Gastric Balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lana - in a word, I'm not - I had to have the balloon removed last Monday. The vomiting was increasing in frequency and duration and I was struggling to keep any food down or even fluids. My doctor felt the only option was to take the balloon out which has been an enormous relief - I hadn't realized how sick I had felt for weeks until it was removed. I have continued to eat smaller portions and am now easily doing the 5:2 diet - I have maintained my overall weight loss which was 11k in just over 6 weeks - about 27lbs I think that is. Despite having only been on fluids for a full week, when the balloon was removed I still had undigested solid food in my stomach so the balloon combined with the PPIs appeared to have almost ground my digestion of food to a standstill. I also had a number of tiny tears on my oesophagus as a consequence of the severe vomiting. So, it was not a good option for me in terms of how my body reacted - the nurse in the recovery ward after the procedure told me they actually have a number of people who have to have it out because of adverse reactions. I am trying to be philosophical about it - I still lost a lot of weight and am very motivated to keep that going (school reunion later this year) and am now able to exercise properly again - something I was unable to do when I had the balloon. They have also refunded me half the costs so I think that's very reasonable. I hope things go better for you.

I'm really sorry to hear that you have been so unwell, glad that you have found something else that is working for you!! Motivation is the key best of luck, I'm sure you will nail it and look amazing for your reunion. :)

Guys,

Just an idea (that I am doing right now): once you get your balloon, try keto diet. You will not feel hunger at all, and your weight loss will be easier.

Hi, I've just got my Spatz 3 fitted about 4 days ago.. been discharged from the hospital the very next day my balloon got into me. Been told to stick to liquid diet for the whole week till next doctor visitation. Been nausea and experiencing gastric like pain.. Am wondering if i'm getting pain due to the balloon or just hunger. I've been sticking to water only till I thought to experiment a bit with Glucerna. Keeping my fingers crossed i can keep that in. :ambivalence:

I've been using a heated pad for my stomach. Difficult in hot weather but it helps. Does anyone have hints on other pain reducing things they have tried while waiting for medication to work. I feel ok right now but am dreading the next onslaught.

Also, was anyone else desperately hungry in the first few days. Part of me feels like the pain would be a lot less if I didn't have starvaton pangs. :(
I just had the Orbera balloon placed today. I slept on the drive home, and felt fine. My doctor said ice chips or sugar free Popsicles are all I can have. But I feel hungry, and nauseated at the same time. My stomach feels bloated and cranky. I also have a major head ache. I "threw up" all the sugar free Popsicle, so that didn't go well. My throat was sore after the procedure. Guess it was a little rough placing it? I just want to go to sleep, but I feel terrible. I don't know if the nausea medicines are working. Maybe they are and it could be a lot worse.

Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I've posted anything. Six months to be exact! I had my balloon inserted on my birthday 14/11/2015. I want to tell you my experience basically it was a complete waste of my time and money. Now I wish I just went for a sleeve surgery (which I am seriously considering now!) My first week it seemed to be working fine. But then I just went back to normal no constrictions at all. I ate normally and could over eat with no consequences at all. I haven't tried the sleeve surgery yet so I can't recommend it yet. But I know to close relatives who have gone and done the surgery and have lost a lot of weight so far. I only lost seven kgs using the gastric balloon which is not much at all. My goal was to lose 35 kgs. My weight is 83 kgs. My height is 162 or 163 cm (not sure). Fingers crossed the surgery works and I love the weight I need to to be healthy.
Please do not waste your time and money. The balloon works for some but most people don't seem to benefit from it unfortunately!
It was a learning experience and just made me know for sure that surgery is what I need. I have been on this back and forth roller coaster for 3 and half years I need to move on to something new. The surgery is my last hope so I hope it works for me!

Hello guys,

I've just went for an adjustment yesterday as my weight loss has went plataeu. So far i've only lost approx 10 kgs. I've now going back to liquid diet for the next 3 days. Hopefully it won't be as bad as how it was inserted. Hope to be able to go back to exercise within this week :) *Fingers crossed*

Hi Magpie. Let us know how you get on. I had the sparz balloon fitting in march. My nausea and vomiting lasted about 3 days and i would say inwas back to eating fairly soon after. A month on I lost 6kg and havent lost anymore since then. All the balloon does is make me feel bloated when i eat but not full. Ingact most of the time i dont even know its there. Sometimes i get alot of heartburn so i have to eat something. I also cant tolerate alot of rhe low gi foods that are recommended suxh as chixkpeas and lentils anymore they really bloat me and cause havoc with my bowels which are messed up now anyway since having the balloon. Wonderig whether to take the time out and go for a fill

I just had the Orbera balloon placed today. I slept on the drive home, and felt fine. My doctor said ice chips or sugar free Popsicles are all I can have. But I feel hungry, and nauseated at the same time. My stomach feels bloated and cranky. I also have a major head ache. I "threw up" all the sugar free Popsicle, so that didn't go well. My throat was sore after the procedure. Guess it was a little rough placing it? I just want to go to sleep, but I feel terrible. I don't know if the nausea medicines are working. Maybe they are and it could be a lot worse.

Hi! I am new to this form... as of today. I had my balloon placed on May 25th. I'm wondering how you're doing. I lost 16 pounds the 1st two weeks, but the past 3-4 I've been fluctuating between 16-20 and I'm very frustrated. So far you're the first one who I've found that had the balloon within a month of mine.

Guys,

Just an idea (that I am doing right now): once you get your balloon, try keto diet. You will not feel hunger at all, and your weight loss will be easier.
I'm really sorry to hear that you have been so unwell, glad that you have found something else that is working for you!! Motivation is the key best of luck, I'm sure you will nail it and look amazing for your reunion. :)

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and excited to share something in common with all of you. I got my balloon inserted a week ago. Now my question is has anybody experienced increased appetite before their menstrual cycle even with the balloon. I feel like a bottomless pit. Does the balloon stop working before your period and then goes back to doing its job. Sorry for the long best I am just so confused and frustrated.

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and excited to share something in common with all of you. I got my balloon inserted a week ago. Now my question is has anybody experienced increased appetite before their menstrual cycle even with the balloon. I feel like a bottomless pit. Does the balloon stop working before your period and then goes back to doing its job. Sorry for the long best I am just so confused and frustrated

I had my Spatz3 inserted on September 30th as part of a medical trial. The first week was horrible! I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Then things smoothed out. I was able to keep things down. Eat a relatively normal diet just in a much smaller quantity. As of Dec 12th I have lost 33lbs. and I still have 5 1/2 months to go with an adjustment scheduled to make it bigger in February as part of the study. A week ago things went south very quickly. I have had severe nausea, cramping and acid reflux, almost as if my body has suddenly decided to reject the balloon. I have returned to a soft diet again in hopes that it will help to ease the pain for a while. The doc has placed me back on Zofran to help with the nausea and cramping. Hopefully it will all balance out again over the next week.

Hi, it is October 2, 2017! This is Donna in Louisville, KY. USA.
4DAYS WITH BALLOON INCERTED.
I THREW UP, SLEPT, BARELY SIPPED ANYTHING. Now I'm feeling some better. I have had no intake in 4days so I know I lost. Next to buy a good scale.

One of my good friends from Rhode Island had a surgery, where I guess part of her stomach was removed, or something like that. She ended up looking entirely different, night & day different. She was a big girl, ...who became very lean, very quickly. She looked fantastic. Something I have considered, but seem a bit afraid. I saw a blog that had this spam link removed.......anyone at all ever hear of this, or try this, ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back