Flyer's diary

i've been thinking about getting back into archery recently.
what the hell has happened to the long bow... !?!

monster bow.jpg

after giving up beer for about a year (March 2020 - March 2021) i have recently begun to re-realize a dieting downside. i pass a 7-11 on the walk home and my junk food resistance is just about zero after a few pints.

getting bored staying at 168 for over a year, decided to experiment. thought i would attack the "i only cheat one day a week" crowd. my cheating was eating somewhat more than i should in a day + cutting my fasting time to a simple 8 hours. been doing this for the past 6 weeks or so.

been seeing this a lot of mornings.
even worse... all my sweats were in the laundry, so this should really be 171...

10.07.21..171.0.jpg

i have seen 175 toward the end of the day.... mostly water, but still.

i have a good opportunity to change this around. two weekends this month i'm going back to running the locomotive, so those weekends were always easy times to be good. overall, i will go back to being more strict through the holidays. ... not going to cut out beer, but going to try my best to avoid the post-pint mini-binges.

i wouldn't hesitate to write this off as psychological, but on the day after's, hunger episodes seemed to be a lot more frequent.

yum... i put three in the freeze dryer this morning...

pineapple.jpg

no doubt price increases in general are a problem ...if you want to call it inflation, go ahead... my take is everyone trying to make up for lost profits last year. shop wisely... i really don't look that hard and manage to find great deals every day.

if i lived 10,000 years ago, i would have no problem believing in a god or gods.
for a single one of these tiny seeds to turn into a plant like this...
how could it be explained other than as a miracle.

pepper seeds.jpg

serrano pepper plant.jpg

i've been wanting to get a particular lens for my DSLR but recently i saw that it was on a waiting list everywhere. then i discovered a notice that Nikon was taking about a half dozen lenses off the market for various reasons and the lens i wanted was one of them. ...mostly a manufacturing cost saving, none being taken down for quality. i managed to find one that was factory refurbished and i jumped on it.

when i worked for the Navy i was one of the few in our division who had a govt credit card. a program eventually taken offline due to some idiots using it for things like filling up their gas tanks ... and much worse. while it was active, however, it was a great way to actually get parts when you needed them and not 6-8 weeks later. i saw them hands-on, and i purchased a few factory refurb laptops which would otherwise been outside my spending limit. believe me... factory refurbished = like new. i rarely told the user it was and i never got a complaint. there was a shorter warranty usually involved, but at a typical 30% off retail, it is wall worth it.

so i got the lens... a really nice Hoya UV filter... payed the state tax and still saved about $100 over retail.
delivered today and it is just as i expected.... though it came in a plain brown box... :( ... :)

nikon_20055b_af_s_dx_nikkor_16_80mm_1474638377_1273291.jpg

Last edited:
after losing over a year and a half, it was great to get #753 out on the track again. the club has been partially open since April, but the 100° summer days in Riverside aren't really the best times to fire up a stream locomotive. cooler temps and a fun weekend..!

RLS Fall Meet 10.22.21.jpg

Last edited:
glad i tried this when it wasn't that much of an emergency.
55+ minutes on hold to speak to the non-emergency line.
how useless is this...

IMG_4740.jpg

i foresee a letter to the editor in the near future.

one of my online movie streaming pet peeves.
i wonder how upset old-time actors would feel seeing their movies cast at the wrong aspect ratio...

16:9 ... fat heads...!
ratio fix.jpg

4:3 ... the right stuff...!
ratio fixed.jpg

i had to meet a friend yesterday so the fast ended just short of two days. probably the worst part was how it ended... beer and Halloween candy (only a few baby Snickers... :) ). massive headache today.... oh well.

something i've learned... don't weight yourself after an evening of drinking.
you WILL be light... dehydrated.
you will think it looks good, that you did no damage... but don't be deceived.

once in a while i do the math so i can remember how dumb it is to order a $15 dining-out cheeseburger...

IMG_4753.JPG\

the two packages made fourteen 4.64 oz burgers @ $1.46/ patty.
since it is low fat, i wouldn't be surprised if, unlike Mac's, these will be ¼lb'ers AFTER cooking... :)
even adding $2 worth of bun/ bagel, cheese, onion, tomato, pickle, etc.
and with a tall glass of iced tea, still less than a $5 meal.
... they went right into the freezer.

going to roast up some pumpkin seeds later today.
yum...!

IMG_4750.JPG

Last edited:
if you live in a city, NEVER pay for Amazon Prime.
this happens EVERY time...

amazon ship.jpg

Amazon vans are here every day.
it makes no sense for them to delay shipping,
it is just stuff that can misplaced or lost.

every time my order says 5-7 days (min)
every time it gets here in 2.

You look contented & in your element. Without doing the precise maths, I assume it's your birthday. If so, here's a card-
1636149462829.png
If it's not your birthday, I'll just sneak away quietly...........​

a tip for freezing hamburger patties... the basics of stacking them between Al foil came from watching my mom, but i modified it a bit. i stack them very gently before freezing. in an hour or two they are solid and then i wrap them up more tightly. when i need some, i move from freezer before noon into the fridge... they are ready to use the next day. the best part about letting them freeze first... you don't get any foil embedded in the burger and they defrost in perfect condition...

IMG_4756.JPG

Last edited:
i ground up some freeze dried jalapenos today... dangerous stuff...
IMG_4760.JPG

mixed a little in with the butter for roasting the pumpkin seeds... nice and spicy...!
IMG_4762.JPG

getting pretty sick of hearing everyone blaming everyone else for inflation. democrats are spending too much (although the spending bill just got signed a few days ago... boy that's fast...!)... republicans increased the debt with their tax breaks for businesses... bottom line... everyone wants higher salaries... what on earth did you think would happen...? ... business owners would take the hit??

and to the guy on the news this morning complaining about the price of bacon being outrageous... here's a tip... DON'T BUY BACON...!

hate to sound like a broken record, but EVERY DAY i shop i find something marked down. i also take advantage of senior's days (1st and 3rd Wednesdays... when i can remember)... 10% off everything but alcohol.

IMG_4768.JPG

along with a few large onions & a big head of cauliflower, another 5+ meals @ ~ $3/ serving.

Last edited:
Back