Gastric Balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another comment is an observation that I suspect the most important key to success with the balloon will be, along with eating nutritionally dense food in smaller quantities and exercise, mindfulness particularly mindful eating. I am already noticing that I am paying much more attention to what my body is telling me about how much and what I should be putting in my mouth. I am also trying hard to just drink (not while reading, watching TV etc) and hope to be able to keep this up when I start eating again as I am notorious for eating and Facebooking simultaneously.

This thread is long and spans lots of years. I have read it all. I am new to the forum. I'm glad there are a couple of recent posts, I hope you all continue to post. I am planning my balloon replacement, having the cardio tests next Tuesday to get approved. I don't feel like it is necessary but this physician does, he considers all risk factors before agreeing to procedures. I wanted the sleeve, he won't do that, he says the most he can do for me is the balloon, so I have agreed. His reasoning is very valid and I decided to take his advice. I have learned so much from reading the member's posts on this site. I was very horrified with the earlier years posts with the incidents with no follow ups or recommended diets to follow from the clinics. I hope things have changed since then. I've researched all of the clinics in my area, they all seem reputable and offer long term support. I chose this physician because of his version of the sleeve procedure. I believe in his recommendation for not having the sleeve done, the reasoning for his decline is more than I want to go into. So pretty soon, no sooner than 3 weeks, because I have to be clear liquids for 2 weeks before, I will be able to share my experience as well. I will continue to check in here on a regular basis to read up on stories. Best of luck to all of you!!

Day 11 after insertion. Tried some soft foods yesterday but I think I overdid it with too many different foods - not quantity. A couple of observations - I cannot tolerate saturated fats -I loved butter but a scraping of it yesterday on some bread made me feel ill. Smooth ricotta or spreadable cream cheese are better options. Second observation is that toast is much better tolerated than fresh bread. A tiny meal last night (20g fish, 2 tbsp mashed sweet potato and 1tblsp mashed broccolini) was simply too much and as a consequence I felt unwell with some reflux throughout the night. Slowly, slowly I think is the way to go in terms of re-introducing "normal" foods. However, since last Saturday I have lost 4k so very pleased with that. My energy levels have still not picked up that much but I am attributing this to my very,very reduced intake.:)

This thread is long and spans lots of years. I have read it all. I am new to the forum. I'm glad there are a couple of recent posts, I hope you all continue to post. I am planning my balloon replacement, having the cardio tests next Tuesday to get approved. I don't feel like it is necessary but this physician does, he considers all risk factors before agreeing to procedures. I wanted the sleeve, he won't do that, he says the most he can do for me is the balloon, so I have agreed. His reasoning is very valid and I decided to take his advice. I have learned so much from reading the member's posts on this site. I was very horrified with the earlier years posts with the incidents with no follow ups or recommended diets to follow from the clinics. I hope things have changed since then. I've researched all of the clinics in my area, they all seem reputable and offer long term support. I chose this physician because of his version of the sleeve procedure. I believe in his recommendation for not having the sleeve done, the reasoning for his decline is more than I want to go into. So pretty soon, no sooner than 3 weeks, because I have to be clear liquids for 2 weeks before, I will be able to share my experience as well. I will continue to check in here on a regular basis to read up on stories. Best of luck to all of you!!
Hello Mary B,

Having to be on clear fluids for 2 weeks before the insertion seems quite extreme and also difficult to do. I had to be on clear fluids only for 2 days before the procedure - I know that for other bariatric procedures sometimes there has to be a period of VLCD but that is to reduce fat around the liver to allow access to the stomach which of course is not a consideration for the balloon. Good luck if that is what you are required to do anyway - you'll hardly need the balloon!

Day 11 after insertion. Tried some soft foods yesterday but I think I overdid it with too many different foods - not quantity. A couple of observations - I cannot tolerate saturated fats -I loved butter but a scraping of it yesterday on some bread made me feel ill. Smooth ricotta or spreadable cream cheese are better options. Second observation is that toast is much better tolerated than fresh bread. A tiny meal last night (20g fish, 2 tbsp mashed sweet potato and 1tblsp mashed broccolini) was simply too much and as a consequence I felt unwell with some reflux throughout the night. Slowly, slowly I think is the way to go in terms of re-introducing "normal" foods. However, since last Saturday I have lost 4k so very pleased with that. My energy levels have still not picked up that much but I am attributing this to my very,very reduced intake.:)
Congrats on your weight loss! Sounds like you are being very smart about your observations, introducing one food at a time seems smart and the best way to determine what foods are not agreeable. As much as I have read and researched, very very low carbs are usually better tolerated, also high fat. I am very encouraged reading your story, you seem to be following the process more closely as recommended than most I have read. Good luck for continued success!
Mary

Hello Mary B,

Having to be on clear fluids for 2 weeks before the insertion seems quite extreme and also difficult to do. I had to be on clear fluids only for 2 days before the procedure - I know that for other bariatric procedures sometimes there has to be a period of VLCD but that is to reduce fat around the liver to allow access to the stomach which of course is not a consideration for the balloon. Good luck if that is what you are required to do anyway - you'll hardly need the balloon!
I absolutely agree with you! I was originally talking to him about the sleeve, so I intend to approach him about reducing the clear liquid times before I schedule, especially if my weight is down some from following the low carb eating that I am now. Thanks for your input!

Hi guys,

Tomorrow I will have more time to write. Since I am back to the States, I worked every day.
My question:
is there a specific diet or calorie quantity you have been recommended to do?
Unfortunately, I don't have any dietary supply, and my appetite is excellent, so I am struggling somewhat.

Thanks,
mz

If you're on solid foods, limit bread, pasta, rice and starches
avoid eating and drinking at the same time - 15 min before and 45 min after
Pea size bites, chew thoroughly
Consume 65 - 75 grams of protein every day
Optimal food choices:
Protein first 75% to 100% of meals
Some complex carbs (fruits, vegetables, whole grains) 0 - 25%
Choose mainly dense proteins )chicken, turkey, fish, beef)
Boil, broil, bake, poach, barbeque, crockpot
Hydrating fluids - goal of 64 oz per day, remember to sip sip sip
Nothing deep-fried
Avoid: tough/stringy or overcooked meats, foods hard to chew up that might get stuck, refined(white) carbs, fried or high fat foods, protein shakes.
That is what my diet sheet says from my doctor. I haven't had mine placed yet but I got this early to go over.

Hope this helps, good luck and welcome back!

If you're on solid foods, limit bread, pasta, rice and starches
avoid eating and drinking at the same time - 15 min before and 45 min after
Pea size bites, chew thoroughly
Consume 65 - 75 grams of protein every day
Optimal food choices:
Protein first 75% to 100% of meals
Some complex carbs (fruits, vegetables, whole grains) 0 - 25%
Choose mainly dense proteins )chicken, turkey, fish, beef)
Boil, broil, bake, poach, barbeque, crockpot
Hydrating fluids - goal of 64 oz per day, remember to sip sip sip
Nothing deep-fried
Avoid: tough/stringy or overcooked meats, foods hard to chew up that might get stuck, refined(white) carbs, fried or high fat foods, protein shakes.
That is what my diet sheet says from my doctor. I haven't had mine placed yet but I got this early to go over.

Hope this helps, good luck and welcome back!

Hi Mary B,

Thanks for your reply.
The diet that you wrote is a common sense one :) I thought there are more specific things they would say.
Of course, low carb, no fried food, no refined/white carb, etc. This is a diet that would help to lose weight even without a balloon.
The protein shake exclusion somewhat surprised me. I went through all of the posts here, before
I started to post myself (also, on other, non-English written sites), and I saw that people were using protein shakes.
I decided three days ago to combine balloon with WeightWatchers, and start a 1500 kcal/day diet. Guess what? I found that one day I can easily go on 400 kcal! Though next day I got 1200 kcal, and so on. I would love to have an equal kcal intake every single day instead of the ups and down. I got mine 20 days ago, I did lose some weight. Digital scale will arrive on Tuesday, and I will know my Dec-1 weight on that day, when my physician's assistant will call me back. I guess I am just being impatient when I read that people lost 25 lbs after one month, and I did not.

I also must add that I had only fluid intake between Jan-3 3 PM and Jan-9 3 PM (6 days total; balloon was inserted on the 4th), and I lost a lot of weight, was thinner than now, but I guess when I started to eat, most of that weight came back.

I also planned not to lose suddenly a lot of weight, because I don't want saggy skin, but I would be very happy with a 22 lbs weight loss in the first month :)))

I think I started somewhere around 270 lbs, and I was 140ish lbs 15 years ago. So, I have a to lot go, but I don't want any surgery. Plus don't have conditions where the insurance would pay for the surgery. My goal for the 28 weeks (7 months) is to lose 28-42 kilograms (x 2.22 = lbs), which i 1-1.5 kilogram per week (2.2-3.3 lbs/week -> ~60 is ideal, 120 would be way too much and probably impossible).

What bothers me if that I can easily drink half liter of fluid, although took it back to 200-250 ml, just to make sure that I will not expand my stomach.

I have never in my life could eat without drinking. It is very difficult for me to eat and not to drink or drink 30-45 min later. I am struggling with that part.

So far, I noticed on myself, that one sandwich with ham can fill me up for whole day. Eating at around 8 AM, then at around noon, and notbing after 6. I know that I should eat more frequently, but I just cant :-(

Anyway, will try to do my blog today.

The good thing is that I have not vomited since Jan-6 (two days after the balloon insertion), no bloating, I have bowel movement regularity. And yes, I have those burps other have been complaining, but they are small, not loud at all, and survivable.

Thanks again for your response.

mz

Last edited:
I was wondering whether any other ballooners had experienced severe night sweats after their balloon was inserted? I am waking up several times a night dripping with sweat and am finding this really tiring. It seems especially bad if I go to bed with a full stomach (not of food - I do not eat less than 2 hours before) but often water - for years I have consumed a large glass of water before going to bed and am finding this a hard habit to break. I wondered whether the night sweats were associated with rapid weight loss - in 8 days I have lost 6k (about 13lbs).

Wombat,

I think your night sweats may be due to hypoglycemia.
Google Somogyi effect, also, if you can, get a meter that you can use to check your blood sugar.
Hope it helps.

mz

PS.
When I was drinking water only first for 6 days after insertion (and one day before), I had that rapid weight loss, too, and I was sweating due to hypoglycemia, but mine was daytime. I brought some pure glucose pills with me (less than 8 kcal per pill, I think), and I can handle hypoglycemia now very well.

In terms of diet, the reality is that a healthy diet and eating nutritionally dense food in smaller quantities will result in weight loss - whether you have a balloon or not. Having the balloon hopefully is just a tool to create awareness and to get you listening to your body in terms of satiety etc. I've mentioned before that learning to eat mindfully seems to be a major benefit.

One comment re protein shakes - I have never been a fan but have found an excellent hospital grade one (not specifically for weight loss) recommended by the clinic I went to and find that this has been really helpful when I simply do not feel like eating (happening from time to time) and during the free fluid stage from Days 4 to 8. What does seem to be important is not going long periods without food and erratic caloric intake.

In general the rules of good nutrition apply still but I find that my tastes have changed already - very sweet things (I have never had a sweet tooth) are quite aversive and I cannot tolerate animal fats at all - except for lo-fat milk. I am so looking forward to being able to tuck into a salad!

Here is 1 menu option:
Breakfast(choose one from each section)
Scrambled egg (if tolerated) with turkey bacon and 1/2 slice of whole-wheat toast, or;
Morningstar Farms veggie breakfast sausage patty with an egg over-easy, or;
1 egg plus 1 egg white omelet with diced ham and 2% cheese
and
1/2 cup fat free ricotta with sugar free preserves, or;
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese with no sugar added applesauce, or;
Blue bunny sugar free yogurt

Lunch (choose one from each section)
95% lean deli meat with 2% cheese, spread with low fat cream cheese rolled up on a whole-wheat tortilla, or;
Chicken salad, tuna salad, or egg salad and Melba toast, or;
Taco salad - 90% lean ground beef, small amount of lettuce, tomato, onion, 2% shredded cheese, fat free sour cream, and chunky salsa, or;
and
Mashed new potato with 2% cheese and fat free sour cream, or;
1 egg whisked into 1/2 cup of simmering broth (egg drop soup), or;
1/2 cup black bean soup

Dinner (choose 1 meat 2-3 oz, 1 veggie 1/2 cup, and 1 complex carb 1/4 cup
Meats: Sweet turkey Italian sausage, moist rotisserie chicken, 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey meatloaf, grilled pork chop, grilled or blackened shrimp, pot roast, grilled steak, chili made with 90% lean ground beef, baked boneless, skinless chicken breast.
and
Veggies: snow peas, green beans, carrots, brussles sprouts, steamed cauliflower, steamed broccoli, stir-fry vegetables, red, yellow, or green bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, cabbage, spinach, greens.
and
Complex carbs: sweet potato, peas, potato, squash, corn, yams, plantain, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread.

3 meals per day with 1 protein supplement divided into mid morning and mid afternoon. Only clear liquids dinner.

I thought this one was pretty good.

In the soft foods stage, I am finding avocado on toast with a dash of lemon juice really, really satisfying - we do have to be careful not to totally eliminate good fats from our diets. My doctor strongly recommends the Mediterranean diet and my goal is to combine it with some really excellent clean food recipes that I love from Cleanfoodcrush. We all have different palates and while the above diet plan is good, those of us with more vegetarian leanings might need to be a little more adventurous.

Oh that sounds great, love avocado! Absolutely we all have to find what works for us individually! It is just a list of one type of diet, and I forgot to attribute to the source, Forest Park Medical Center. I am also more likely to follow something like the Mediterranean diet, I try not to rely so much on high sugar as I am diabetic.

Discovered the hard way that red meat and Bertie (the balloon) are not compatible. Tried a little minced beef following the dietitian's advice yesterday and vomited a number of times afterwards - the first time I have since the balloon was inserted 12 days ago. Have others had a similar experience? :angel:

I absolutely agree with you! I was originally talking to him about the sleeve, so I intend to approach him about reducing the clear liquid times before I schedule, especially if my weight is down some from following the low carb eating that I am now. Thanks for your input!
How much do you hope to lose Mary? And are you getting the 6m balloon or the Spatz? I wanted to lose about 30kg so am really pleased to have achieved 20% of that already. My gastroenterologist suggested that I think about a top up (I have 450ml) in about 3 weeks! I think I will leave it until my weight loss slows right down or stops - don't want to go through sedation and starvation unnecessarily. Under the plan I have, I can have as many adjustments as I want without additional costs.

Mary B, thanks for the menu options.

Wombat, I am somewhat successful avoiding meat, other than chicken/turkey ham sandwich. I know that I should have some meat, but somehow I just don't feel eating way too much meat. Probably I will go with the protein shakes, even if it is not recommended by some gastroenterologists. I had my balloon inserted 21 days (3 weeks) ago, and I vomited in the first 36 hours (5 times to be exact), but not since (knock on wood). I must admit, I am being nauseated lately most of the time when I am awake, but I can sleep very well. Did you get your balloon in the US? Just wondering which insurance company would allow unlimited adjustments with no extra charge.

Good weight loss Wombat!
Found out today it will still be 3 weeks before I get the insertion, boooo. I hope to lose 50 pounds, if I squint my eyes real hard, maybe I will, ha ha. I am getting the Orbera, don't know how full it will be, the nurse says the doctor kind of decides that as he is doing the procedure, but he did tell me it will be between 500 and 700. I changed my diet 2 weeks ago to a low carb and sugar diet. I hope this will help me lose a few pounds first and also be more prepared for the 2 week pre-op. I haven't weighed since I started it, but will be going tomorrow for my cardiac tests and will weigh then.

Meat and protein are both difficult to tolerate sometimes. I know there are some plant sources of protein, not as high, but may be more tolerable, peanut butter and beans. There are some protein cream soups and other items in some online stores, even Amazon.com and BariatricPal.com. I haven't stocked up yet on all of necessities but am making a list.

Got my pre-balloon weight, on the 22nd day my total weight loss is 15 lbs. I underestimated my original weight for sure :-( I have a lot more to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back