Cate's Diary

I have felt better as the day has gone on. G & I just got back from a walk with Archie. It’s a beautiful day 😊

Woke up at 5 am as well and hope to follow your trajectory.
Yay for low-pain walks and beautiful days!

I’ll wait until I’m home tomorrow night to tell you about my trip. I got rammed by a ram on my good leg & luckily he missed my knee, but I can hardly walk. This has been the catalyst for me to recommit to losing weight. 20 kgs. That’s the aim.
G had to lift me up from the low bed twice during the night as I couldn’t get up on my own.

Oh Cate, I'm so sorry! I know the ram can't help being a ram but that's awful. Is your bed at home higher at least?

Oh, so sorry about your leg. I hope you are feeling better and are home recovering. Does ice help on the injury? I really hope you can get up better from your bed at home.

I think you're doing so well with substituting healthier foods for the unhealthier treats and alcohol. Can you do 2 walking sticks when you recover enough for walks? That way there could be a taller one and a sitting one. My mom had those ski poles, and they worked great.

I really really empathize about the trees getting cut down. Much of my yard was just cut down, including hedge rows the birds loved, flower beds full of wild ginger, the entire pond was mowed down and looks awful compared to what it was, and walking around the property makes me cringe. I can only hope it rains a lot this winter and the next person will let things grow back. But with trees, they won't come back. I am with you about having a lot of acreage as a haven for wildlife. Most of the properties I am looking at in Northern Florida are around 10 acres and have a river or pond or lake on the property. I don't know what difference I'll make in the world as far as contributing anything much to the human world, but I do want to be a haven for nature, and love spending my time helping provide food and beautiful wild spaces for the animals. The realtors called my yard Jumanji and were so proud for clearing much of it. I complimented them because in their world, neat yards sell houses, but it breaks my heart that had to be done if we were to get out of our house this year.

Hugs, and I hope you are feeling much better!

Thanks, Liza, LaMa, Marsia, Floater & Fiera. I really appreciate your sympathy :grouphug: Maybe I had to feel quite incapacitated to spur myself on to actually do something about losing weight. The ram was only being a ram, which was why R had to take him back again on Sunday. He has to go, but that's not easy. Yesterday we helped him rig up a fence to keep him off R's porch & from coming into his house & also give him the run of his yard. It's now a matter of getting a mobile butcher to come to get him & that is looking difficult. The earliest one guy offered was Feb!
I have only been home about 20 minutes & am feeling very tired & not up to posting much. We had an early breakfast (one piece of oat sourdough with 1/3 of an avocado, mixed with tomato, pickled cucumber, lime juice, & something else delicious & we just had a tuna salad. G knows I'm serious about losing weight. I am going to log everything into MFP & am aiming at 1200 cals a day, which will be really hard I know, but I just have to do this.
We went out for lunch yesterday with R & H for his birthday. I really loved the place we went to. I suggested getting starters & sharing & that's what we did. The presentation was wonderful & so was the food. The atmosphere was great & it was dog friendly. R's dog & Arch get along really well.
I slept so much better last night & found a way to get up on my own. I just can't afford to lose my mobility!

I slept so much better last night & found a way to get up on my own. I just can't afford to lose my mobility!
Glad to hear it. Mobility is SO important. (Ask me how I know...) A real shame about the ram but that's how it goes.

It's lovely to hear the dogs get along well and being motivated to do something for your body can't be bad either.

I need to lose a similar amount of weight and can finally concentrate on that, so I'll definitely be keeping you company. I know as a group we can encourage each other with finding lifestyle changes so our weight loss is permanent. It's good that G is helping you by fixing low calorie delicious food. I love hearing about R's life. Just that he has a ram that can get into his house and porch seems so R-like! Glad you helped put up a fence. The lunch place sounds so nice with your dogs hanging out together. It's wonderful to hear that you were feeling good enough to go out and celebrate. Wakeup calls are good. Mine was almost not being able to button my biggest jeans, and I refused to go get bigger ones, so I had to stuff myself into them for a few weeks. I really like your sunset icon and am so glad you are being kind to yourself now about your weight. I find that fighting myself by being judgmental usually just adds another layer of unhelpful distraction, but being supportive of changing seems to help me a lot more. So glad you are doing somewhat better!

Good luck with the 1200 calories Cate. I hope you don't get too hungry. Have you thought about possibly slowing reducing so you could feel more comfortable while getting down to 1200? I don't know-- maybe you are better at big reductions like that. I just can't handle cutting back so much all at once.

I can certainly see how not wanting to lose mobility would be a big motivation.
Glad to hear you could find a way to get up on your own. I remember having to learn tricks of how to move my body differently to get to standing when my back was out.

Hi, M. I'm glad my brain has clicked into action again. Losing my mobility is so scary. I just don't think I had imagined that happening & it has really scared me. It started with tearing my meniscus. Losing 20 kg would put so much less strain on my joints. It has crept up over the last 4 years, so slowly, but so determinately. I could just see myself getting back to what I once was & that really has scared me. I do feel positive that I can do this though. My birthday is 6 months away. My aim is to be 10 kg less by then.
R having a ram that could get into the house is so much an R thing. He has trouble saying no to people, He gets that from his Dad.

Hi, Liza. I just felt I had to do something drastic to start off. I need to retrain my brain (& stomach) to eat less & cutting down a bit just doesn't work well with me. I have a month before Christmas & want to quickly drop some weight to get my motivation up. I was so close to giving up on myself.
My right leg is feeling quite a bit better. I was so lucky he didn't get my knee with his horns. I hate to think how I would feel with a busted knee cap! :eek:

I had a really good night's sleep last night & feel so much better today. I also feel so much better having made the decision to really concentrate on my health again. I kickstarted with 1162 cals yesterday. I haven't made hard & fast rules, other than eating as healthy as I can & keeping to about 1200 cals at least for now.

Edit: I cancelled my weekly bread order ( 1 loaf of oat sourdough) & that will make a difference I know & am not drinking any wine for now, but am leaving that open to the possibility of just one small glass occasionally.
By putting it that way I don't feel that I am restricting myself totally. I am also not going to have any ice cream, sweet biscuits, licorice, dried fruit....Fresh fruit within my calorie range will be my dessert. I'll start with this for one month.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan! You'll probably have to be consistent for quite a while regardless of what the scale wants to throw at you but if you are you can 100% do this.

Thanks, LaMa. I am going to stick with it for a month & then switch things around if I need to. Having Greek yoghurt with fruit for breakfast with a heaped teaspoon of almond meal fills me up until lunch time. I had a bowl of pho for lunch & am having an omelette for dinner tonight. I’ll have yoghurt & fruit again for breakfast probably & we’re having pho tomorrow night while it’s freshly made. We add lots of fresh herbs & salad items & I only had 30g of rice noodles with mine.
G spent most of today helping D take stuff to the tip.
I suggested to R that he emailed an abattoir saying he had a problem ram that rammed his Mum & his GF is too scared to come into his yard. I had read online that they couldn’t take any more until Jan. They emailed him back to say that he could bring him along either next Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. H will be happy 😊
Today was a very productive day!
I got quite a bit of housework done & drunk lots of water & not been hungry. I feel good!
I may not been online in the morning as I’m driving G to golf & going back to pick him up in the afternoon. I have Arch booked in for another haircut too, in the afternoon.

I think 22 pounds in 6 months is doable. I'll see if I can do it, too - scary but good goal! The ram sounds like a total menace - so good it's going and H will be able to visit again! Your food all sounds great, and I love your sense of determination and commitment! Here's to losing 4 pounds a month together (well, I guess that would be 8 pounds combined!)

Back