COVID-19 vaccination club

Go Margaret!! It's important!

We will happily travel 90+ miles each way to get the first jab earlier...
My husband has already been in hospital once this year (not covid) and we were panicked enough about his safety .
He double masked while he was there and I could not visit him.
We just want the protection that the jab brings as soon as ever possible.

right now i'm only musing about having a beer. a week after my 2nd shot (still 3 days away) i hope to get up to Riverside to work on my steam locomotive i haven't seen in a year. there is a bar up there that serves food and has a large outside gathering/ seating area. chances are good i'll give that a try. on the road i'd have to eat somewhere. i'm usually there in the afternoon and it was never crowded even pre-pandemic. when i get up there i'll probably do a quick drive-by around the area to see what has survived.

I'm in the last group to get the vax, being in my early thirties and physically healthy and currently outside the workforce. I'm looking forward to it, but then again, I can do my part by self isolating, wearing a mask and practicing good hand hygiene, so the physically vulnerable can get their shots first.

i just looked at the California "Phase" system. we're still on Phase 1B which will end after 65+ and essential workers (police, fire, etc) demand lessens. i fear when CA opens up Phase 1C it's going to be a madhouse. all i had to do was show i was 65+... the next phase is from age 16+ and you have to show proof of some health condition. i can see two problems... people afraid to admit their health condition and won't get the shot or worse... people who try to fake a health condition (eg: bone spurs... though that one is fairly outdated). i don't even want to talk about the non-trivial percent who are convinced this is a government ploy to inject the general population with micro-chip GPS tracking devices.

2nd dose in the books...!
the line from the vaccinator was that i might feel some flu symptoms on top of the soreness, but so far not even as much soreness as the first shot and no other symptoms i can feel at the moment. biggest question... now what?

IMG_3877.jpg

so 24 hours now... no symptoms or aches of a flu. arm pain is a little different this time. first shot was sore, but not tender to the touch. today it is just the opposite. no pain of any sort but if i press on the injection site, it is tender. i am glad i got this 2nd shot in my right shoulder as i tend to sleep on my left side. if you haven't gotten a shot yet, i would give that more consideration than if you are right or left handed.

the results of my mini-poll ... of the 4 people who chimed in when i was chatting with store owners and checkout persons today... 2 experienced the same as me, only a sore arm... 2 got flu symptoms, one said it was more than light but less than severe, but only had those symptoms for a day with both. judgement call... the flu reaction, not very common or not very uncommon...? either seems to work.

Neither of my parents had more than a sore arm. A nurse I know had flu like symptoms for a day or two. A veterinarian I know developed chronic fatigue syndrome which may or may not be unreleated (there is some weak evidence than certain other vaccines can trigger the onset of cfs, but the studies are not very high quality).

We both had our Astra Zeneca jabs yesterday and we even got given a cute sticker each :)

It was very quick and efficient and everyone was very friendly.
Neither of us felt the jab itself or any pain on our arms afterwards.
We got caught in torrential rain a week ago and have had normal cold symptoms since (aches and sniffles) and they might be a little worse.
We have been taking paracetamol for a few days now and are definitely keeping it up - but it is hard to tell whether you can really blame the jab for much of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_0001.jpg
    IMG_20210313_0001.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 4
a few hours short of 4 days since my 2nd shot and no soreness, no stiffness, no tenderness remains. eight more days until the first day of spring. close enough to the 14 days after effects to fully kick in. i am hearing more and more about the vaccine resistance movement and conspiracy theories. that bothers me.

18 hours after the shot... can feel a soreness around the injection site. probably should have thought it through a little more. with arthritis mostly in my right shoulder, i tend to sleep on my left side, but being right handed, i chose to have the shot in my left arm. just before i fell asleep i could feel the soreness growing. next shot i'll probably choose my right arm. on a scale of 10, the pain is only about a 2 or 3. if i could relate it to anything, it feels like someone may have given my arm a solid punch. visually, there is nothing i can see... no bruising at all.
Didn't really feel much at first, but like you about 10 hours later my arm started to feel a little sore at the injection site. Not bad, just a bit stiff/sore - reminiscent of getting punched in the arm in junior high only without the visible bruise.

i fear when CA opens up Phase 1C it's going to be a madhouse. all i had to do was show i was 65+... the next phase is from age 16+ and you have to show proof of some health condition. i can see two problems... people afraid to admit their health condition and won't get the shot or worse... people who try to fake a health condition (eg: bone spurs... though that one is fairly outdated).

So my county had BMI >35 in 1c, but a neighboring county had their BMI at 40 and yet another nearby county (one with very low covid/mask compliance) allowed anyone who has avoided medical treatment due to covid. My BMI is just over 35 when loaded down with shoes, long pants, wallet, keys, etc, though I did feel just a tinge of guilt knowing I'm no longer obese when judged by body fat (but I rationalized it by saying to myself the mortality rates were correlated against bmi and not body fat).

Last edited:
My BMI is just over 35 when loaded down with shoes, long pants, wallet, keys, etc, though I did feel just a tinge of guilt knowing I'm no longer obese when judged by body fat (but I rationalized it by saying to myself the mortality rates were correlated against bmi and not body fat).

Feel no guilt. They set their category based on BMI so that is what they want you to use. Hospitals / doctor's offices never weigh people naked. Most of the time they don't care whether you keep your shoes / jumpers etc on or not.

Sorry you got a sore arm. I never got a sore arm. Retrospectively - no ill effects at all really. We still have cold like we did all last week... Can't blame the jab for that.

I think it's to ensure we have enough for everyone to get the first dose as the EU blocked the shipment of the vax to Australia.

I think it's to ensure we have enough for everyone to get the first dose
That makes good sense, but why would the EU block your shipments?

Back