COVID-19 vaccination club

the MRNA vaccines work so differently, i don't think they can generate a positive test. i believe their function is to interfere with the virus "hooks" so it can't easily attach to other tissues unlike conventional vaccines that generate antibodies to interfere with the viral replication.

so about a week ago i thought i signed up to get both email and text messages when the tier 2 (65+) group will be eligible. yesterday i decided to look around some more. as an aside... the county COVID-19 web site must have been left to HS dropouts to create. it is the most complicated, uninformative site i can imagine and often the links to get anywhere turn you in a complete circle and you wind up at the page you started with over and over again.

anyway, i discovered sites opening up around the city and found a place i could actually make a reservation. February 18th...! ok, so i start putting in all the information, but by the time i got to click on MAKE THE APPOINTMENT button, that date was already gone. back to the beginning, i skipped ahead a few slots and beat the crowd to the next day in the afternoon.

soooooooooooo... Feb 19th... three weeks from then, March 12th should be my 2nd shot and by March 19th i should be as protected as possible. pretty much what i thought the timeline would be, but let's see how it goes from here. i should note... i have yet to receive either an email message nor a text message regarding the ability to make a vaccination appointment.

Last edited:
Its great that you have an appointment.

In the UK the gap has been moved to 12 weeks between first jab and second so that as many people as possible can get first jab protection.

We are still waiting. I'll be pleased when my husband gets vaccinated because of his complex health history.

There is a major political argument going on with the EU countries. The EU were really late in setting up vaccination plants and signing contracts (three months behind the UK) so they can't understand why their new plants are suffering the teething problems that we had months ago and have recently ironed out.

Our astra zeneca plants are at home and they are producing the vast majority of the vaccine we use. The pfizer plants are in Belgium so the people that got vaccinated with pfizer in December (before astra zeneca got approved) will probably have to start again as the EU is threatening to cut off pfizer supplies unless we export astra zeneca to make up for the Belgian astra zeneca plant problems.

Health care from the people who brought you the DMV...

I had to make a zillion calls to get vaccines for my parents (72 & 67). They'd still be waiting if we relied on California's "my turn" website notification system to schedule an appointment at the fairground mass vaccination site (69 y/o aunt finally has an appointment - for March). Ultimately we ended up seeing a new provider (UC Davis) in a different county via telehealth to qualify for a vaccine from their network. The vaccine was free, but the "wellness visits" were out of Kaiser's insurance network so they were out of pocket. Kaiser is still only doing healthcare workers right now.

Some of their neighbors have flown to various snowbird states to get vaccines faster.

i haven't heard anything from Kaiser aside from "wear a mask" stuff. interesting that when making the appointment they wanted to know my health insurance information, though the shots ANYWHERE should be free. you have to watch for the "*" lines meaning "required" information. insurance, SSN, ... seems like they always want to get all the information you're willing to give them, but you don't have to.

two days in a row... first time there have been less than 1000 new positive tests in the county since mid-November. at its worst, there were days that recorded well over 4000 new cases. probably way too early to credit the vaccine. i think it's just the holiday spike that is calming levels down again. trouble is... whenever the level seems to decrease, it is always at a level higher than the pre-spike data. two weeks before i get stabbed.

coronagraph..02.04.21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife got her vaccine yesterday, as a social worker she qualifies for an early shot. I went with her and asked if I could get one too, at first they said yes, but then did some figuring and were worried about having enough doses for the day so turned me down. Another day and I might have gotten it.

I am scheduled to get it mine the 24th of the month, will see if that works out. They say you have to be 70 years old, which I am not, but the system scheduled me anyway. And I was honest about my age.

oh well... so much for that dip in positive cases... average last two days has been ~1300. still... everyone in our local community has been wearing masks inside and it's relatively easy to give people outside the stores a wide berth. my zip code continues to be one of the lowest in the county. i'm still stunned when i see other states (hello Florida) where you can watch people on web cams act as if it's a normal day 2 years ago. nobody is wearing a mask or social distancing. makes me mad. a virus will only mutate when there is enough of it around. i wouldn't be surprised if every mutation of COVID-19 started in the U.S. ...after all, hardly any genetic sequencing is done here. historically i believe this will always be known as the Trump Virus. given his little brain and massive ego, he'll probably think it's a tribute... well, it sorta will be.

13 days until i get shot.

Came close on Friday I got an email from the Health Department saying they had an open spot if I could get there right away. By the time I read the email it was too late... Guess I will start watching my email more closely.

I am on the calendar to get a shot on the 24th, if not earlier hopefully that will work out. I know its getting close now.

Flyer let us know when you get yours.

If I lose no more than 1 lb, I can get my first shot on March 16 qualifying as someone with a "preexisting condition" (obesity: bmi > 35). Or maybe I just need to eat lots of salt, drink tons of water, wear boots & overalls with loaded pockets, etc...

re: Covid: Man offered vaccine after error lists him as 6.2cm tall ... too funny..!

so the clock starts for me...
IMG_3796.JPG

i got the Pfizer vaccine, so three weeks and i get a 2nd shot.
so far, not much of a reaction at all.
i don't know if my arm is really a little sore, or if it's because so many people an hour ago told me my arm might be sore ... :)

i'll post an update tomorrow.

According to Scishow most people don't have much of a reaction to the first dose. The second one, when your body is already starting to recognize the injected material as "wrong" may be a little worse. I hope I'll get my shots soon as well!

Margaret- very funny story!
Flyer- A few hours after my flu jab each year my arm aches. Glad you have had your first vaccine. I think it will be a long time before I get one.

18 hours after the shot... can feel a soreness around the injection site. probably should have thought it through a little more. with arthritis mostly in my right shoulder, i tend to sleep on my left side, but being right handed, i chose to have the shot in my left arm. just before i fell asleep i could feel the soreness growing. next shot i'll probably choose my right arm. on a scale of 10, the pain is only about a 2 or 3. if i could relate it to anything, it feels like someone may have given my arm a solid punch. visually, there is nothing i can see... no bruising at all.

with arthritis mostly in my right shoulder, i tend to sleep on my left side, but being right handed, i chose to have the shot in my left arm

I'm so pleased that you have been jabbed and protected - but you raise a really good point about choosing the best arm. A couple of my friends experienced a bit of soreness after their flu jabs in autumn. I hope that the soreness eases soon x

I think I’ll go with my right arm for the same reason. Most likely I’ll be getting a flu jab before the covid one though.

Back