Flyer's diary

i've decided that i'm curious enough to go one more day just to see what happens. i find myself calculating hours not in anticipation of some deadline which i've yet to determine anyway, but out of amazement that every tick brings a new record time of fasting. i find myself anxious to get the day started... probably go for an extended walk this morning. the ocean was amazingly rough a few days ago. might be a sight worth taking in today.

i have only had one ~5 minute attack of hunger so far today (only about three hours old) which needed no help in passing rather quickly. i'm going to keep count today to note if/ when those continue to occur.

so i considered the explanation i'd have to give my doctor for skipping two days of meds along with not wanting to go through a more complex "break-fast" and decided to eat at noon today. i will consider it a 4/44 intermittent fasting super-day. it seemed so easy/natural i'm sure i'll try it again soon.

i did get another short hunger pang (they seem to last about 3-4 minutes) on the walk home this morning, but frankly i get them on regular intermittent fasting days occasionally, too. previously i thought these were associated with either drinking liquids or not drinking liquids, but these last two today came and went without any interaction on my part and just passed with time.

not sure what this is associated with, but recently i have had a few bouts of severe leg cramps, usually at night. i'll have to look into this if it persists or gets worse.

got in touch with my doctor and it turns out i was ok in skipping my daily med which is at my discretion. so i'm back to skipping a day (today) and tomorrow morning i will pick up where i left off last time, approaching 48 hours. i watched a video the other day which may explain why i got hunger pangs when they occurred. my body is getting used to my 10-11am to 3-4pm eating window so preceding that window, i will start feeling hungry....

Intermittent Fasting & Hunger - What the Science says

according to this, the first day... the day i went through... is the hardest as they gradually get easier. i think i'll shoot for four days this time... noon on Christmas Eve will be 92 hours. i have a feeling the urge to stretch it to an even 100 hours might come into play, but i'll see.

had to do some repair work in the kitchen today. i sure do miss cooking since i do so little now. i believe i'll try to avoid that room for a few days.

well, i'm back at ~48 hours again. this time the morning was a little different. no walk, just some housework/ home repairs today. mind not really on eating and definitely not hungry. not even one hunger pang/ episode today... yet. see what the evening brings.

disappointment of the day.... apple cider vinegar.

i watched a few videos that praised this for an ok beverage while fasting, but... *yuck* horrible stuff!!

i tried looking up recipes, but all so far combat the taste with forms of sugar.
if it's an "acquired" taste, sorry, but i believe i'll leave this one unacquired.

Hah! Yes, I agree - good for removing tooth enamel and accelerating my already hair trigger heartburn, but not much else.

BossSomm... glad someone else feels that way... lol.

approaching the 3rd skipped eating window and feeling good, HOWEVER... i've started to really do miss eating. i just walked through my kitchen and was a little sad that i won't be preparing a meal for a few days yet. now don't misunderstand me, i am definitely not hungry, but eating, ... being able to taste all those flavors is definitely something i can place apart from hunger and am missing.

well i got an email message from an old work friend to meet for lunch so i broke the fast with a small meal this morning and i'll maybe have a few brews for lunch... have to say i miss beer. i'll make this a 6-7 hour eating window that will end earlier than usual. but i'll pick up again with the intermittent fast tomorrow.

not sure if 85 hours is a relatively short multi-day fast, but only having bacon and eggs in the house, that didn't seem to be too much for breakfast. feeling great and will probably walk over to the Y for a bit before i head down to the beach for lunch. haven't weighed myself in 2 days now... i'll probably pick that up again tomorrow. i hope to see a bit of a loss due to the fast, but not too worried about it. pretty sure it would have been impossible to gain any weight, though i tried to drink more water than usual these past few days.

Merry Christmas to me!! .. ok, to everyone else, too.... :)

i was shooting for 1/1 to hit a healthy BMI, but i'll take it a week early. celebrated this morning having two pieces of shortbread with a mug of coffee. i'm sure my liver has room for a few hundred calories at the moment. being Christmas Day i also decided to expand my intermittent window to pretty much all day today. as long as i quit by early evening i'll do ok, not that i really expect to pig out today, though.

the trip to a green BMI has been interesting and quite unexpected. a few months ago, i never thought i would even see 190 in the near future. i only wish people would get more informed about how nutrition works, and read about all the misinformation that has been drilled into our heads by people who you should be able to trust.

"You will decrease your chance of heart disease and lose weight by eating a reduced calorie, low fat diet and exercising more"... BULL**** ... i expect politicians to lie, but not health professionals.

View attachment 26669
BMI = 24.75

i discovered a great feature of Google Maps. when you put in a walking path as directions, it will not only calculate the distance, but it will map out and calculate the elevation changes. the 3.3 mile walk i take to and from the Y detailed below reaches a maximum elevation of 164' above and a minimum elevation of 16' below my start/end point (my home), but in total, includes 358' of uphill and 358' of downhill elevation changes. the sharp rise is elevation i throw in twice, once on the way there and once on the way back, is a concrete series of three flights of steps, (30, 20 & 20 steps) along with a final steep sloping grade another 50-60' long that connects two local streets. i nice little workout walk to augment the stop at the Y.

of course it helps to live in SoCal to be able to enjoy a sunny day walk on 2 Jan... :cool:

View attachment 26719
View attachment 26721

Google maps is very cool. I also love Google Earth and can literally spend hours on it just looking at different stuff, like tiny islands, lol.
Them stairs are no joke!

i often take walking tours around cities. a few recent ones... Tokyo... wow, what i clean city!! i couldn't see one bit of litter. but then i shifted gears and spent a while in Guatemala City... where you'll find heavily armed para-military on every other corner, barbed wire everywhere you look and whole multi-block sections of city that are surrounded by walls with entry only through controlled gates.

back to reality... after my 85 hour fast ending on Christmas Eve, i decided to relax my intermittent fasting through New Year Day and at least 2-3 days i probably hit a 12/12 spreading out my eating window for most of the day, but still trying to throw in a 12 hour fasting period. the outcome i'm seeing today is not much of a glitch, but back to ~180-182. just about where i was before the multi-day fast, but frankly better than i thought it was going to be. i'm guessing my increase in exercise has had some impact.

decided to try something new...

rather than intermittent fast on a 24 hour cycle, i will shift to a two day (48 hour) cycle... to be succinct, a 5/24/5/14 schedule. on alternate days my eating window will either be 10am - 3pm or 3pm - 8pm. this will effectively throw in a 24 fasting period every other day without (hopefully) too much stress. unfortunately i have too many variables in my diet to gauge the effect this change will have, but just to shake things up a bit might be worth the attempt.

so my new plan on intermittent fasting on a 48 hour repeating schedule vs 24 hours doesn't seem to be working, but in a strange way. after shifting my eating window later in the day, i can't seem to get hungry by the nest morning, so i have essentially been staying on a 5/19ish intermittent fast, but now the "five" has moved to the early evening. i start my eating window about about 4pm and end around 8-9pm. this seems so much easier, though i'm not 100% sure if it isn't somewhat based on just doing something different. a short eating window, vs my old schedule of eating basically anytime between getting up in the morning and retiring for the day, isn't very conducive to a lot of options.

still hovering around 180.

i try to mention this to anyone, so what better place... i am not in favor of bird feeders as birds aren't smart enough to properly manage a typically seasonal and/or sporadic artificial resource. but helping them out with water is not only beneficial to everyone, but a lot of fun to watch. for 99¢, a bucket lid from Home Depot is the perfect depth for a bath.

View attachment 26807

over on the left side... i discovered two reasons to put in a big rock. at first the birds seemed to be puzzled as to how deep the water was and i think putting in the rock helped them figure that out. and being made from plastic, it helps keep it in place if you are in a windy spot.

the past 3-4 days have been a bit of a challenge. today is the first day i'm feeling a lot more normal again. from the scare tactics my doctor gives me every year (i never get a flu shot), i'm sure it was just a simple virus, but i certainly felt run down and now i have an annoying cough which, from past experience, should hang around for a week or two. one thing i did not do was to change my IFing schedule. i figured more food would just stress my body more and i believe it was the best tact to take. the only thing i did differently was to up my daily aspirin tablet to a few more in an attempt to reduce my fever. whatever i did, ... or didn't do... at least it seems to be close to being over.

serendipitously (for SoCal), i only missed a few rainy days... :)

over the past few months i have read a lot about the use of artificial sweeteners and their effect on ketosis, and discovered there are numerous opinions both pro and con. in this respect i thought i'd offer that i used to favor Splenda when the choice of yellow, pink and blue were offered, but after too many opinions that Splenda has the best chance of triggering an insulin reaction of the major sweeteners, i switched and now only use Sweet 'n Low... sodium saccharin. though it has been under attack by the health field off and on, most of this has been disproven over the years and aside from the increase in sodium (minimal), i have come to trust it and i will definitely say that at least in my case, it has no effect on ketosis and does not seem to trigger an insulin reaction as far as i can tell.

i have to admit that my use has declined somewhat... i only use a single packet in a large, 16-20 oz coffee or iced tea. in some of the tests i saw, they often used 3-5x the amount i use.

Back