Cate's Diary

Hi, M. It is scary, but for me I really must! Let’s do this, hon. I just typed in your diary that I am checking out Tai Chi classes tomorrow xo

Sounds like a great start! Smart thinking about the abattoir: no matter how much someone wants to help animals sometimes it just isn´t meant to be.

Maybe I can learn something from your wake-up call. I know that it would be so much harder to recover from an injury with all the extra weight; in fact it makes one more injury prone in the first place.

Sounds like a great start! Smart thinking about the abattoir: no matter how much someone wants to help animals sometimes it just isn´t meant to be.
Thanks, LaMa. I think my brain seems to work better with all or nothing. When (dare I say when) I get to my goal weight, then I will need a set plan to stay there.
Maybe I can learn something from your wake-up call. I know that it would be so much harder to recover from an injury with all the extra weight; in fact it makes one more injury prone in the first place.
Hi, Fiera. Thanks for visiting my diary. My wake up call was a big one. I have been trying to recover from a knee injury for well over a year now. I did it playing golf. It's hard to imagine that I played golf often & loved it. I have been feeling so limited in my movement & it saddens me a little. I had been slowly regaining weight & I'm sure it was the extra pressure on my joints with that added weight that did it. It's a hard lesson, but I do not want to stay this way. I can't.

I have had just under 1200 cals in the last 2 days. I was a bit hungry last night & we had dinner(veggie omelette) a bit early, but I got through. Not drinking wine will be the key. Seeing the numbers drop will be an added incentive of course 🤞
I didn't sleep well.

It's hard to imagine that I played golf often & loved it. I have been feeling so limited in my movement & it saddens me a little.
Oh, I felt that expression of sadness so deeply Cate. It is a huge loss to lose access to a beloved form of recreation due to injury. And overall mobility. Well done on the 1200 cals 2 days in a row. I like the reminder that we need to take excess stress off our joints.

I really felt the difference in weight on yesterday's (very short) run: it was so hard compared to just 7 kg ago!

LaMa- 😊It does not 😘
It feels so good!
I came back to say I am struggling to get my calories up to 1200 today :svengo: It has been a long while since I said that last!
I also walked more today. I’m very stiff, but not much pain.

It's wonderful to hear your determination! I feel like that, too. Last time I lost weight there wasn't the feeling of me being in charge. It was me doing what I had to do to lose weight in a sort of passenger-seat more passive way where I wasn't really owning that I was in charge and calling the shots. I think we can lose this and keep it off when we own that we are in charge of our health.

So relieved to hear that you are healing up so well. Are you still looking into Tai Chi? I tried it once, but am terrible at mimicking other people's actions, and didn't get to the point where it clicked, but I can tell how relaxing and balancing it could be.

You're doing amazing with calorie counting!!

Glad to hear that the pain has eased up! :grouphug:
Thank you, Floater. Walking is ok, steps are not, & I'll be pleased when I'm not so stiff.
Great to hear that today was easier!
Thanks, LaMa. It's not much by anyone else's standards I know, but I did get 4,672 steps in yesterday, which is an improvement.
It's wonderful to hear your determination! I feel like that, too. Last time I lost weight there wasn't the feeling of me being in charge. It was me doing what I had to do to lose weight in a sort of passenger-seat more passive way where I wasn't really owning that I was in charge and calling the shots. I think we can lose this and keep it off when we own that we are in charge of our health.
So relieved to hear that you are healing up so well. Are you still looking into Tai Chi? I tried it once, but am terrible at mimicking other people's actions, and didn't get to the point where it clicked, but I can tell how relaxing and balancing it could be.
That's exactly how it has felt for me each time I have "tried" the last couple of years. I do feel really determined & in control this time. We'll do this, M!
I do feel relieved that I am not in so much pain, but I must admit I'm not confident that my legs will be ok, even with 20 kg less strain on them. My Dad had a lot of trouble with his legs as he got older & I have his build & weight issues.
I didn't drop into the centre that does Tai Chi classes as I had a lot of shopping on board when I remembered & I didn't have ice bricks. We went from Winter to Summer in a day yesterday(& are back to Winter again today). I'll have to start taking ice bricks everywhere from now on.
I just looked up where the tai chi classes are & I'll ring them at 10.30. They most probably will have a break over Christmas. I think they have classes on Wed & G will not be playing golf on Wednesday's in the new year, so that will work. Until we have a doggy door I don't like leaving him home on his own. Actually I probably never will.
Whoops! Thanks for the reminder! :ROFLMAO:
I had done yesterday's but hadn't put in today's breakfast. Under 1200 yesterday, breakfast this morning 346. I might open up my food diary on MFP for the month I think if anyone wants to join me. PM me for my username there if you're interested, xo

HI Cate
Sounds like your new plan is off to a great start--nice to hear!
That would be lovely to start again with Tai Chi. I really like the one form I did for a long time, but I did find one of the forms I did before that one hard on my knees so do be careful and listen to your body!

Good point from Liza: make sure any class you start lets you modify exercises to be easy on your knees when necessary.
Also: when you say ice bricks do you mean the hard plastic things you fill a cooler with? They work, of course, but if you use a gel pack you can mold it to your knee more comfortably which would give you a better area of contact.

4,672 steps is great for someone with two sore knees! We had a patient in the other day who'd get a average of only 500 steps in an their legs were fine :eek: That scared me.

HI Cate
Sounds like your new plan is off to a great start--nice to hear!
That would be lovely to start again with Tai Chi. I really like the one form I did for a long time, but I did find one of the forms I did before that one hard on my knees so do be careful and listen to your body!
Hi, Liza. There are 2 places in town that do Tai Chi. One is an advanced class that I have no interest in & the other class is run by a woman who also holds classes in the aged care homes. I know her & I know it would be safe. I have been doing a little Tai Chi in the last year, even with my injured knee, but I must admit I miss going to an actual class. I used to take Mum when she was in care & move her arms for her. She's a very kind, gentle person & I like her.
Good point from Liza: make sure any class you start lets you modify exercises to be easy on your knees when necessary.
Also: when you say ice bricks do you mean the hard plastic things you fill a cooler with? They work, of course, but if you use a gel pack you can mold it to your knee more comfortably which would give you a better area of contact.

4,672 steps is great for someone with two sore knees! We had a patient in the other day who'd get a average of only 500 steps in an their legs were fine :eek: That scared me.
I'll be very careful. I promise, LaMa. The ice bricks are for shopping. I have the gel ones which I have been using on my knee.
I was quite happy with my walking yesterday, It was lots of little walks with Arch mostly out at the golf course. It did feel good. 500 steps only in a day, with good legs? That would really scare me too!
I'm doing well again today. Currently having a diet tonic, with a frozen lime ice block. Yum! Had a veggie omelette for lunch. Dinner will be lamb pho.

The Tai Chi class sounds wonderful! And it's great you can still do lots of little walks with your knees so sore. I think you're doing wonderfully with the food and exercise, and I agree about the lamb pho - yum!

Thanks, LaMa, Floater & Marsia :grouphug:
My food yesterday was delicious & I feel so much better for eating so much "cleaner" & not drinking any wine at all. I haven't eaten any bread at all, no wine, no sweet treats like ice cream or sweet biscuits since Monday (R's birthday) & my body is thanking me. I know that it is water weight that I have lost this morning, but it has literally gone straight from my stomach. I peed about 20 times yesterday! The scales say I'm down 3kg in 4 days. That is obviously what my body has been doing- holding onto the water with the inflammation from my knees. I know this may only be a temporary drop, but it really does give me hope & motivation.
Not eating any bread is a biggie for me I think &, of course, no wine.
3 down, 17 to go!

Back