Covid-19 ... coronavirus ... thoughts?

I am a bit disappointed with Joe, but he is just doing what a lot of Americans are doing, wisely or not... I don't know the whole story, but it does not sound like good leadership...
Do you do tracing of close contacts when somebody tests positive where you are so they can also isolate like is done here in Aus ?
Missed the question when you asked Trusylver, the answer is no. Too many people have it here now to make contact tracing feasible. I suspect we cross paths with someone with the virus all the time... In Utah they pretty much gave up on contact tracing a while back. I know my gym is doing their own version to determine if gym members who have tested positive are getting in at the gym, or spreading to other gym folks. So far it looks like they are not, good news for those of us who still use it.

yesterday, 79 years ago, 2400 Americans died during the Pearl Harbor attack in a single day.

COVID-19 is currently killing and average of over 2200 Americans every day.

still 44 more days until Americans will finally have a national leader who will deal with the coronavirus pandemic.
only Robert E Lee and U.S. Grant have been responsible for the death of more Americans than Donald Trump.

the U.S. under the Trump WH administration has given up on fighting the pandemic. Trump's plan is apparently to leave the country in the worst shape possible for president-elect Biden to have to deal with while the entire congressional republican leadership remains silent. the damage that will occur over the next 40+ days could devastate the country.

coronagraph 12.07.20.jpg

Last edited:
This year it was hard, I had to change jobs, canceled many plans, but I also started exercising, cooking more at home, started taking courses that I had long ago abandoned. Now I am sick and can not do sports, but I hope to get better soon and return to training.

it's not getting worse... it's getting MUCH worse.
this is a bad sign... after the days to double the amount of positive cases gradually increased over the year, it's taken a dive this past month...
coronograph d2d 12.18.20.jpg

every stat is reaching a new high every day...
coronograph 12.18.20.jpg

all this while Li'l Donnie continues to hideout in the WH still demanding the election be overturned through his social media rants and afraid to hold a press conference to address the pandemic he claimed was a hoax and would disappear after the Nov 3rd election. the 20 Jan inauguration cannot get here soon enough... even more for the families of the next 100,000+ Americans who will continue dying under Trump's watch.

My mother got a long awaited letter on Monday - so I was able to book her in for a vaccination on Wednesday.
Only the over 80s (plus NHS or care home workers) are currently eligible for the vaccine.
She got the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
She is due the second vaccination about 01/04/2021

There was a very long queue - part of which was outside - but I had her bundled up in a wheelchair with blankets over her/
We got there about 15 minutes before her appointment time and she left the building about an hour and a half after her appointment time.

It was a huge relief to get it done.

I am hopeful that Rod will get called before his age group. Looking at the leaflet he seems to have three qualifying medical conditions.

one more week for me. some good news today... apparently there will be enough vaccine by mid to late summer to cover anyone in the U.S. who wants one. the acceptance also seems to be growing. 71% are in favor as of today. could be better, but the trend is increasing that percentage.

Met a guy today who works at the local paper. He said they are breaking records for the number of obituaries this winter, double or more what it has ever been before. Most do not identify COVID as the cause of death, but there seems to be no other reason why more folks than usual are dying. He said most, but not all, were older.

Sounds to me like a lot of these are elderly who have had their deaths hastened by the virus, probably some going undiagnosed. Just anecdotal, but it does have a ring of truth to it.

Hey Natalya, your Sputnik V vaccine has gotten some good coverage lately. How available is it? Are lots of Russians getting it (the vaccine)? Hope it is effective for y'all.

Most do not identify COVID as the cause of death, but there seems to be no other reason why more folks than usual are dying.
I wouldn't be surprised if many had covid, but I bet many were caused more by the response to covid: suicides, deferred medical care, etc. There's even a psychosomatic element to "giving up" for people in isolation without much hope on the horizon.

2020 Was Especially Deadly. Covid Wasn’t the Only Culprit.

Great pictures, thanks Natalya! Is that you in the orange hat? Hope you can get the vaccine soon. I visited Moscow once years ago, back when Yeltsin was president. I was quite impressed, you live in a very interesting place.

Thanks for the link Err, that was a really good read. It verifies what my acquaintance observed locally and makes a lot of sense. It illustrates how hard, impossible really, it is to accurately measure the full impact of the virus. Hopefully the vaccines will make it all better soon, wishful thinking anyway...

I suspect the real end to this will come slowly. Makes you think about the next pandemic and what that will bring. And there is always a next one. Bad as COVID is it really is not nearly so bad as it could have been. For example what would have had happened had HIV been transmitted via mosquito, not too far fetched... Something like that will come one day, hopefully long after I am gone.

Guess which part of Newcastle I live in?

Yes - its the pretty dark pink piece of the jigsaw that seems to have almost all the cases in my fair city....
The city as a whole has a case rate of 125 per 100,000 population - and my district has 400 to 450 (which must make some of the other districts almost as clear as those countries we envy...
No wonder I am currently staying in most of the time...

Attachments

• 149285991_10158089085668790_4752284910416774553_o.png
    149285991_10158089085668790_4752284910416774553_o.png
    241.1 KB · Views: 4
...The city as a whole has a case rate of 125 per 100,000 population - and my district has 400 to 450...
at least you are getting the straight scoop. the only US maps i see indicate total cases. since the start California, Texas and New York have always had the indications of the greatest number of cases... DUH...!!! the worse outcome is that small population states where the infection rate PER CAPITA is high, look as if they are doing great.

Back