Fiera's Diary

Also exhaysted now that I'm reducing my caffeine (Pepsi Max) consumption but at least I know why. Hope your tests come back with something simple and treatable.

I hope you do find your mojo soon Cate. You are always so kind to others, I hope that you will take time for yourself when you need it.

I am doing decently with my wake up call to a different life/lifestyle. I haven't had caffeine in about a week now. I drink ginger tea in the morning. I take my eye drops and cleanse my eyelids and take my meds/supps/creams and brush/floss/mouthwash/paste twice a day. I wear my night guard and I sleep in the bed most nights. Twice I have gone through the entire oral care routine at night only to break down and have an evening snack and have to start over. But a couple of times I have won that battle as well. Scale 169.5 this morning, but 171.4 before bed last night. Lots of water weight fluctuation right now. But I *am* going to keep momentum up because it feels good.

I am sadly losing my muscle tone from PT and I am a bit afraid to things requiring balance. I can do planks for sure though, and maybe some side steps/band work. We have a group dog walk this morning and are going to a festival later. I will have to be vigilant about food and drink. The one great thing about vertigo is that the nausea keeps your appetite down.

It is hard this morning to not have a little coffee since Proggy is here and I am brewing a pot. But. It is far harder to have to go to the doctor and take pills all the time so...

BP last evening finally went down to a more normal level for a couple of hours. I felt a lot more personal peace and relaxed when it was down. It felt like it jumped up again after I went to bed though for some reason and I just checked it now and it is elevated again. It is uncomfortable living like this so...motivation to live a healthy day!

Speaking as a PT: focus on the things you can do for now. With a bit of luck it might even give you a boost to do more again after a while but a bit is a lot better than nothing!

I hope you do find your mojo soon Cate. You are always so kind to others, I hope that you will take time for yourself when you need it.
Thank you, Fiera. That's sweet. I had a wonderful weekend & feel really refreshed & rejuvenated. The joys of live music can't be underestimated.

Sept already! The days are getting noticeably shorter, but still Ok atm. Mostly I am finding that KDog asks for her evening walkie sooner...we have established the habit since the heat and humidity did me in back in July(?). Soon we will be able to take comfortable midday walks. I still need the A/C on to sleep. But fall is coming as witnessed by some trees starting to turn, just perceptibly, in the park yesterday. If we don't get rain soon we are in for the crunchiest, dullest autumn leaves.

I have had a couple of slips on eating. Last night for example. I did the whole routine and that wasn't enough. I am not sure but I think I had enough calories earlier in the day. Dinner was at 5 and binge was around 9. Kind of disappointed in myself. I did have a sugary cinnamon square earlier, so maybe a sugar thing. I was happy that I took the rest of the squares and stuck them in the freezer. Today I need to throw them out as nothing good comes from sugary snacks.

My fridge is full of all kinds of veggie prompts, from corn and black beans to add to salad, to spinach and broiled celery and carrot sticks and baked sweet potato. Indeed, there are more veg getting consumed.

Calorie counting works for me. I can do it informally if I am not going to log things in the app. 1200IN and walking 3 miles a day would get me sorted over the long run. Cardio would be better and move the needle quicker. Was able to trot a bit with KDog yesterday. The vertigo is improving. I hope the doc was right about it being virus related and probably temporary.

Well I slept until 8 (after waking up quite a few times in the night) and it is 9, so I need to motor. Busy day, and Proggy coming up later for a rare midweek concert. Have call with guru doc tomorrow and need to get some notes organized for discussion with him.

Well done freezing the rest of those cinnamon squares and eating more veggies! I recently had a reason to freeze some grapes (which someone recommended to me ages ago) and omg they were so good straight from the freezer! Of course I don't know how well that would work if your teeth are sensitive.

I have had a couple of slips on eating. Last night for example. I did the whole routine and that wasn't enough. I am not sure but I think I had enough calories earlier in the day. Dinner was at 5 and binge was around 9. Kind of disappointed in myself. I did have a sugary cinnamon square earlier, so maybe a sugar thing. I was happy that I took the rest of the squares and stuck them in the freezer. Today I need to throw them out as nothing good comes from sugary snacks.
That's for sure!
I try steering myself to fresh fruit when I get a sugar craving & it usually works for me. I must try freezing grapes for summer.

I feel strangely satisfied today. Yesterday I took inventory of my situation and realized that I needed to move mountains to be able to commit to an opportunity this Friday which lights up my heart, and doesn't involve all this medical stuff, or being someone's shoulder to cry on, or anything else, Immediately after calling the leader, getting on the same page, and feeling secured that she still wants me involved and understands about the vertigo, I felt a lightening. It was as if I got my ship aligned with the exact compass heading which will take me to my destination. Since then, everything has been better. I have stood my ground and reset expectations with Proggy ("I need to know that you are hearing me and supporting me"). With S, I have explained that I am super busy.

We received a very hard rain today. I went down in the basement to get something out of the freezer and went sliding on the floor....the sewer had backed up through the floor drains. I got water in my recently repaired attic and also through the window in the dining room. I approach it all with calm detachment, knowing that getting stressed out would not help me reach my goal of participating Friday - in fact quite the opposite.

I spent about 12 hours cleaning, laundering and bleaching so far, as unfortunately I had some things on the floor which got wet. I am pleased that I had improved stamina today. My blood pressure has been getting better, I am eating less, and the scale is reflecting it. Even better, my BODY is reflecting it, I can turn easier, my clothes are a bit looser, my legs cross more readily,

I really think that something among the 5 supplements we stopped as of Thursday afternoon is also at play. Those were: NAC, Inositol, Berberine, Calcium, and Iron (that was only monthly). I don't have time to look them up but the Calcium is a likely suspect.

KDog didn't get walked today, so I need to make that happen tomorrow. Setting a 6A alarm though so I can get back to work down there before the next rain band hits, SB is doing the same thing....she has been at it all day as well, and getting up early to continue. It is a lot of work and her hubby was heading out of town for his new job.

I also was thinking how lucky I am when so many people have lost everything in flooding.

Thanks Universe for the moment of (relative) clarity in which I realized I had a ticket to ride, and reminding me to USE it.

Riley is back from IE and she seems re-invigorated.

Last edited:
This morning is Round 2 of the decontamination. I say morning because I would like to be done with this and still have my afternoon free.

I just came by to say that my "official" Monday morning weigh in came in at 168.2. It occurred to me that some of this loss is muscle disappearing since I haven't been to PT. But some of it is legit. I am sitting in a comfortable position on the couch I would not have been able to even hold for a minute. Yayyyyy something is going very very right. Maybe it's even just a loss of inflammation because I am eating better?

You would not have gained a lot of measurable muscle mass in the weeks you went to PT so I don't think you're losing much now. Inflammation going down would be great though!

I have just about lost it with the basement. Yesterday was round 3. I took today off. I am not sure when I am going to tackle it again. There is still a faint odor when you open the door to the basement. Once you go downstairs you can't notice it. It could be that it just needs some bowls of vinegar. Not sure. I had the sewer main line and sink line rodded yesterday just to be sure. All the floor drains have had buckets of bleach water poured into them. Thanks for listening. It sure has been a longer process than I had guessed.

Today was ok. I had a short walk with SB this morning. No S, no Dad, no Proggy on phone. It feels more peaceful. Plus time for self care. Took KDog to vet for checkup and pre-dental blood work. I have to decide whether to remove a growth on her eyelid at same time. It is relatively small and slow growing but if it starts to bother her I would have to do anesthesia and bloodwork again ($$$ and risk) to have the procedure done. On the other hand, it might never grow big enough to bother her given her age. I will may get a 2nd opinion or at least ask around.

I was very fuzzy headed all afternoon. Very. Muddy. Why? I slept pretty decent and I was all right when I woke up. I felt a bit muddy by the time I walked with SB, and it felt like a bit of vertigo, but I had not taken my BP. No breakfast. Lack of carbs? But I had snacked late last night, was it something I ate yesterday? I finally thought to check and pollen counts are up AND I had the windows open this morning and took a walk with SB. Maybe it is garden variety allergies. I did have a bit of fuzzy face feeling.

I read a reminder about washing your face etc and so I went and took a shower and thoroughly washed my glasses. I think it helped some but I will take an antihistamine too.

SB texted a while ago and was, I think wanting to talk. I said I can't. I really do have so much to do and being muddled all day today did not help. I still have to work on shopping list for Friday's volunteer thingy with the dogs. It was hard for me to not sign up for both AM and PM shifts but I did it because I am feeling depleted and as I said a bit of vertigo/dizziness earlier. I have to say though, my BP is looking and feeling much better when I detached with love from all the people I usually am trying to support.

My dad butt dialed me at 6:25AM this morning. Of course I though it must be an emergency and bolted awake, only to hear him saying to his dog "Who's a Good Boy? Are you going to be a Good Boy?" :ROFLMAO::banghead:

Of course now I am short on sleep on an important day. But. Couple of things.
A. If I treat this volunteering opportunity as a Wedding Day type of event, I will surely turn into Bridezilla. Just have fun.
B. The Universe does me favors sometimes without me knowing it; like
C. Getting a little extra time to wake up, ginger tea, KDog, breakfast, plan my day before I head out,

The emails are flying and the crew are excited about today. ❤

OK time to make myself breakfast and pack something to eat later for lunch while we are at the event.

Thanks LaMa! Volunteering with the pups was so much fun. Saturday was good too; Proggy's longtime friends T&J came up, we went to an Irish themed event, then off to an outdoor bar not so far from here, where we could sit by the firepit outside, still hear the band playing inside, and have easier time talking. I stuck to my bedtime. They stayed over so I did lay in some extra supplies, and made breakfast sandwiches this morning, Then I went to the fundraiser. My favorite part of the entire weekend was that I did all this stuff and kept a managed pace, and never got overly tired. And...,my blood pressure has continued to drop. Overall this is a very positive trend.

Well I went binging yesterday evening. I suspect that the food served at the fundraiser (courses of tapas) was way too sweet - the last main was bacon wrapped dates and the dessert was some kind of caramelized banana. To admit the details of my binge, in no particular order:
1/2 bag of baked cheesy doodles
1/2 dark choc bar and a large scoop of peanut butter
homemade irish scone

So yeah. Today my bp is up a bit, and it was a nice day / day off so it's not stress, I don't think. I have inflammation in my knees and my left elbow.

I also had bbq chips today and some hummus, though I course corrected and put the hummus away before I went crazy with it (inflammatory). Dinner was a more attentive decision to make kale apple salad with some carne asada.

I fell into a bad habit today. I was unexpectedly at the car dealer getting my failed blower motor diagnosed and fixed. I hadn't expected to be there so long, and had not had any breakfast (due to last night's binge). I turned down the vending machine offerings and had an epiphany that I could get a roast beef sub delivered to me there to share with KDog. The sub itself would have been fine but I ordered the bbq chips to go with it. And these are big bags. I nearly got a cookie too. Darn it. Why is it so hard sometimes to think about the consequences? I realize I was reaching for what was easy and would be comforting and familiar - and even THAT would have been Ok if I would just have eaten 1/2 bag. I knew it and ignored it,

Well...getting back on the wagon. I do better when I track things in an app, and that is what I did today after lunch. 1295IN. Doc is back from vacation now. I have bloodwork in the morning followed by an opthamology appointment. I have doc appointments every day the rest of the week and an MRI Sat. Am still trying to hold time open for a potential trip to see my friend in Ireland in late October. I just don't know about driving. Holy cow, can you imagine getting vertigo try to drive among the hedgerows? Am glad I just thought of that...

Back