Flyer's diary

Happy Winter Hump Day...
45 days down, 45 days to go!

i avoided both Super Bowl parties and walking down to a local bar to watch the game with a few friends who were likely there. 1) i didn't really feel like having a lot to drink... although in retrospect, doing a shot after every touchdown wouldn't have been a real chore. and 2) it was raining off and on ... and cold, ok... wet, ok... cold & wet, not really.

the day after... yesterday... however, i did start the day with a fairly good walk ending about 1:30 and seeing i was up well before dawn, i started the day with a breakfast of two pints of Dos XX... hold the lime. sometimes this practice worries me, but it rarely happens more than 3-4 times a month. the Wednesday NYT crossword is an addiction i'm hesitant to kick. and yes... i realize yesterday was Monday.

i'm glad i don''t count calories. having a beer or two would certainly be less enjoyable.

the past two weeks have been interesting in that through screwing up my sleep schedule nearly every other day, i seem to have fallen into a slightly revised intermittent fasting schedule. often falling asleep shortly after breakfast (i'm typically up 8-9 hours before breakfast), many of my days have shifted from the, up until now, in the 19/5 area to more like 16/8 fairly regularly up to a few 14/10 days. anything less than 14 hours i wouldn't really consider a fasting day at all, though on 14/10 days i did make sure i included some sort of exercise if only tackling a home project.

over this time, however, i still was keeping an informal check on my weight and though it varied as much as 8 lbs (-3 /+5 from today), today i am sitting at exactly my weight 3 weeks ago and currently trending downward (haven't been to the Y in 3 days ... can't let the sloth monster win!). i'm feeling pretty good about this. sitting on the Healthy/ Overweight border for a while now (currently hovering at 24.nn BMI), it seems like shifting to a more permanent 16/8 schedule might be just right if i want to maintain this weight.

but still a few bulges i'd like to see at least get smaller, so it might be a more circuitous journey than before, but i'd like to get into the 23.nn BMI range to see what that looks/ feels like.

Thought for the Day... the metric system ... Got History?

from an article in The Week by Arika Okrent
lb text.jpg

The word "gram" comes from the Late Latin "gramma" meaning a small weight via the French "gramme."
kilo = 1,000. math ... *yawn*

"a pint's a pound, the world around" ... Imperial Thinking!

I think when you do IF you seem to not even want to overeat. You won't have much trouble sticking to 16:8 & those little bulges should just disappear.

i have to agree with that... the days i extended my eating window to 8-10 hours (by screwing up and falling asleep after breakfast), i knew i had the time to get in another small meal, but frankly i could have easily skipped it. even more telling... when i do make anything i'll usually double or triple the normal portion i'd eat just to save the time of cookinig again (and again)... so the food is right there, but i rarely overindulge. i'm just not that hungry at most times of the day anymore.

i've been having a hard time keeping an consistent intermittent fasting schedule recently and have now managed to push my eating window so late in the day, i've decided to start another multi-day fast. whether i just keep it up until tomorrow to reset my eating window or keep it going will be something i'll work out in the morning. if the last time i did this is any indication, though, i remember the second day as being the easiest. i certainly do feel like getting the benefit of a 48+ hour fast so the chances are probably pretty good that i'll continue this one for at least 3 days. again, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

i'm again amazed at this phenomena. i fasted the entire day yesterday and yet this morning i feel no different than any other morning when i'd have eaten normally the previous day. in fact, if anything i feel slightly more energetic than most mornings. my body is obviously encouraging me to get out there and find some food... lol. how anyone can continue to deny the science behind human evolution remains puzzling.

ended this short fast after ~60 hours yesterday. this one was kinda impromptu anyway. i didn't really have much food in the house, so i figured, why not. on the downside, all i had was oatmeal, two eggs and a few frozen oat flout pretzels i had throw in the freezer after i tried making some last week (but turned out less than very tasty... somewhat my fault in making them), but that seemed to do the trick until i go out shopping today.

my other "getting old" daily diet... *sigh*

med sups.jpg
may as well have some fun with it... :)

snacking 101

IMG_3465.JPG

Cal 163 -- Cal from Fat 108
fat ... 12.3g -- sat fat ... 2.6g

sodium ... 272 mg
carbs ... 12.8 g -- fiber ... 2.1 g

sugar ... 3.2 g
protein ... 4.1 g
=======================================================================

so here is a better example of how my snacking practice absorbed a fairly poor choice. i wanted to mix up my mix, but failed to fully check the label and wound up with two of of 6 bags being a less than smart choice with a single serving of 23g (!!) of sugar. however, mixing them in with four other low to no sugar snacks somewhat lessened to impact as you can see...

snacking 101.2cp.jpg

snacking 101.2.jpg
the sinister parts of these snack packs are those M&Ms-on-steroids-looking things. chocolate covered chocolate & peanut butter. but comparatively, aside from the 2.3x sugar boost, these 25 snack bags won't be too different than version one as you can see in the "tot srv" column... the nutrition in a single bag. version one lasted the better part of a month as i suspect these will.

still, when looking at those chocolate snacks, i could imagine someone sitting down with a single bag, downing the 3.5 servings easily enough with the resulting 80+ gm of sugar in a matter of minutes. add a 20 oz coke and you've just downed ~150 gm (37+ teaspoons) of sugar.

somewhat recently, whenever i catch a movie scene where the middlemen dealers are shown cutting drugs with powdered sugar, i can't help but wonder which part is more deadly.

Last edited:
snack plates.jpg

by the way, if these occur to you as pretty skimpy snacks, a while ago i kept track over a few evenings and taking my time ... of course anyone could down this less-than-a-handful in seconds... on the average it takes me about 10 minutes; usually in concert with some black coffee. i treat these treats as such and i know my stomach has no taste buds.

next time if i double up on the low sugar snacks, the increased bag count will cut sugar down to a more reasonable daily snack level. it was handy moving the values over to a spreadsheet to be able to play around with the numbers.

Last edited:
43° and tornadoes predicted in Southern California... yeah, right... no climate change here.

weather.jpg

Last edited:
could there be a worse time of year than 12/31 --> 1/1 to make a dieting resolution? if you're in the northern hemisphere, you're in for the worst two months of winter and in the south, the start of the hottest months of the summer. i'll credit weather with at least partial responsibility for my recent hovering which i suppose i could always call maintenance.

have to admit i've been pretty lazy recently. maybe it's the shorter winter days, but in a way i believe the intermittent fasting may have caught up to me and i've been relaxing my fasting schedule more consistently to 16/8 or even as low as 14/10 days. this seems to be keeping me within a 6-8 lb range around a 25 BMI for at least the past two months. good to know i can probably maintain this weight easily. i know when days start getting longer (ok, i know they are already.... slowly) and warmer weather comes around at the end of March/ April, i will be much more active. maybe a short break is just what i need... just sometimes i feel guilty... and i'd much rather be hovering around the BMI=24 mark.

still waiting out the winter and hovering at a 24.5 BMI for about 3 months now. it was nice to see DST finally arriving, but now i miss the morning sun.

i bought a cast iron skillet a few weeks ago and have been working on getting that in shape...

Lodge 10in skillet.jpg
for anyone thinking about spending up to $150+ (i saw a few in that range), please save your money. this is a 10" Lodge from Target for $15. it's all about the seasoning. i've been very careful to get it bone dry and then keep it oiled between uses and it's already turned into a great cooking asset. i made some of this garbanzo bean flour pan bread (socca) last night and it turned out perfectly (this is a pic from the recipe, but mine looked very close in appearence).

socca.jpg
simple bacon and eggs is where it really shines, though.

Happy St. Pat's! ... i'm off in a few hours for some CB&C!
have to indulge once in a while ... :)

Reactions: M2M
Back