Funny things you see in the gym

Angelkae said:
Thant's kind of where I'm at anyway. How could I even think of telling someone they're doing something wrong when I'm not sure that I do it right?
Yeah... That is one of the funny things I see at gyms. People who don't know what they are talking about trying to give advice to someone that is performing an exercise properly. Fortunately, the couple of cases I saw the person being lectured raised his eyebrows and says something like, "Thanks man." And then keeps doing it the correct way after the would be trainor heads away.

Angelkae said:
The difference is, people in the gym are not asking for our advice or "help". They are not starting a conversation on the matter. In most cases they are not even making eye contact with you or acknowledging your existence.

However, when someone enters these forums, for the most part they are asking the innumerable members and visitors of the board for advice. They are starting a thread about the matter. BIG DIFFERENCE, in my opinion!

If someone at the gym asked my opinion, I would gladly give it.
That is what I meant when I said:

"I guarantee you that if I wrote a post about doing curls by throwing your back into it as hard as you could and swinging the weight up, I would get 20+ responses (some flaming ones) about how I was incorrect and passing on faulty and even dangerous information."

In this example, I would not be asking for advice... And yet, 20 people would chime in to help me understand what was wrong with my post.

I am just bitter.

Happy Friday!

rip said:
That is what I meant when I said:

"I guarantee you that if I wrote a post about doing curls by throwing your back into it as hard as you could and swinging the weight up, I would get 20+ responses (some flaming ones) about how I was incorrect and passing on faulty and even dangerous information."

In this example, I would not be asking for advice... And yet, 20 people would chime in to help me understand what was wrong with my post.

I am just bitter.

Happy Friday!

Okay, you're right. Just don't be bitter! :)

Truce, everybody!! lol!

Rip I am a paramedic so its a big deal to me to help ppl to prevent injury. body mechanics in lifting is a huge part of what I do on a daily basis and when ppl don't care it really makes me sad. I know that someday I'll be lifting them into my ambulance and wondering wtf??? I'm sorry but sometimes there is nothing you can do. Sorry I got a little harsh but it's reality some ppl would rather look cool than do things the right way. fact of life you know.. you can't beat a dead horse! no hard feelings I hope..

Tonya Paul said:
I think that you guys, are the main reason why a lot of people who aren't in the greatest shape (as you must be) are hesitant to start going to public gym. Have you ever considered assisting someone who you think may be struggle or uncertain? Give it some consideration....for we all can't be physical trainers now can we?????

I dont believe you paid enough attention reading through this post. Noone said "I seen this fat guy at the gym, what was he thinking??" I made posts about people that come in thinking they are the baddest SOB around, or think that by barely lifting an insane amount of weight, or having a figure competition in the mirror is cool. The other posts were along the same lines. Just because one person made a comment about a big girl wearing an 80's aerobics uniform, doesnt mean we are doing what you imply. Reread the info. I consistently tell the people on here that are hesitant about going to gym because of embarrassment to go, because the people you fear there, 90% dont know what they are doing.

tonymcclellan said:
I dont believe you paid enough attention reading through this post. Noone said "I seen this fat guy at the gym, what was he thinking??" I made posts about people that come in thinking they are the baddest SOB around, or think that by barely lifting an insane amount of weight, or having a figure competition in the mirror is cool. The other posts were along the same lines. Just because one person made a comment about a big girl wearing an 80's aerobics uniform, doesnt mean we are doing what you imply. Reread the info. I consistently tell the people on here that are hesitant about going to gym because of embarrassment to go, because the people you fear there, 90% dont know what they are doing.

Amen, bruh! :)

You guys are all really mean.

Actually, I offer advice sometimes. It really depends, if it's something like a squat or deadlift and I see they're form is jacked or if they're off due to a few minor deals (feet not wide enough, hunching shoulders, grip width, etc) then they'll usually take it pretty good. I find most people learning to squat or deadlift, Oly lift, etc will appreciate a tip. I, for example, find a lot of taller guys who squat try to start squatting with feet straight and a narrow stance.

I usually suggest starting with some box squats so they'll feel what it's like to sit back and gettin' them to spread their legs out more, etc. I don't come across as a know it all but more as a "by the way, I noticed that you were _______(fill in the blank) and man, you might try ________ I bet you'll lift more weight."

Anyway, I've just turned this into a rambling.

i love it when people try to help me out, like when i was doing bench for like the first time, this guy told me to use a wider grip to hit my chest more, he's a really cool guy actually, got to know him some just by talking at the gym after that. If i see someone using a really poor form, i usually tell them, though i dont go talking about stuff i only think is wrong, i gotta KNOW its wrong before i correct someone:p

hanging leg raises.. this group of 3 were doing them.. 1 of them everytime he'd lift his legs he would moan and groan and hiss; i couldnt bare to watch them! he was working his hip flexors wasnt doign them correctly. i was benching at the time [175] watching this made me want to drop the weight directly on my face :-O

Now everyone is scared to post a funny story because they don't want to look like an assh0le.

Well, when I lift, a 70 year old lady comes in in huge black Elizabeth Taylor-like sunglasses. She wears clothing that I would consider too formal for church (I'm talking dresses here). I've talked to her and she seemed like a really nice old lady. But, alas, she had the token "old lady doused in a gallon of the cheepest perfume **** on the planet" aroma. When will they learn? Grandma, are you listnening?

Well, she lifts more than me, so I don't wan't to offend her and get my skull pushed in (jk).

Here's another story that happened to me today, I was at the Spur's game (I live in SA) and during halftime they had wheelchair basketball. Well I wasn't thinking, so I turned to the guy in my left..... I'm just gonna stop this one here.

Last edited:
Finish it! LOL

The funniest/saddest thing I see in the gym are the people that are only good at working out, and proceed to masturbate their egos as they attempt to show just how superior they are towards everyone else. Because while I do pity them, I also find the situation humorous...

Oh yeah, and when the guys look at me while they do the exercise I just finished doing (see leg lifts)...to see if I approve, laugh, watch them, or...actually, I don't know why they do it. It kind of creeps me out.

Last edited:
Smalling said:
Not sure what a butter face type is, but we do get the occasional chick in "Barbie Wear" but mostly it's not a meat market place. I hate the meat market places because of these girls -- I don't want anyone leering at me, I'm here to workout! But because of them, the men are checking EVERYONE out, if only for a second. ick.

I would be more worried if no one was looking at you, then having people look at you. Don't take offense to it. Try to look at it more as a compliment. Unless the person is stalking you or something, then say something to a staff member.

rip said:
I don't agree. If you know categorically that someone is doing a maneuver incorrectly, it is your duty to mention something to them. Try doing it in a nice way like this:

I find it best to stay out of other people's business. If someone wants help they would go read up on working out, ask a trainer, or ask me if they think I'm doing something correct. Even when said in the most polite way most people do not take critisim well, especially from a stranger who they have no connection with.

Last edited:
ok, so, the story about the Spurs game - Wheelchair basketball. So this one player in a wheel chair actually jukes - goes right then left real fast and then wheels past another guy for a lay up. So, (being the James Bond fan I am) I decided to say something clever. "Man, he broke that guy's ankles" - which is a slang way of saying he juked and owned that guy with his skills, while also implying that the guy actually had ankles; to which he was missing one. And the guy to my left is looking right behind us.

The handycap section is directly behind me, with a man in a wheelchair staring me down something feirce.

Tex said:
ok, so, the story about the Spurs game - Wheelchair basketball. So this one player in a wheel chair actually jukes - goes right then left real fast and then wheels past another guy for a lay up. So, (being the James Bond fan I am) I decided to say something clever. "Man, he broke that guy's ankles" - which is a slang way of saying he juked and owned that guy with his skills, while also implying that the guy actually had ankles; to which he was missing one. And the guy to my left is looking right behind us.

The handycap section is directly behind me, with a man in a wheelchair staring me down something feirce.
LOL... Awesome.

how quickly a great funny light hearted thread turned into a flame cuz someones thin skin or some crazy reason wow cant we all just get along?

Tex said:

h haha ha ha thats great!

The funny things I see in the gym are almost always the people who are in great shape and can't help but keep looking at there self in the mirror. I saw this one guy doing crunches like crazy then as soon as he was done he went over to the mirror and pulled his shirt up to look at his abs. I thought now surely he doesn't think he is going to see results that quick from those crunches. It seems that the ones in great shape are the ones who do the really comical things in the gym.

You guys are killing me, making me really miss going the Gym. You could get a good workout and always count on some entertainment.

My place of work has a nice fitness center, which is what I use now. But since people all work together nothing really crazy happens.

This is more nasty than funny but yesterday there was this guy on the treadmill in front of me and he was wearing those nylon, side button, gym pants. They were white and he bent over to stretch his hamstrings out and there lied a 4 inch brown stripe right down his but crack.

Almost hurled. It was nasty!

Back