Funny things you see in the gym

Funny personal trainer story...

Yesterday my best friend / workout buddy and I had a session with our trainer. We always meet with him together.

He is rather cute (about the same as my husband but more fit, and way better looking than her husband) and although all three of us are married my friend likes to make comments about him when he walks off (They usually start with "if I were single, I'd"... of course we don't want him to hear it!). I admit I chime in sometimes too. Well, yesterday her comments were rather bold but very funny and every time he would walk up (he had 3 phone calls during our session) we would be giggling. I don't know about her but I just couldn't help it!

When we moved on to abs he laid 2 mats on the floor, told us to lie on our backs, and walked off to get some medicine balls. Of course when he came back we were still laughing about it. He said, "are you laughing about me saying 'lie on your backs'?" Of course we said no. He said, "Sorry, my mind has been in the gutter all day".

With that comment I realized that this guy probably had a good view of my boobs (and who knows what else) when he had me lying on the bench doing bench presses while he was sitting at the top, and throughout the session as well! and basically I stayed blushed for the rest of the session! LOL!

I thought I should add that I am there to lose weight and tone up (while wearing my plain old yoga pants and tank tops), not to pick up guys (except maybe the trainer... j/k).

Last edited:
tonymcclellan said:
I have no probs with the wb, but did you wear your nice baggy jeans and brand new white shoes?

Back in my younger days. Thug life... How old are them kids?

LeiYunFat said:
Angel...sex is good cardio. It also works the core a lot. Talk to your trainer about it...

hawt.

LOL, If I weren't married, I'd talk to him about it all the time!

I am so blushing right now...

BTW, did I just get sex advice from a minor? Oh, how the world changes... j/k.

Last edited:
tonymcclellan said:
No offense to the ladies, I'm sure there are guys who do this too, but there was also a girl who came in, butter face type. She was wearing some tight white pants and little pink top, the more I watched her workout techniques, I could tell she was more there for the attention of the men. Anyone have this?

All the time... then again I do go to a college gym. Hell it makes going to the gym a lot more interesting IMHO. Best of all, girls with spandax, while on the roman chair... oh... my... god... One time I saw an old guy (lots of them at my gym) checking out one of the girls on the roman chair, just staring at her butt... And not just a quick glance, I mean like stood there for a good minute or two.

Quite a good chuckle.

this is more stupid rather than funny or anything but it gives me a laugh every time i see it....theres these group of grade 9 or 10 football players who do their biceps every day, all they erally do is alternating curls but it's the worth thing i've ever seen....instead of using form they throw their back into it and their legs as well as only going to a 90% angle....they also start high and do as many reps as possible ... then without rest they'll go to the next with the same ****ty pointless form then they'll go onto negatives....I know it's a dropset but it's useless without form...oh yeah that also do it as fast as possible and don't let one arm fully unextend before raisnig the other...

tonymcclellan said:
No offense to the ladies, I'm sure there are guys who do this too, but there was also a girl who came in, butter face type. She was wearing some tight white pants and little pink top, the more I watched her workout techniques, I could tell she was more there for the attention of the men. Anyone have this?

Not sure what a butter face type is, but we do get the occasional chick in "Barbie Wear" but mostly it's not a meat market place. I hate the meat market places because of these girls -- I don't want anyone leering at me, I'm here to workout! But because of them, the men are checking EVERYONE out, if only for a second. ick.

There's one larger girl that's always doing aerobics and she has various colors of the "butt floss" that for some reason is worn OVER the spandex shorts. Even if I were slim and in great shape, I would not do this, but for a Big Girl, well, it just draws attention to the, um, Bigness. And I just never caught on to the reason for wearing what looks like UNDERwear OVER other clothing? Clearly I'm no fashionista...

I do think the guys that strap on the big round weight and wear it around like a pendulum are trying to make up for shortcomings ; ) It just looks obscene. Isn't there another way to strap on some extra weight??

Then there are the grunters. normally this doesn't bug me cuz it's usually natural, not the chest-beating LOOK AT ME crap. But in the cardio section a couple weeks back, the "tennis pro" was running on the treadmill. I'd never been there while he was working out, so was a bit shocked when he did his first "running grunt." I thought he was choking or coughing. nope, looked ok to me. Until he did it again in a few minutes. and again. And again. By that time, I was just trying not to look at him and keep from laughing out loud. Honestly, I don't run, partially because it hurts too much, but I have never heard grunting of any kind in cardio!!

RE: the superman stretches - they are fabulous for the lower back. I've been doing them for quite some time now and have become way more flexible and have fewer lower back problems. They are also part of Pilates, which also turns them into "swimming". Not so funny at our club, cuz most people do them - the trainers give all the newbies the same stretches. Luckily most of them aren't embarrassing ; )

Smalling said:
Not sure what a butter face type is...

I would not do this, but for a Big Girl, well, it just draws attention to the, um, Bigness.

Then there are the grunters.

RE: the superman stretches - they are fabulous for the lower back.

Butter Face= A girl with an exceptionally hot body but an exceptionally ugly face. Everything but-her-face is attractive. :eek:

Re: Butt Floss exercise wear... Don't ask me. Never wore it. Everything I do is to try and hide, disguise, or otherwise reduce my "bigness", lol! :D

We have grunters doing stretches at my gym. All I can think is, 'somebody get this guy a yoga instructor'! ;)

I tried the superman stretches (at home, of course). I agree, they're good, but I still don't think I'd want to be the only one doing them at my gym!:eek:

I think that you guys, are the main reason why a lot of people who aren't in the greatest shape (as you must be) are hesitant to start going to public gym. Have you ever considered assisting someone who you think may be struggle or uncertain? Give it some consideration....for we all can't be physical trainers now can we?????

Uhh... sorry. I don't think anyone here meant offense. I for one am not a PT, in fact I only started going to the gym (for the first time ever) November 1, so needless to say I am not in perfect shape. My form has been corrected by gym employees on 2 occasions. Let me tell ya, if they weren't PT's I would have kicked their asses for talking to me, lol!

But seriously, this thread is a lighthearted one. No one was trying to offend you or poke fun at you. And I must say that I disagree with your suggestion of assisting a struggling exerciser. There are too many people who really would take offense, and besides, that's a trainer's job.

I don't agree. If you know categorically that someone is doing a maneuver incorrectly, it is your duty to mention something to them. Try doing it in a nice way like this:

"Hi, I saw you doing curls and I must say you appear pretty strong and experienced. And, Judging by your physique, you have been at this for a while. I just wanted to mention that I noticed you were swinging your body and throwing the weight up instead of doing a smooth careful motion. While this may allow you to curl more weight, I have read that it is bad on your lower back and can contribute to elbow and shoulder injuries among other things."

The most the person can do is think you are whacked and not listen. But, they may listen and you may have just helped them to avoid potential future problems. Not to mention, you may have just introduced yourself to a future friend and/or training partner.

Most folks will respect someone who mentions that their information comes from something they read or otherwise. In some cases, they even know they re doing it wrong and may come back with something like this, "Yeah... You're right. I know it's wrong, but I feel like I need to do something to blast past this plateau. Do you have any ideas?"

From there, you can offer sound advice that you have learned.

Remember that if we stand idly by while someone does something that we know is incorrect, unintentionally we are contributing to their future physical issues.

If I am doing something wrong (and I usually am), I want people to approach me and give me FRIENDLY constructive criticism.

Note: If you aren't sure about an exercise, than you should never offer to show someone the proper way. This could prove to be worse than doing nothing at all.

Bottom line: If you know without a doubt the proper technique, approach them and let them know. So what if they think you are an asshole (you probably are), at least you tried.

(-:

-Rip

So you're telling me as a woman, and a small one at that, that going up to some big mancho guy working out at my gym and correcting his form is the thing to do. not a frickin chance!!! Do you know what would happen if I did that???? I have kids to think about and let me say this I have corrected a few of the ladies, they look at you as if you have three heads and then tell you its the way they like to do it... so damned if you do damned if you don't.. Tell you what I keep my mouth shut if someone wants help they can ask for it..

jenn said:
So you're telling me as a woman, and a small one at that, that going up to some big mancho guy working out at my gym and correcting his form is the thing to do. not a frickin chance!!! Do you know what would happen if I did that???? I have kids to think about and let me say this I have corrected a few of the ladies, they look at you as if you have three heads and then tell you its the way they like to do it... so damned if you do damned if you don't.. Tell you what I keep my mouth shut if someone wants help they can ask for it..
If I walk by an alley and two thugs carrying knives are about to rape you... And, you fail to scream out for my help... Should I walk on knowing that there is a chance I will be hurt or even killed. Well I can tell you, that ain't gonna happen (you're welcome). I am gonna stroll in there like 5-0 and start tellin' those guys what's up. If I need to grab a garbage can lid and start bustin' skulls so be-it. I will not stand by idly while another person is hurt.

This may be a FAR stretch from what our discussion is, but I am relating it the way I think of it. If someone is really doing a move wrong, and I can help, then why on earth would I not at least try?

And, what does woman have to do with anything? Why is that card thrown around so liberally (unfortunately it is usually the guys who do this one)? If Trainer Lynn (I think she has a good head on her shoulders and REALLY knows what she is talking about) was there talking to me about what I am doing wrong, I would gladly accept her advice. Woman or man.

It is funny how people correct each other (many times in harsh fashion) in this forum, where you aren't actually face-to-face... And yet, many of us are to scared to approach someone in the REAL world with some knowledge and a little advice.

I guarantee you that if I wrote a post about doing curls by throwing your back into it as hard as you could and swinging the weight up, I would get 20+ responses (some flaming ones) about how I was incorrect and passing on faulty and even dangerous information.

*shaking head with dissapointment*

Be a man (oops sorry... Be a woMAN)! Step up to the plate and tell someone what you feel face-to-face.

BTW - I already stated this, but here it goes again... Do not try to help if you don't know what you are talking about. That is key.

I walk my talk. And, I believe in helping others whenever possible. And, I feel that the world would be a better place if you did the same.

Last edited:
Well I think that given my experiences at the gym that it would be unwise to approach the know-it-all guys that I'm talking about.. Woman or not these guys scare everyone in there and they are doing theings that will hurt them in the long run.. Now I have stated that I have corrected ppl at the gym but some ppl don't want help. so what do you do??? Given my profession do you really think that I would turn my back on someone who really wanted or really needed my help. not a chance but I will not put myself in danger either, I have children to worry about. So if mancho meathead wants to throw around the weights bc he thinks it makes him look cool well then so be it!!

rip said:
Note: If you aren't sure about an exercise, than you should never offer to show someone the proper way. This could prove to be worse than doing nothing at all.-Rip

Thant's kind of where I'm at anyway. How could I even think of telling someone they're doing something wrong when I'm not sure that I do it right?

Jenn,

No offense meant. Seriously. I just get on my soap box because I see so many people (in all walks of life) not standing up for what they believe in.

In your case, it may not make sense if the guys are scary and won't listen anyway. If they are doing this stuff regularly, then you can bet that someone else has tried to give them advice and obviously they aren't listening.

I dunno your profession, but I assume you help folk in time of need by your description. Kudos. We need more people like you.

Peace kiddo,
Vaughn

rip said:
It is funny how people correct each other (many times in harsh fashion) in this forum, where you aren't actually face-to-face... And yet, many of us are to scared to approach someone in the REAL world with some knowledge and a little advice.

The difference is, people in the gym are not asking for our advice or "help". They are not starting a conversation on the matter. In most cases they are not even making eye contact with you or acknowledging your existence.

However, when someone enters these forums, for the most part they are asking the innumerable members and visitors of the board for advice. They are starting a thread about the matter. BIG DIFFERENCE, in my opinion!

If someone at the gym asked my opinion, I would gladly give it.

Back