Flyer's diary

dang... this was even after a huge cup (jar, actually... some years ago i got fed with with breaking glasses, i use recycled jars now) of coffee this morning. guess it wasn't a fluke. have to admit the stall around Christmas was probably due to a bit of excess all around. BMI of 24.5... for the moment... :)

View attachment 26889

Last edited:
change of wardrobe day today. officially retired the size 42 belt and found two old 38's to bring back into the rotation. along with that i've come to realize that the 38" waist jeans were just looking too baggy so i dug half a dozen dusty pairs of 36" jeans from way back in the closet and threw them in the wash.

T-shirts will be the plan of attack tomorrow. like the jean downsizing, i know there are some Large T's i may not have worn in years that i will be able to resurrect though some XL's on the new side will likely be demoted to wearing around the house only. sort of a bitter sweet transition. i'll miss a few, but also will be glad to finally see some old friends come back to life.

things i haven't had in over 5 months...

soda... even though i only drank diet soda, i just haven't had any desire to drink one and on a daily basis, i rarely run into a soda machine anyway. the real hidden evil in soda is the amount of sodium ... aka salt. the sugar is there to hide the salt, but the salt (and caffeine if in the contents) is there to make you thirsty... a drink that makes you thirsty... how about that!

milk... i used to drink milk, a lot of milk... non-fat milk. must be good for you, right? well, milk contains lactose... aka: sugar. non-fat milk actually contains the most sugar, upwards of 15 gm... three glasses of milk have the same amount of sugar as a 12 oz can of soda.

yogurt... again, sugar. fruit flavored yogurts have 2-3x the sugar.
granola... granola and yogurt? sounds like a healthy breakfast, right? this will give you more sugar than is recommended for an entire day.

anything in a box... this actually started it all. one day i looked at a box of corn bread mix. corn bread... how bad could corn bread be...

View attachment 26941

13 gm sugar PER SERVING.... 156 gm of sugar in the box. more than 1/3 of the box is simple sugar? hold on... check the other contents.

View attachment 26943

i won't even mention "honey powder" (ingredients: honey, refinery syrup), but how about "Enriched Unbleached Flour"? see that ingredient called "malted barley flour"? look it up... by any other name, that is sugar. in total, well over half the dry contents of the box is sugar of some sort. then you have to mix it up... ok, 2/3 cup milk (more sugar), 1/3 cup vegetable oil (right... vegetable oil... a whole other topic that i won't get into here), and 1 egg (wow... something borderline ok).

if you notice, i haven't said i've given up corn bread, but the recipe i have now uses 3 Tbsp sugar total. in an 8x8" pan i get 16 pieces. that entire pan of corn bread has less calories from sugar than ONE PIECE, 1/12th of the box mix.

for the first time in months i have to take a road trip this weekend (maybe five days). for the first time in months i will be without a kitchen... microwave and small fridge will be available. ... this should be interesting.

well, a few of the jeans were snug, BUT... i then realized that half of them were 35" waist, not 36". guys will probably appreciate my elated reaction more than women. with men's jeans, 35" is the last odd size waist you can find before they start going up by two... 36", 38", 40", etc. the best part was that they were ONLY snug in the waist... the last little bit of pudge i'm looking at. if i drop anymore weight, some of that will definitely go.

i looked at the last month and even though there was a slow down in the loss i've been seeing which up to this point had been on the order of ~10 lbs/ month, i'm still rather pleased. i will attribute the results to a few different reasons... 1) around Christmas i did have a number of long eating window days, at least 3 that were 12/12 fasting days... 2) even my normal fasting days are shifted away from the more common 4/20 or 5/19 to 6/18 or 8/16. not that i'm eating that much more, but spreading it out a bit more... and 3) i always thought that the closer i came to a healthy BMI, seeing one lb of fat is now a less % of my total weight, each lb loss would become more difficult to lose. it only makes sense.

but at least i continue to see positive results. ...or should that be negative? ... :)

View attachment 26949

i discovered an aspect of intermittent fasting that put me in an ambivalent state for most of the weekend. traveling to a place i hadn't been to in months, there were about 4-5 places i wanted to eat, but as much as i tried, i just could not justify eating when i wasn't feeling hungry.

but the weirdest part of the weekend was certainly one aspect of my leaner weight that i hadn't considered. when i bumped into people i hadn't seen in a while, expecting to hear at least some comment about my weight loss, most seemed to not even mention it until in one or two cases i brought it up as an aside and only then did i hear a compliment. this was until a pretty close friend offered the comment... well at least to paraphrase, she wondered if i was ok and i got the distinct feeling she was concerned that i may have had some medical condition which had led to the weight loss...

OMG !! ... i mean i find it sort of amusing now & i am in my 60's, but really?

I had a similar experience back in 2007 when I lost a lot of weight fast (now wish I hadn't). Most people either shrieked when they saw me (so embarrassing) or said nothing, thinking I had Cancer (apparently). My sister had died from Cancer only 2 years before, so I can understand their concern now, but found it amusing at the time. Personally, I think loudly commenting on someone's weight is really rude. Saying quietly that someone is looking really good on the other hand, is being kind & thoughtful.
We also should not be so shallow to think that someone is less valued or more, because of their current weight.
We do this for ourselves and our health & it does not matter what others do & say.
I came over to your diary to tell you that I am starting back on IF today & am giving 16:8 a go. Sorry if I went on a bit in your diary :blush5:

...I came over to your diary to tell you that I am starting back on IF today & am giving 16:8 a go. Sorry if I went on a bit in your diary :blush5:
no problem at all... glad to hear your story about a similar situation. i think i mostly compared the reaction of friends to another time in my 40's when i lost a similar amount of body percentage weight. i suppose at that age people are a lot less likely to relate a change like this to a terminal disease. i am also now figuring in the fact that i had a falling out with the person who cuts my hair recently which is now in a rather ragged state and in my reflection i can see where the word "gaunt" might come to mind with my general appearance ... maybe just a bit. :)

i'd like to thank you also for indirectly correcting my terminology. when i put 8/16 into a Google search, Google fills in "dieting", but when i put in 16/8, it comes back with "fasting". technically, though perhaps obvious in fact, i've been getting it backwards, though now i can see if you are talking about a fasting diet, it would make more sense to indicate the fasting time first.

but that said, i am slowly coming around to thinking that intermittent fasting should not really be considered a diet at all but a way you should live... aka: NORMAL. the "diet" everyone else is on should be the odd man out. three meals all day... the "bulk-up diet" plan... yeah, that's the ticket. :)

if you ever run into someone who claims that the BMI index does not apply to their height or weight or shape or that it works for men but not women (if they're a woman) or that it works for women but not men (if they are a man), ...let them know it is more than just about dieting....

View attachment 26969

i don't even want to think about the "where I was headed" arrow.

I don't see IF as a diet either. It is definitely a way of eating.
I love your graph. Well done!

i haven't tried on my ISO jumpsuit since i hit 192 10 weeks ago. now 18 lbs lighter, it is definitely not snug anywhere anymore. hate to rub it in to most of the rest of the country, but since it was such a nice sunny day, i stepped outside for a few snapshots. 15 Nov on the left, 30 Jan on the right...

View attachment 26975

so after trying to drink a gallon of water a day for only two days, it is a lot harder than i thought. i have to remember to drink every so often because, ... not that i'm surprised at it... i'm rarely thirsty after the first couple 20 oz jars in the morning. i did get up to about 100 oz and with other beverages it did top a gallon, but the goal was to drink more water and that's happening regardless.

another no surprise... i seem to be weighing a consistent +2 lbs than a few days ago. my body is definitely doing something with an extra two pints of water now constantly available. i've also considered that i'm naturally drinking a lot less coffee or tea and caffeine is a mild diuretic. i'll probably continue to quaff an extra pint now and then, but i'm not going to be a fanatic about it. i can't see any downside of drinking a bit more than enough water.

your body will quickly adapt to the increased water intake and stop holding on to it :)

Back