Alligatorob's Diary

Looks like I forgot to push the reply button last night.... So the post above was really for yesterday.

Today was ok, no binge which is good, but I ate a bit more than planned. And as I sit here right now I sure want to get up and get more, I will do my best not to. Today I was working pretty hard, trying to fix my gravel a bit, and I started feeling a bit light headed and weak. I tried eating some things I did not plan to eat, it helped I was able to go back to work and felt better. Not really a binge, I had an excuse, but it worried me a bit. And as I say right now I sure want to eat more... Oh well, my calories for the day were about 1,500, not terrible, and no binge so I will try and be happy about it.
That's great you include a good yoga/stretch session in at your gym time. Flexibility definitely seems as important as strength to me.
And very nice on your new high for sit ups!
You sound very fit Rob--always to me the most important aspect (rather than just pure weight loss)
Thanks Liza, and I agree the stretch yoga is good for me. I am probably the least agile person in the class. Kind of intimated me at first, but all the fit young women who make up most of the class are quite friendly as is the instructor. So now I just say that's evidence I probably need to be there the most. Unfortunately its only once a week, on Fridays. My last gym thing of the week. Not a bad way to end the week, but I think doing it more than once a week might be better for me.
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal.jpg

A stretch class once a week os just about enough to check on your mobility; if you want to see meaningful progress you really do need more and ideally you need to be using the muscle you're stretching in or at least near the range of motion you're trying to achieve.

Barbecued fish sounds delicious! And I know you're keeping your calories super low to reduce cravings but please be careful doing physical work out there faint with hunger. Eating a little extra sounds like it was the right decision even if it made the cravings harder to resist.

Do you include stretching after your workouts Rob? It's been ages since I've been to a gym but I thought that was a common part of a workout too? So that would help with maintaining some flexibility I imagine? I know it's recommended to include after running for helping prevent injury...

Wow Rob, I have to say you put a lot of time in at the gym! The amount of times I see you were there for over 3 hours is astounding but is sure has paid off with your increase in stamina, well done you! I feel like I need to work on my flexibility a bit more, it is just hard to fit it all in! It sounds like you are doing very well and more often than not vanquishing those pesky cravings! :hurray:

Today was ok, my calories were fine, but a bit heavy on the carbs. I started feeling a bit weak and light headed again so I ate the carbs and fats intentionally. I guess it worked I started feeling better and am fine now. No gym, and less work around the house than I had planned, but nothing critical missed.
Barbecued fish sounds delicious! And I know you're keeping your calories super low to reduce cravings but please be careful doing physical work out there faint with hunger. Eating a little extra sounds like it was the right decision even if it made the cravings harder to resist.
The fish was really good, and I'll be eating leftovers for a few days.

Hard to understand why I should be faint with hunger, as you know I ate fewer calories than this for a year and a half straight. Only started feeling this way when my weight got a lot lower, maybe too low. Understand or not, if I continue to see the connect I will eat more, and hopefully fight off the urges too. Ate a bit more today.
Do you include stretching after your workouts Rob? It's been ages since I've been to a gym but I thought that was a common part of a workout too? So that would help with maintaining some flexibility I imagine? I know it's recommended to include after running for helping prevent injury...
I do lots of stretching, I stretch with the different classes I do, usually twice a day, and if I don't end with a class I do a good stretching routine. I know I need lots of stretching and I try to do it. Its the yoga class that I can only do once a week. Its a lot more stretching ~40 minutes worth. The instructor calls it stretch yoga, which she says differs from aerobic yoga. Never done the aerobic yoga.
Wow Rob, I have to say you put a lot of time in at the gym! The amount of times I see you were there for over 3 hours is astounding but is sure has paid off with your increase in stamina, well done you! I feel like I need to work on my flexibility a bit more, it is just hard to fit it all in!
Thanks Jen, my secret to "fitting it in" has been retirement. Could not have done this either physically or timewise a couple of years ago.
It sounds like you are doing very well and more often than not vanquishing those pesky cravings!
Thanks, and sometimes I do, but you will find if you keep following me that I am a lot better at trumpeting my successes than admitting to bingeing...

Good to see you being sensible. Just keep coming here for some psycho-hygiene writing instead of binging when the urges hit. I'll try to do the same.

I've never done aerobic yoga either...never heard of it actually. I know there are the ones that seem to really focus on strength but I've done just more stretchy kinds too.
That sounds like a good routine with your strengthening followed by stretching with a good yoga session each week. Sounds really nicely balanced.

Three hours in the gym this morning and it felt pretty good, that is a little longer than I do on most Mondays.

My routine today, as best I can remember:

About an hour of exercises on my own, mostly things I have learned to do from physical therapy. I take no rests, supersetting using different muscles instead.
  • Warm up on a recumbent bike.
  • Some band warmups for my shoulders.
  • Adduction on the hip abduction machine.
  • Shoulder push downs on a machine built for triceps, I think.
  • 60 sit ups on a decline bench.
  • A couple of barbell exercises I learned at PT for my shoulders
  • Calf raises
  • Back extensions on the back machine.
  • More upper body band exercises.
Then about an hour of Tabata, its a class, Tabata is a kind of strength training where you exercise hard for 10 to 40 seconds followed by rests of half that time, 5 to 20 seconds. Three to 8 sets of each exercise, done quickly. I have to modify some of the exercises to work for my old body... Don't use as much weight as during my lifting session with the trainer, focus more on range of motion and form. If the weight is too lite I just keep going, skipping the few seconds of rest.
  • Warmup, upper and lower body.
  • Wall squats, since my knee replacement surgery I can't do squats very fast so I concentrate on doing full deep range of motion but can't do many in the time allotted.
  • Overhead press with dumbbells.
  • Side planks, planks are a problem for me in general, a combination of bad shoulders and knees. I always manage to do them, but not so well as most others.
  • Biceps curls with dumbbells.
  • Push ups, not a good one for my shoulders, and doing them on my knees is pretty uncomfortable, I muddle thru...
  • Triceps kick backs with dumbbells.
  • Regular planks, another hard one for the shoulders, I muddle thru...
  • Partial sit ups restrained by a band, an upper abb exercise.
  • A kind of sit up where you have to keep your feet in the air and don't fully recline, good abb exercise.
  • Hip raises, the rest of the class did it with gliders under the feet to better exercise hamstrings, I just did the raises.
  • Band exercise for the hamstrings.
  • That's all I can remember, we do a lot of different things.
  • Stretching with the class.
Then about an hour of weigh lifting with the trainer. This is the only time I take any real breaks or rests, she forces a minute to two minutes between sets. I also use heavier weights and work my muscles to fatigue. Not able to do so many exercises that way.
  • Leg press, the hardest exercise of the day, for me anyway.
  • Seated back row.
  • Triceps push down on a cable machine.
  • Arnold press, overhead.
  • Biceps curl with dumbbells, heavier weight than in Tabata.
Then stretching on my own, without the trainer. During stretching today I superset more calf raises on a different machine.

Every day is different, even the Tabata class does different exercises each day.
Good to see you being sensible. Just keep coming here for some psycho-hygiene writing instead of binging when the urges hit. I'll try to do the same.
Psycho-hygiene, a new word for me, I like it. And as you can probably tell that is what I am doing right now, just trying to make it to lunch... We should try to all do it, all of us with craving and binge struggles anyway.
I've never done aerobic yoga either...never heard of it actually. I know there are the ones that seem to really focus on strength but I've done just more stretchy kinds too.
That sounds like a good routine with your strengthening followed by stretching with a good yoga session each week. Sounds really nicely balanced.
Thanks Liza! I don't know if aerobic yoga is a real thing, but its what my instructor calls more vigorous yoga. We do stretch pretty hard, sometimes getting into and holding the poses can be hard work. Yeah, if only done once at the end of the week is good timing.

Last edited:
More writing rather than biting. Just had lunch out, ~650 calories according to MFP, probably about right. And of course I want to keep eating...

Did 3 1/2 hours in the gym this morning, Tuesday is often a longer day for me. I did a cycling class, Tabata with different exercises than yesterday, weight training with the trainer again different exercises to yesterday, and some exercises on my own mostly warm up and PT things. It feels fine.
Holy-- reading through your gym routine I get exhausted!
LOL, when I read back through it sounds like more than I thought. Actually that's one of the first times I tried to write everything down. It can be a little deceptive how hard I work at things varies a lot. Today I did not push too hard, maybe a little harder yesterday.

Last edited:
Binged tonight... only good thing is that I recorded it. Deciding I had to record it did probably stop the binge short of what it could have been... Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Rob I am very impressed with your dedication and focus on your health and weight loss. I think that is what it is going to take for me to get there too. I also think it takes courage to record the binge, kind of like it takes courage when we weigh ourselves. I hate the saying that goes something like: "That which is not measured, will never improve." I mostly hate it because it is true!

Hi Rob. For breakfast, do you ever try something more filling, like maybe porridge or eggs and bacon or something? I just know cereal does not keep me going in the way that porridge or eggs do. I always feel bingeing is a reaction to restricting.

Today was a better day, no binge! And I did 3 1/2 hours at the gym and feel good tonight. The gym was about an hour of circuit training, Tabata, weight training with the trainer and some exercise on my own. Felt good.
Well done recording it, Rob :)
Thanks Cate, I am tempted to say I will keep posting even with binges, but I'd rather just not have the binges to post...
That's good that deciding to record the binge helps stop it in its tracks!
It did help, I think even more so to stop the binge today... I've been doing 2 or 3 day binges, better only one.
Rob I am very impressed with your dedication and focus on your health and weight loss. I think that is what it is going to take for me to get there too. I also think it takes courage to record the binge, kind of like it takes courage when we weigh ourselves. I hate the saying that goes something like: "That which is not measured, will never improve." I mostly hate it because it is true!
LOL, you are right about that. Never thought of it that way, but you are right. Not as sure about the dedication and courage things, but it's nice of you to say.
Hi Rob. For breakfast, do you ever try something more filling, like maybe porridge or eggs and bacon or something? I just know cereal does not keep me going in the way that porridge or eggs do. I always feel bingeing is a reaction to restricting.
Maybe I should try that, a bit more work than the cold cereal, but if it helps it would be worth it. How do you cook your eggs? Just happens we have some leftover bacon, already cooked in the freezer... may give it a try. Thanks Emily!

Back