1250 - 1600) 1,605
Fat (28 - 62) 54
Carbohydrates (141 - 260) 184
Protein (31 - 140) 130
Potassium (4500 - 6000) 2,905
Calcium (120 - 200) 87
Sodium (0 - 2300) 1,967
Fiber (25 - 35) 29

Dinners are generally fish at least 3 times a week, chicken 2x a week and take out sushi onces and something non meat based the last day..

corndogggy, if you have a problem then can you please take it to PM or suggestions or somewhere *other* than every other thread thats not relevant and not interested.

corndogggy, if you have a problem then can you please take it to PM or suggestions or somewhere *other* than every other thread thats not relevant and not interested.

Well, is this not the "ugly, harsh truth" section? I'm simply reassuring her that she needs an attitude adjustment, and pointing out a good example of her bad attitude. Seems like the proper place to me. She asked for it. I would go to PM's but I kinda wanted to make sure everybody else could see how big of a hypocrite she was being. Ever since I got here some of you folks act like I'm being SOOOOOOOOO insulting, yet when one of you does even worse, actually much worse in my opinion, it's totally and utterly ignored. That's not right. That's why I'm publicly pointing it out on purpose. There's no reason for a mod to say something personally insulting enough to make somebody cuss like that and it be completely ignored, with no follow up, no apology, or nothing, even after it was obviously pointed out that there's a problem. Like I said... BAD ATTITUDE. Not sure how somebody is going to be successful in this endeavor and be at peace with themselves when they're dishing out BS like that. Yet, ol' Corndogggy is the insulting bad guy, right? Jeez.

Last edited:
Well your caloric intake is a TAD low, I would up it a little more especially if engaging in exercise.

You food selections are okay, not bad, not amazing either but certainly better then most I see.

What exactly is your question? What are you trying to achieve? And what is your plan for exercises in the sense of resistance training and cardio?

You food selections are okay, not bad, not amazing either but certainly better then most I see.
thanks - i think - how coud that be improved?

What are you trying to achieve?
fat loss and firming up what i do have...

And what is your plan for exercises in the sense of resistance training and cardio?
I spent a little time with a personal trainer at the gym on saturday and she showed me how to use a few of the weight machines - i'll be officially working with her next weekend - but are free weights better than the actual machines? the machines she showed me were 4 for upper body - for lower body she said steps would do the trick (which is fine by me because i usually take the stairs anyhow)

I also spend anywhere from 30 - 45 minutes walking on the treadmill or stationary bike (though usually less on the stationary bike because my butt and back can't take that long sitting...

Back