Alligatorob's Diary

Rob, do you think if you eat more at mealtimes that you will feel less inclined to binge eat? I know that adding protein is important for me to stave off cravings.
Did I say I'm glad to have you back? :D

I made it, and other than being tired it was a decent day. In addition to the gym I got the lawn mostly mowed and shoveled a pickup load of gravel, so being tired didn't completely stop me. Tomorrow will be the test of my strength, its a big gym day, first I do circuit training, then Tabata, then weight training, probably over 3 hours. I've been doing that pretty regularly so should be ok, we'll see.

Food was good today, started eating the first cherries of the season, more should be ripening soon, then apricots, then plums and so on. No peaches for a couple of months though.
I hope you hung tough till 6pm. I do think you can afford to eat more and be able to do the gym workouts you want and not feel low on energy, but that is up to you. More protein!
Thanks Emily, you are a lovely person!

I'll try to answer both you and Cate on the eating more and protein. First I have been doing pretty well with protein, today I had 133 grams, even more yesterday. But eating more makes it harder for me to stop and easier to binge, I know that doesn't make sense but after fighting this for a while I am pretty sure its true. Easier for me to stick to a lower calorie diet than a more moderate one. I know I can't do this forever, but a couple of weeks kick start is what I am after...
Rob, do you think if you eat more at mealtimes that you will feel less inclined to binge eat? I know that adding protein is important for me to stave off cravings.
Did I say I'm glad to have you back? :D
Thanks Cate, you are no less lovely!! And I am glad to be back, not glad that I need to be back, but happy I have done it. I tried to answer the protein and meals question in response to Emily... I know it sounds a bit counter intuitive, but I think its true.
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal.jpg

Wow Rob, what a wonderful story you have! You look amazing, I love how you have the discipline to track all your calories! Losing over 100 pounds, good job you! I am looking forward to continuing to hear more about your journey, and to cheering you on with maintaining the weight that you find works best and makes you feel the most comfortable 😊

Wow Rob, what a wonderful story you have! You look amazing, I love how you have the discipline to track all your calories! Losing over 100 pounds, good job you! I am looking forward to continuing to hear more about your journey, and to cheering you on with maintaining the weight that you find works best and makes you feel the most comfortable 😊
Thanks Jen! However my discipline comes and goes, like most of us. All we can do is try, for me one day at a time. If things are ok today, that's the best I can do.

And I appreciate your cheers, I do.

Well done fighting off the dragon, my friend; no virgins eaten today! That pic wasme in a drysuit, on my way to go snorkeling for the first time. On Iceland.

yum to the cherries! and to all the other fresh fruit coming!

I have never been to Alaska or very far north at all. I am very attracted to the idea of it though....maybe one day....

This is a time of day that can be a struggle for me, between breakfast and lunch. Many a binge has started at this time. I had a protein shake before going to the gym, and then a breakfast of higher protein cereal. Then I wanted to keep eating. Didn't do it today, not yet anyway, its 11 am will do my best to wait for lunch.

Did 3 1/2 hours in the gym and whilst I am tired it felt good and I seem to have moved past the exhaustion I was feeling yesterday.
That pic was me in a drysuit, on my way to go snorkeling for the first time. On Iceland.
Very impressive, I've never been to Iceland, but always wanted to go. I hear it is very expensive. I have always enjoyed snorkeling, but mine has all be in warm waters, that must have been amazing!
no virgins eaten today!
Are they high calorie?
yum to the cherries! and to all the other fresh fruit coming!

I have never been to Alaska or very far north at all. I am very attracted to the idea of it though....maybe one day....
Yes Liza, fruit season here is a favorite. This is a link to our local fruit stands, about half of them are within an easy walk of our house. https://www.theutahfarmersnetwork.com/post/fruit-stands-in-willard-and-perry-utah

You should try to get to Alaska one day, it is an amazing place, very different from anything in the lower 48 states.

Last edited:
It really was an amazing trip. And it is an expensive place, especially for folks from a low-income country like ours, but we had a local friend guiding (and driving) us and only ate out one meal a day, which helped a lot.

Today was a good day ate well and spent 3 1/2 hours in the gym, feel good tonight. The day was not without its temptations, but none ever is and I managed to resist today.
Oh, 133g of protein is very good, Rob. Cravings are weird & hard to work out.
Thanks Cate, and you sure are right about cravings...
"Are they high calorie?"
You're a very funny man :D
Thought maybe @Llama had found a new low cal high protein food, LOL.
It really was an amazing trip. And it is an expensive place, especially for folks from a low-income country like ours, but we had a local friend guiding (and driving) us and only ate out one meal a day, which helped a lot.
Really sounds nice. Do you think you'll get back?

Good job resisting! With virgins, as with anything, the devil is in the detail. Were they pasture-raised? McDonald's-fed? Taken for their twice-daily walks? It all adds up!

Well done on a good day, Rob! Laughter is calorie-free too. I love the tangents we go off on sometimes :)

Getting through that afternoon temptation time, not so bad today as yesterday.

Did 3 hours and 20 minutes at the gym today, but the last 40 min or so was stretch yoga, less work.

Hit a kind of milestone yesterday, I did 121 sit ups on a declined bench, harder than regular sit ups. Then today I did a few more and was not sore at all. The 121 is a high. When I was about 16 I could do over 200, not decline though, and I'd be sore afterwards. If I wanted to I think I could match the 200 plus now, but it would make me sore, and I feel no drive to do it. However it makes me feel better knowing I probably could. You'd think that would give me a rock hard stomach, but it doesn't... maybe hidden under that layer of fat...
With virgins, as with anything, the devil is in the detail. Were they pasture-raised? McDonald's-fed? Taken for their twice-daily walks? It all adds up!
So your recommend the organic free range virgins?
Well done on a good day, Rob! Laughter is calorie-free too. I love the tangents we go off on sometimes :)
Thanks Cate, and I think laughter probably even burns a few calories... If it doesn't it should.
3.5 hours in the gym! That's amazing.
Nice work on resisting temptations!
Thanks Liza, the gym thing is interesting. It was just a little over 3 years ago that I set foot in a gym for the first time in my life, and I've slowly built up to this level. It's funny I don't really feel all that fit, but in some ways I guess I am. I know I'm not skinny, its not hard to gain weight, fat, whilst working out. I also probably burn fewer calories per hour in the gym than most, what Llama calls a mild workout. Suits me, I've never been the fastest or strongest but have fairly good stamina. Probably won't increase beyond this, even now that I'm retired it is taking up about as much of my time as I can give it.

I think it's great that you have built up your stamina & I'm sure you are much stronger & fitter than when you started at the gym. I'm also sure that you're not fat. I wouldn't like to be skinny.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine :)

I'm sure you are much stronger & fitter than when you started at the gym.
For sure, you may remember not long after I started here I began exercising by riding a bike. At first all I could do was a very few laps around the house...

Of course I am older too, a few more aches and pains, guess that's to be expected.

Not seeing your abs probably has to do with excess skin as much as excess fat, so I wouldn't worry about it. I once watched a short docu about older bodybuilders and the most noticeable thing about them was the looser skin.

Also: organic says absolutely nothing about calorie content so be careful selecting your virgins.

Getting through that afternoon temptation time, not so bad today as yesterday.

Did 3 hours and 20 minutes at the gym today, but the last 40 min or so was stretch yoga, less work.

Hit a kind of milestone yesterday, I did 121 sit ups on a declined bench, harder than regular sit ups. Then today I did a few more and was not sore at all. The 121 is a high.
That's great you include a good yoga/stretch session in at your gym time. Flexibility definitely seems as important as strength to me.
And very nice on your new high for sit ups!
You sound very fit Rob--always to me the most important aspect (rather than just pure weight loss)

It was a good day, exercised, ate well and I feel good tonight. Bbq'd a bunch of fish, a mix of halibut and cod, had some for dinner and am saving some for a couple days of meals.
I remember it well, Rob xo
Thanks, I guess I need to more often. I look a lot better compared to myself of a few years ago than to people at the gym.
Not seeing your abs probably has to do with excess skin as much as excess fat, so I wouldn't worry about it. I once watched a short docu about older bodybuilders and the most noticeable thing about them was the looser skin.
Thanks Llama, I know I have a layer of fat there, but I also know its not too bad, nothing like it used to be.
Also: organic says absolutely nothing about calorie content so be careful selecting your virgins.
LOL!! :smilielol5:

Back