COVID-19 vaccination club

overlandflyer

not a member... yet. in the 65+ group so in California, i fit into Phase 1C.

1A... healthcare workers and logistical/ plant employees in the COVID areas.
1B... 1st responders.... Police, Fire, etc.
1C... age 65+

if/ when you get the vaccination, what was your experience?

one plea... please, please, please, no anti-vaccination talk.
if you are against it, that's fine, just keep it to yourself.

I'm in the UK and I don't get mine until May/June due to age. Long time to keep safe but I enjoy my own company so staying in doesn't bother me.

I'd get the Moderna vaccine, but not the Pfizer because I live in a rural area where power is routinely cut and healthcare service providers are too often 2nd and 3rd rate (i.e. I would not count on getting two properly handled doses of the delicate Pfizer vaccine).

I'm anxiously awaiting my mother getting the vaccine.

She is 98 years old so she ought to be vaccinated fairly soon - based on the announcements I've heard regarding plans for England.

I contacted her GP to find out the process and was told that she should hear from the government. They have no information whatsoever...

Naturally I'm concerned as will have to make sure she is not missed out.

I'm pretty sure that my husband will get called before me due to his complex medical history.

I'll be first in line to get it, when I can. According to the Utah Health Dept that will probably be in March, hope I can avoid the virus until then.

I'm anxiously awaiting my mother getting the vaccine.

She is 98 years old so she ought to be vaccinated fairly soon ....

i should modify the 1B group... not only 1st responders, but this group will also include senior seniors (75+)... essentially the nursing home-type group.

This is the list of the English priorities - as issued by the government.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

We finally see who over 80 is being contacted.

Today's TV news has just said that the long queue along motorways of foreign drivers waiting to leave the country (as almost all flights and crossings have been blocked (either due to the new strain of virus or Brexit) will need to be vaccinated before they are allowed to travel by the foreign governments.

I really don't mind the idea of them being tested for the virus - but would severely be upset if these foreigners jumped the queue ahead of our own vulnerable

well it seems that 2020 will end on yet another failure for Trump. the latest failed promise... 20 million Americans will be vaccinated before the end of the year. with one day left, less than 3 million have been vaccinated and the report from state after state is that the vaccination has no consistent plan. 50 different states have put forth 50 different plans to vaccinate and nobody seems to be getting it right. Florida is a cluster f*** with seniors sleeping outside clinics overnight ... Arizona apparently cannot find enough people qualified to administer the shots ... reports from other states include the vaccine having to be thrown out because of mishandling the temperature sensitive medication.

with months of time wasted, there is no federal plan for mass vaccinations.
once again America is at the bottom of the list in competent government leadership.

... while Do-nothing Donnie Trump continues to rack up the rounds of golf and bitches day after day about a fraudulent election with no evidence to substantiate his claims and while 3000 Americans will die today and every day left in his pathetic administration.

Over in England - there is still no word on when my 98 year old mother will qualify for a vaccination.

We are in tier 4 lockdown (only essential shops open) and the majority of new cases are of a new version which is 70% more catching than the feeble old version that has dominated 2020 with death and doom.

My mother had her vaccination on Wednesday. It was the astro zeneca vaccine.

We were so lucky as that was the only day this week when there was no snow - especially since the queues were so long - both inside the building and outside.
My mother was in a wheelchair and very well wrapped up.
A friend is taking his father to the same place so I warned him and he is borrowing a wheelchair. 1.5 to 2 hours is a long time for the elderly to stand queueing.

It is now Saturday and she has not complained about any side effects.

Interestingly - before giving the vaccine I was asked whether she had had any injections in the previous week (she hadn't) and whether she was on any form of blood thinners... She isn't.

Thinking back, I am particularly curious about what the blood thinners question was all about as my husband is on warfarin for life - having had pulmonary embolisms. We will have to wait and see how that impacts things...

16.4% - # of Americans the Trump administration said would be vaccinated by the end of 2020... 22 days ago.

4.5% (14.8 million) - # of Americans who have received one vaccine dose.
0.6% (2.00 million) - # of Americans who have been fully vaccinated.

55% - # of Americans who have no idea when they will be able to get vaccinated.
60% - # of Americans who have no idea where they will be able to get vaccinated.

i sure hope your country is doing better.
apparently the U.S. plan just started to be formulated yesterday.

I signed up yesterday, have a vaccination appointment February 24 for the first shot.

According to the website they are only doing people over 70 and healthcare/responders but I was honest about my employment and birth date - the system still took me and gave me an appointment. Maybe by then the age will be lower. Hope it works out.

My wife got a Feb 4 appointment, but she is a social worker and apparently that qualifies as a healthcare professional in Utah.

Hope we get our vaccinations before we get the virus...

The UK vaccination strategy is as follows

Vaccines are being given to the most vulnerable first. A list of nine high priority groups which covers about 32 million people - including 90-99% of those most at risk of dying - is being followed:
  1. Residents in care homes for older adults and their carers
  2. 80-year-olds and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. 75-year-olds and over
  4. 70-year-olds and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
  5. 65-year-olds and over
  6. 16- to 64-year-olds with serious underlying health conditions
  7. 60-year-olds and over
  8. 55-year-olds and over
  9. 50-year-olds and over
My husband and I are in group 6.

I think that it is going to be quite a while before we are contacted.

UK policy is to leave a gap of 12 weeks between the first vaccination and the second so that as many as possible can have some protection.

Officially they are still working on category 1 and 2 with some talk of maybe doing some of category 3 - but it seems that some areas are a long way ahead of others. My husband has just told me that our city is getting half the expected delivery of vaccine next week because of shortages.

One of the issues is that the country is not even. Where I live - we have been in one form of lockdown or another since the start of November. A lot of places were allowed a lot of freedom in December - but our cases were higher than theirs so they kept us locked down.

The places that were open in December got hit by a new variant which has given them a bigger problem than we have. We are moving ahead with the vaccination - but I think that the focus in London (for instance) is in dealing with the sick. A news report from earlier this week was saying that at one of the big London hospitals which is something like 12 floors high - currently about 9 floors is full of people with the virus. When you think in terms of that level of impact - it isn't a surprise when the numbers of people getting vaccinated there is really low.

i did find a website where you can at least get email or text when your number comes up. frankly i'm not putting a lot of stock in that, but i've got to start playing the game somewhere. my biggest hope is that at least the gap between vaccine being distributed to states and the number going into arms starts shrinking. last i heard more than 50% of the vaccine that has been distributed is still sitting on shelves.

I´m on the waiting list through work. No idea when I´ll actually get vaccinated yet though. We´re not in a hospital or nursing home and our patients aren´t super high-risk so it´ll likely take a while. Which is fine: we´ve got all the ppe we could ever want and the weather is mild enough to air the place out to our hearts´ content.

We don't actually have any vaccines available yet in Aus, but I will have one as soon as I can.

well the Biden plan is to get 100 million people vaccinated in 100 days but 100 days is still over 3 months. what concerns me most when i hear people saying we could increase that target, it would take the vaccine actually being available. if the gap closes all the way, the bottleneck would be availability rather than just the ability do actually administer more than 1M/ day.

i guess i could report that the one person i know who lives in assisted living got her first shot about two weeks ago, but then a week later she tested positive for COVID-19 with no symptoms. i just texted her today and she still has no symptoms but a second test is still a few days away. if we ever get back to normal, i'm betting the definition of normal will be different.

i guess i could report that the one person i know who lives in assisted living got her first shot about two weeks ago, but then a week later she tested positive for COVID-19 with no symptoms. i just texted her today and she still has no symptoms but a second test is still a few days away. if we ever get back to normal, i'm betting the definition of normal will be different.
It seems possible (to my non-expert self) that just getting the vaccine could lead to a positive test. Are the antibodies the vaccine injects or stimulates what the test looks for?

Back