Do you prefer to workout at home or gym?

Home Gym

Home gym is the only way I will workout. I'm not there to chat with anyone or weight for machines to be free, Got my home gym and happily use it everyday.

It's the only awy to go...undisturbed.....

Spectrum runs about $75 per month, and they too have different plans based on age, military service, if you play racquetball or not, etc.

At that price, they expect and figure it's not the gym for everyone...accordingly they feel they have less members and things are less crowded. They're also responsible for providing a more up-scale environment; nicer/newer equipment, sauna, jacuzzi, indoor Olympic pool, more classes, etc. Is it worth it? Do they deliver? I dunno...but it's the only place around here that has racquetball and so there I am. I also love the Thousand Oaks Spectrum...the indoor Olympic pool is like a 5-star hotel; huge skylight, nice tile, very bright & clean, no kids in the pool, almost always a full lane available. They literally run a day-spa in that place.

From what I understand, a new placed called Equinox is opening...and it's said to be even more "exclusive". If you're a trainer, you may wanna check it out. $$$$$ employment opportunity?

I am very happy and comfortable with paying $29 a month! Standard "Olympic" size is 25 Meters, and 24 Hour Fitness meets the standard. IMO, They really do offer all those great features the "up-scale" clubs offer at a more reasonable price.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what size is "Olympic" size, but the pools are big enough in my eyes!

They're INDOOR Olympic size, 25-meters. You can't be 24-hour for price, value & convienence! :)

Btw, Equinox is $135 per month, they say the setting is like a bar and they only hire attractive trainers AND tell them openly if they fall off the weight-chart, they get dinged/warned and then fired! Pay isn't too good and they make you go through some silly programs. My own trainer worked there for a while, said it was horrible...she's back at Spectrum.

The fact that 24 Hour Fitness offers quality/clean gyms, convenient locations, and reasonable membership dues, is enough to keep me on board. I don't feel the need to join a gym that is 4 times the amount I am paying now, simply because they have so called "attractive" trainers!! :p

Totally agree!!!!!!

Again, I've got an extra bike and all the goodies.....you let me know when you want some great bike-cardio, the hills are all green and it's absolutely amazing/awesome out there!!!!!

...course, if you're chicken, I'll understand ;)

Totally agree!!!!!!

Again, I've got an extra bike and all the goodies.....you let me know when you want some great bike-cardio, the hills are all green and it's absolutely amazing/awesome out there!!!!!

...course, if you're chicken, I'll understand ;)

Getting out doors can be nice on occasion, especially when it gets warmer. Everything is better when it gets warmer...like centralized air!! :p If gyms didn't have central air...I think we would just collapse on the spot. :drooling1:

Right now, with Spring, the hills are green, filled with butterflies, rabbits and nature....hard to beat that inside a gym!

Yesterday they turned-off the air-system to change the filters during spin-class: the mirrors all got fogged-up and I swear I felt like I was going to pass-out! So much better being outside....

Like I said (twice now), let me know if you wanna try it. We have a small group and a couple gals ride with us too; it's just exercise :D

Right now, with Spring, the hills are green, filled with butterflies, rabbits and nature....hard to beat that inside a gym!

Yesterday they turned-off the air-system to change the filters during spin-class: the mirrors all got fogged-up and I swear I felt like I was going to pass-out! So much better being outside....

Like I said (twice now), let me know if you wanna try it. We have a small group and a couple gals ride with us too; it's just exercise :D

When are they gonna have a nature simulated bike ride in the gym with moving back ground, sounds, and smells of the outdoors. I'mma just throw a year out there 2025...:p Wow...no air, you must have been dying! I bet you were like..."change the filters during NON business hours!"

When are they gonna have a nature simulated bike ride in the gym with moving back ground, sounds, and smells of the outdoors.

Funny you should say that....I was honestly thinking the same thing!! Wouldn't it be great to have a large-screen in front of everyone, bikes that automatically adjust the degree of difficultly to account for hills and some kind of pitch control to lift the front up & down. There could be a master difficulty level so people of different levels can customize their ride, but still...that would be awesome!

They could take actual footage from various places around the world. Imagine whizzing through the streets of Versaille narrowly avoiding some breadmaker who beckons with the threat of slamming you with his french roll....or avoiding terrorist fire in Iraq.

Just imagine, heavier wind (from fans) on the downhills, maybe a few jilts over a rut or log, perhaps the occassional hiker coming in the other direction who obviously has a ridiculously over-sized boob-job just about to burst out of her sports-bra like the waters of Niagra flowing in their regal glory!

I like the way you think Tiny-D!! :D

Thats okay, thats exactly why it is a fitness center and not a gym.
A GYM is a place where who want to lift weights go, a place not filled with countless cardio machines, a place where they don't have a rule against deadlifting or doing olympic lifts, a place where they have more than one power rack, and a real gym have people who actually train and not just do countless curl exercises.

A REAL gym is a place where people train, not sit and talk.
Not the same as a commercial fitness center like Bally's, LA fitness, 24 hour, etc.

This is why i love my dirty, cold garage.

Wow! Elitist much?

Although I will say, it irritates the living crap out of me if I get stuck running on a treadmill or am lifting and someone is in there with a friend yapping up a storm. I use the gym for swimming, and in the off season for lifting. I prefer the free weight room because there are a couple of women who hit the machines gossiping about everyone under the sun. Since I hit the Y at 5 a.m. (no teenage girls ogling chicken chested boys while they lift, no children, and usually it's very quiet) I just want to quietly do my thing. When someone comes in yapping so loud I can hear them over my ear buds crammed into my ears, that's just plain rude. Plus, I don't really CARE that Susan got new countertops because her husband cheated on her and was trying to make up for it...and I'm relatively sure Susan didn't want that to be public knowledge. I refer to them as the "chickens" 'cause it's "cluck cluck gossip gossip" while they lift 5 lbs at a time and sit on the machines.

I prefer outside any time I can. I run outside in any weather except thunderstorms. I cycle in almost any weather except ice. If I had the land for a pool, I'd splurge and do that. I plan to set up a home gym in my basement this summer and just go for swimming in the lake, then at the rec center near work once school starts up again and leaving the Y behind. Great program, but as a couple with no children I resent I have to pay the same monthly as the family of six.

I have a home gym and a membership to Spectrum.

This may sound weird, but recently I added mirrors in my home gym. It's nice!!! The room seemed to double in size and got brighter....but there are two other benefits that I really like:

I don't think that's strange at all. It's important to observe your form when you lift. When I was setting up a workout program for my husband, I took him into the weight room and insisted he observe his form and match it to mine to maintain proper alignment and get the most out of each lift.

btw, wrt " it's not vanity " - if that's the case, then when would checking yourself out in the mirror by flexing and admiring yourself out in the mirror be considered a reflection ( excuse the pun ) of vanity ?

You are SO right. It's not vanity to be proud of hard work. You work hard for your muscles. It's not like you're looking in the mirror, licking your finger, placing it on your ass and saying "Tssssss! I am HOT!" or taking credit for great hair or blue eyes, which are the result of genetics.

I know I work my ass off for my body. I'm not proud of my size, but when I see muscles popping on my leg from cycling and running, or I notice a bicep in a shot, or heck...I love my avatar. Do you know how LONG I worked to be this size? (I used to weigh over 220 lbs). I am PROUD of that. Not one thing wrong with it. It's not like I woke up one day looking this day and think I'm better than others. I woke up one day sick of not looking this way, and now I bike, swim, run, and lift my way to good health. I'll be damned if I'm not going to stop every now and again and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I was almost shocked....I truly thought my form as great until I looked in the mirrors and realized otherwise!

I like the mirrors, not for vanity but for self-coaching & assessment...it's accountibility for form, progress and everything!

I enjoy running outside at home but sometimes it is modivation to work-out around other people! Seeing others exercising, sweating and generally being healthy is modivating.

In Home Fitness Training

I’ve been working out for years and I have always preferred to workout at home for a lot of reasons: 1.) I learned early in the game that I could get more accomplished at home because I could set my weights up the way I wanted them, which means I spent less time transitioning from one exercise to the other which resulted in me getting more done in less time, 2.) I also got more done because there were less distractions like gorgeous women and people coming up to me wanting to talk, 3.) another reason I like working out at home is because I avoided the exposure to the numerous germs floating around in public gyms and lastly, 4.) there is no commute time which also saves me time.

As you can probably tell, my time is very important to me. However, I think that time is important to most adults and the lack of time is probably the number one reason people give for not working out. This is why I designed a fitness program to address this challenge. First I offered my programs as a certified fitness trainer (with the NCSF) to my clients by going to their homes. However, after doing this for two years and seeing remarkable results in my clients, I’m now offering my programs to the world at L.A. Online Fitness (laonlinefitness.com).

I've done a complete 180 on this since I last weighed in.

I now infinitely prefer the gym. But, only a good gym with lots of free weights, racks, benches and such. When there aren't too many other humans around, that is. They annoy me and get in my way. Also, they smell.

I prefer my home gym: This way, I can pass gas, annoy my own smelly and sweaty sassy @ss, and still gain mass, atleast with some class, so I don't have to break-out the can of whoop-ass on another person whom may harass when I pass my gas.

I love my home gym. I still hear the weights crying from last nights training session aggression. I gave such an impression I am hearing their whimpering expression. But, I have a confession, they know this is my health profession, there will be no regression nor their crying causing oppression, because of my Rock-On possession.

Therefore, my weights in my home gym will have many crying sessions.

Any questions?

;)

Best wishes

Chillen

If I was Richie Rich then I would've loved to be working out at home with a personal trainer and some models to make the environment. But in my position now, the best bet for me is the gym, I can find all the equipments plus help if I need it!

Back