Floater's diary

Nera's gums have gotten inflamed. Called the vet, she'll write her a prescription I'll pick up with the assistance person at 4PM. I asked them if this is my fault for taking her on two long walks yesterday (she was very active and frisk last night) but they said it's not likely. Just bad luck. Poor her. Her snout looks like a Moomin's from the swelling... My heart hurts for her :(

Could just be because you had to stop the painkillers early. Something like ibuprofen reduces inflammation as well as pain.

Could just be because you had to stop the painkillers early. Something like ibuprofen reduces inflammation as well as pain.
Well, the vet wrote her an AB prescription (I had been instructed to call immediately if the area would swell or feel hot) and I visited two different pharmacies to get her the pills. Started her course just now, 1,5 pills twice a day for 5 days. Her ass is still leaking but she's brisk and attentive, and has a decent appetite.

PS something really ironic about having to stop the painkillers because of ass leak and then have to go on antibiotics which also causes ass leak

Oh shit, I just realized I haven't eaten anything today. did eat yesterday, chicken and rice, something else too but I'm too sleep deprived to remember. Pasta in the evening, papadums, probably something else too. I'm making chicken again, unseasoned for Nera and seasoned for me. I'll fry myself some of the yesterday's rice with onion, peas and a whisked egg. Need my protein to keep my strength up.

Yeah, pretty sure the body recognizes most meds as poison and tries to flush it out. I hope it all settles soon though! Glad to hear you remembered to eat, even if it was late in the day.

Yeah, pretty sure the body recognizes most meds as poison and tries to flush it out. I hope it all settles soon though!
The extra nuisance with antibiotics is that they also kill off natural gut flora, so the microscopic guys who usually toil hard to break down food in the intestine get mass murked and shat out. But: the smell of infection has already started to lessen. (I don't know about you but I definitely can smell inflammation, it's a hot, sandy, dry type of smell, and it was all over Nera's breath this morning. Now it's definitely getting fainter. Medicine is a miracle!)

True, of course, but that´s still better than the nastier kinds of bacterial infection.
Of course! I was just referring to the assleak in this case. Nera is in a relatively good mood. Swelling is still there, but she seems more comfortable. We had a long walk, no issues. I'll fix her a bowl of Turkish yogurt, chicken, and oil ^^

Yay! Nera really liked a mix of rolled oats, oil, sprinkle of salt, Turkish yogurt, and chicken breast! I'm hoping the oats will help with the diarrhea as they give volume to the stool :)

Yay! Woke up a bit before 5AM to brush my teeth (I had passed out without doing that because I've been so sleep deprived) and Nera had not had any accidents! Took her out: only pee, no diarhhea. Gave her her morning antibiotics and a little bit of canned food. Now back to sleep until 10AM, I have assistance come over at 11 and a Teams meeting with my social worker.

Maybe the antibiotics also killed whatever was wreaking havoc in Nera's gut? I'm so happy about getting some uninterrupted sleep 🥰

I just caught up with your diary. Poor Nera, poor you! Hopefully you’re through the worst :grouphug:
Thanks @Cate! Nera peed the bed while I was taking a shower, so she's not yet in full control of her body. But the antibiotics are working: her snout is still swollen, but no longer feels hot to the touch!

I'm so tired. Wanted to go to the supermarket to buy hummus, but ended up making my own. It was great mixed in with spaghetti, garlic, chili, and my last RAF tomato cubed.

Yay! Walked Nera, cleaned up, and made it to the supermarket - got some cheap chicken, eggs, fresh chilies, cheese, and bread. I have some veggies and fruit in the fridge that I need to use up ASAP, so I didn't buy any produce. Nera's stomach seems to have settled. The left side of her face is looking more or less normal, the right one is still a bit swollen, but she seems OK otherwise.

I plan to take her for a longer walk later at night when there are no skiers around and I can let her run around free without interrupting anyone. After that, I'll probably have some tomato egg drop soup with hummus sandwiches.

I'll make mashed poatoes tomorrow, it's been a while!

Yay! The vet called about Nera's bloodwork, everything is in order! I was instructed to buy her puppy food and mix that with her usual kibble, as it's higher in energy, to combat the age-related weight loss and possible later fragility. I'm just happy that it wasn't anything intestinal!

That´s wonderful to hear!
It is. I celebrated by bleaching my eyebrows at home. A very editorial look, I like it. I'll give Nera her evening antibiotics and meal in a minute, then take her for a nice walk, and just be happy about this time we still have 🥰

Back