Alligatorob's Diary

Oh, Rob. I am so glad you're back! I have to admit to writing out a postcard from all of us, but it is still sitting in the side pocket of my handbag :blush5: I won't send it now as it's obsolete. It was of a Tassie devil & letting you know that we all missed you!
Thanks, a nice welcome is appreciated. You can go ahead and send the card, it would be my first ever correspondence from Tasmania!
Hey, we are moving to the Charleston area in about a month and a half
Good to hear from you Marisa! The move sounds exciting. I have only been to Charleston a few times but was impressed. Beautiful old southern town near the water and beaches.
How lovely to hear from you! So glad to you've been able to keep your weight at a decent level. I've been binging as well but I'm starting to do better.
Hey Llama, I have missed you! Sounds like we may be in a similar place, with respect the binge thing... Glad to hear that you are doing better.
Welcome back, Rob! Great that you are maintaining now.
Thanks Vic! Good to see you! My "maintenance" is marginal, but I sure could have gained a lot more weight.

Just did a hour or so at the gym, a Tabata exercise class and some band exercises. It was a pretty short day for me, but yesterday was 3+ hours, and tomorrow will likely be 3 hours again. No binge so far today!

Yay for gym time! The only good thing my binge episode has done for me is that it's convinced me to work out more again. Covid is not going to keep me locked up at home anymore.

Hey Rob, glad you are back, I've missed your warm presence here.

Sorry to hear that food is a bit of a struggle, but your weight and exercise all seem good, so there are a lot of positives there. Keep fighting the good fight, my friend.

Yay for gym time! The only good thing my binge episode has done for me is that it's convinced me to work out more again.
I agree, and bingeing has driven me to exercise more. I know that's not entirely rational, its impossible to exercise enough to burn off a binge, but it doesn't hurt. And I think it makes me feel better and that probably slows the bingeing. Trying the no binge thing again now, we'll see...
I looked up Tabata training. The research on that is really cool.
What they do in my gym is called Tabata but I am not sure how well it follows the rules. Its basically 20 seconds of exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest, the number of reps vary from exercise to exercise. Sometimes the exercises go a little longer, 30 or 40 seconds followed by 15 or 20 seconds of rest. The lady who teaches the class is quite creative, she seems to know hundreds of exercises and we get them all, over the course of a couple of weeks. Most exercises are resistance band or weight based, but some are own body weight. The variety keeps it interesting. Kind of a blend of cardio and strength training.
I will, but I'll add to it
Looking forward to seeing it! Thanks!
Keep fighting the good fight, my friend.
Thanks Emily! Your notes always make my day a little better.
Printable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpg

And I think it makes me feel better and that probably slows the bingeing. Trying the no binge thing again now, we'll see...
Working out makes me feel better and makes me want to binge a little less but eating well also makes exercise easier so it's doubly motivating.

Just did 3 hours and 5 minutes in the gym, and it felt good. First did a circuit training class, then a back/shoulder weight lifting thing with the trainer and then a Tabata class. Did some band exercises during the breaks. Don't get too impressed, I think I am the slowest one in the classes, LOL. But that doesn't bother me, and I think the others like having someone to compare to and feel good...

Cooked a bunch of fish yesterday, really just steamed. I then deboned it and put it into small, meal size, packages, froze most. I am planning a fishing trip in early March so this is an effort to clean out the freezer from past trips in anticipation.

No binge yesterday, and food is good so far today.IMG_2720.JPG

That's a lot of gym time, and a lot of fish! Who the slowest person in a class is really doesn't matter: the only one you're competing with is yesterday's you.

I can't help it - 3 hours of any sort of exercise with strength training and resistance bands is impressive to me! The Tabata sounds fun - I like when they mix up the exercises so while you are always trying to master a new thing. Pot of fish looks wonderful, and I hope your fishing trip goes really well this time!

It was a good day, good exercise and ate well. I feel good tonight.

Cold day with just a little snow, its been a too dry winter, our multi-year drought continues....
That's a lot of gym time, and a lot of fish! Who the slowest person in a class is really doesn't matter: the only one you're competing with is yesterday's you.
Thanks Lama, and yea I kind of figured that out. One thing I like about the gym is most of the others in the classes are young fit women. They are very friendly, don't know anyplace else I can go and have a group like that who actually know my name... Actually there is one lady in her 80s who is also friendly, and impressive. She's been going to the gym a long time and it shows, she can out do me in many things. A good role model.
can't help it - 3 hours of any sort of exercise with strength training and resistance bands is impressive to me!
If you saw me it might not be so impressive. I have always been better at stamina than speed or strength. So I probably don't burn as many calories per hour as most, but if I can stick it out for 2 or 3 hours I think slow is ok.
That fish looks yummy, Rob
It is! Had 2 meals of it today.
Printable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpg

Slow and consistent is way better than burning yourself out. Yay for the lady in her 80s! My mom had a woman like that in her yoga group and she was thoroughly impressed.

Did 3 hours and 15 minutes in the gym today, a Tabata class, some workout on my own, and a yoga class to end it. A good day so far. No binge yesterday and none yesterday, so far so good. Only do yoga once a week, I am not graceful, but the instructor is nice, and helps me a lot.
Slow and consistent is way better than burning yourself out.
I think so, I work at a pace that I can do longer gym times. Works for me.
Yay for the lady in her 80s! My mom had a woman like that in her yoga group and she was thoroughly impressed.
Yep, she was there again today. In the Tabata class and then spent about an hour on a treadmill. Not quite as long as me, but 2 hours is pretty respectable. And she probably did better in Tabata than I.

If I make it to my 80s and still work out two hours a days at any speed I'll be very happy with myself. Or maybe I'll still be my own worst critic :p

I love that you really enjoy the gym & are happy to go at your own pace. We are definitely not in competition with anyone else. I know so many people who are really active well into their 80's & even 90's. How wonderful would that be?

It was a good day, got exercise in the gym and another hour or so of snow removal when I got home. Had a surprise snow storm last night. Food was good, eating more of that fish.
Or maybe I'll still be my own worst critic
If you are still the Lama I know that seems most likely!!
I know so many people who are really active well into their 80's & even 90's. How wonderful would that be?
I agree. My grandfather did no formal exercise, but was a very active man, and careful about his diet. He lived to just a couple of months short of 100 and until he was 95 lived by himself and went fishing 3 days a week. Almost never missed a day, weather had to be real bad. At 95 he had a minor car accident and decided he wasn't safe driving, after that he moved in with my mother and my mother's sister. Moved back and forth. He walked for a couple of hours almost everyday until his kidneys gave out at 99. We should all be so fortunate. Eating right and exercising will give us a better chance.
Printable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpgPrintable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpg

Your gym sounds wonderful! I'm just starting out again with aerobic exercise and wow, it's surprising how out of shape I got. I am nowhere near the stage where I'd want to compare my abilities with someone who's been going to the gym quite a while. I think it's wonderful how dedicated you are with exercise and so happy you're tracking calories and rededicating yourself to your health. It's inspiring me to stick to my calorie counter better, for sure!

Back