Covid-19 ... coronavirus ... thoughts?

CNN, AP: "The US topped 5 million cases of coronavirus early Sunday -- and as experts have highlighted before, the true number of infections could be many times higher. The number means the <U.S.> holds about a quarter of global cases of the virus and also tops the list with the most reported deaths in the world. Of the country's 5,036,387 estimated cases, 162,851 have been deadly, according to data collected by John Hopkins University."

"...analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 107,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 1.1%. And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average."

thank you radical right wing media and redumblican "leaders" for spreading vaccine and medical science misinformation. YOU ALONE are slowing the recovery of this country... sound like a familiar phrase?

my error... those states make up 40% of the entire U.S. cases. pretty much the same story of horrible Redumblican governing.

This forum is not the place for political conflict, even here in off topic, we all have a range of political views and are from a wide variety of countries,

While referencing political parties is borderline, doing it in a derogatory way is crossing that line.

:iagree: with Tru. I think this forum is good at lifting people up, rather than putting them down. Please let’s keep it that way.

covid1.jpg

covida.jpg

Georgia now giving anyone who gets the vaccination ---> $50

covidb.jpg

*wow* ... how f'ed up is this.

99% of those hospitalized and dying are unvaccinated... and now we are rewarding them?
it's very hard for me ignore this idiocy.

Last edited:
Bribery is nothing new - many states, including California, were doing lotteries. West Virginia was giving away guns. Washington was giving away marijuana

In other news, the CDC just released a report showing the vaccines are not particularly effective against the Delta variant: Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 Infections, including COVID-19 ...

69% of the Massachusetts population was vaccinated when a series of summer events occurred in 1 county resulting in a covid outbreak.
74% of these COVID infections happened to the fully vaccinated. (346 out of 469 cases)
79% of these "breakthrough infections" were symptomatic (274 out of 346)
80% of those hospitalized were vaccinated (4 out of 5 - 1.1% of vaccinated & 0.8% of unvaccinated)
Of those vaccinated infections: 46% had pfizer, 38% Moderna, & 16% J&J (vs Massachusetts vaccination base rates of 56% pfizer, 38% Moderna, & 7% J&J).
89% of these infections were confirmed Delta variant, 10% could not be determined
87% of infections were male, median age was 42
PCR CT counts were essentially the same for vaccinated (22.77) and unvaccinated (21.54) meaning the vaccinated are spreading just as much virus which is why the CDC now recommends the vaccinated wear masks too

This shouldn't come as too big of a shock since Israel earlier reported the pfizer vaccine was just 39% effective at preventing infection against the Delta variant. It is also why the WHO was telling vaccinated people to wear a mask 1 month ago.

Last edited:
UCSF's hospital just released similar breakthrough infection & hospitalization rates for its staff in June & July. 84% of infections occurred amongst the fully vaccinated, with 1.3% of those vaccinated infections requiring hospitalization. UCSF estimates their infection rate would have been 4x worse had no one been vaccinated.

Meanwhile in an effort to increase vaccination rates the CDC keeps pointing to old data from the Alpha variant to promote the increasingly false narrative that vaccinations do a great job preventing severe illness/hospitalizations when all of the latest data shows vaccines offer a much more modest benefit against the Delta variant.

69% of the Massachusetts population was vaccinated when a series of summer events occurred in 1 county resulting in a covid outbreak.
74% of these COVID infections happened to the fully vaccinated. (346 out of 469 cases)
79% of these "breakthrough infections" were symptomatic (274 out of 346)
80% of those hospitalized were vaccinated (4 out of 5 - 1.1% of vaccinated & 0.8% of unvaccinated)
Of those vaccinated infections: 46% had pfizer, 38% Moderna, & 16% J&J (vs Massachusetts vaccination base rates of 56% pfizer, 38% Moderna, & 7% J&J).
89% of these infections were confirmed Delta variant, 10% could not be determined
87% of infections were male, median age was 42
PCR CT counts were essentially the same for vaccinated (22.77) and unvaccinated (21.54) meaning the vaccinated are spreading just as much virus which is why the CDC now recommends the vaccinated wear masks too

yahoo ... please keep spreading these "facts".
as i said before... the people dying are those who are listening to this "data".
population reduction through attrition of the uneducated.
solves two problems at the same time.

THANKS...!

yahoo ... please keep spreading these "facts".
as i said before... the people dying are those who are listening to this "data".
population reduction through attrition of the uneducated.
solves two problems at the same time.

THANKS...!
These "facts" come straight from the CDC (link in the 4th sentence) and deal with fresh Delta variant data (outbreak starting on July 4th). But if you want to keep going around without a mask because your preferred news outlets keep using 3+ month old Alpha variant efficacy rates to encourage more people to get vaccinated, well, it's your life...

Any news on when updated shots will be available? I assume it'll be like the flu shot where you need a new one with the strains expected to be most common that season every fall?

Rod got pinged at the very start of our recent holiday.
The old rules were that people had to have a test and isolate for 10 days if they got pinged.
The new rules are that you just have to have a test and otherwise it is business as usual until you get the test results if you are double jabbed.
We were really lucky as it was just as the rules changed.
I got tested too - just so that we would know what we were dealing with for looking after my mother - and both tests came back negative.

Science
Coronavirus Today: What it’s like to die from COVID-19
By Karen Kaplan, Science and Medicine Editor
Aug. 31, 2021 6:10 PM PT

Nearly 40 million Americans have been infected with the coronavirus, and more than 636,000 became sick enough to die. Those numbers are astronomically high, but they still leave well over 290 million of us with no clear idea of what it’s like to have the virus raging inside our bodies.

Karen Gallardo does — not because she’s been sick herself, but because she’s a respiratory therapist who’s been caring for COVID-19 patients at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura for nearly a year and a half.

In an eye-opening essay, she describes what happens if you develop a serious case of COVID-19, starting with symptoms that are bad enough to bring a patient to the emergency room and ending with his or her very last breath:

Stage 1: You come to the hospital because you’re having trouble breathing on your own. The medical team puts you on supplemental oxygen and admits you to a ward, where you’re given monoclonal antibodies, antivirals or other treatments. If all goes well, your ability to breathe will recover in a few days and you’ll be sent home.

Stage 2: The breathing treatments don’t work and you feel like you’re drowning. You can’t go to the bathroom or even sit up on your own. Doctors transfer you to the intensive care unit.

Stage 3: A machine forces air into your lungs through a bulky face mask wrapped tightly around your face. Even so, the number of breaths you need to take to get your required oxygen leaves you utterly exhausted.

Stage 4: Still unable to get enough oxygen into your body, you are sedated, then paralyzed, so a tube can be threaded into your airway and connected to a ventilator. But first, if you’re lucky, you’ll be able to call your loved ones in case it’s their last chance to hear your voice.

Stage 5: If several days on a ventilator have not turned things around for you, doctors may try to get you on an ECMO machine. These machines will oxygenate your blood for you, bypassing your lungs so they might have a chance to heal. But community hospitals like Gallardo’s don’t have them, and you might not be stable enough for a transfer to one that does.

Stage 6: Now your medical team has its hands full dealing with the consequences of your COVID-19 treatment. Tubes are inserted into your chest cavity to clear out the air that has leaked there. Your kidneys can’t keep up with all the drugs you’ve received, so you may require dialysis. Because you’ve been sedentary you may develop a clot, which could cut off blood flow to vital organs or result in a heart attack or stroke. You may need to be revived with CPR.

Stage 7: If your family decides you have no chance to recover, they’ll have a final FaceTime call with you. The breathing tube will be removed and the ventilator shut off. Someone from the medical team will be there to hold your hand until your breathing stops.

yesterday i was listening to a press conference by DeSantis, the redumblican governor of Florida. he had some idiot on who claimed that the COViD vaccine changes your body's RNA. of course, as a party-centric (not health-centric) politician... DeSantis did nothing to deny the lies that were spouted.

then it occurred to be that the only thing i know about RNA or DNA is that they are often crossword puzzle answers and i do remember from science class that the DNA molecule is the genetic double-helix that essentially contains all the information it took to make me.

so i started looking around... to science sites.
here is where i started with the CDC site....

COVID-19 mRNA vaccines give instructions for our cells to make a harmless piece of what is called the “spike protein.” The spike protein is found on the surface of the virus that causes COVID-19.
  1. First, COVID-19 mRNA vaccines are given in the upper arm muscle. Once the instructions (mRNA) are inside the muscle cells, the cells use them to make the protein piece. After the protein piece is made, the cell breaks down the instructions and gets rid of them. [ed: this is how ALL RNA works... it gets synthesized and after it is used... it breaks down]
  2. Next, the cell displays the protein piece on its surface. Our immune systems recognize that the protein doesn’t belong there and begin building an immune response and making antibodies, like what happens in natural infection against COVID-19.
  3. At the end of the process, our bodies have learned how to protect against future infection. The benefit of mRNA vaccines, like all vaccines, is those vaccinated gain this protection without ever having to risk the serious consequences of getting sick with COVID-19.
i have to admit, i'm no pre-med student ... or even close... but i was/am an engineer, so i have some practice in figuring stuff out. other searches i did were for RNA (there are different types... mRNA... tRNA... rRNA) finding out that your body actually synthesizes RNA when it is needed.... ribosomes... cytoplasm... protein and lipid synthesis... polypeptides and amino acids.

bottom line... it doesn't take too much medical understanding to realize that the COViD vaccine (the mRNA ones) are not only safer than practicallly all other vaccinations currently required for children to attend school, but they can boost protection for even those who have already contracted COViD. i sure wish HS science teachers would get on the bandwagon. when you have a computer problem... ask a teenager. why not give them this knowledge, too.

think i will send off an email message to the Dept of Education today.

Last edited:
U.S. senators - party affiliation of the highest and lowest COViD infection rates by state...

covid per capita by state.jpg

Highest infection rate states... 38 of 44 republican senators.
=============================================================
covid per capita by state - lowest.jpg

Lowest infection rate states... 6 of 44 republican senators.

must be a statistical anomaly... yeah, right.

who is dying from COViD...?

27-MORNING-sub3-STATE-DEATH-VOTE-PLOT-articleLarge.jpg

==============================================

27-MORNING-sub4-COUNTIES-VOTING-DEATH-CHART-articleLarge.jpg

the latest hype... it's a democrat party ploy.

redumblicans claim that democrats know supporting vaccination will only serve to increase the republican resistance to get vaccinated.

Back