10 Diet Myths from Real Simple Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never read the work of Eades.

Calorie restriction is important to achieve the loss of stored body fat, and of equal importance in regard to efficiently burning stored body fat is the ratio of the macronutrients (protein, carbohydrate and fat) that makes up the calories one eats. There were studies done back in the 1950's which demonstrate this. The specific published clinical studies are cited in the bibliographies of Zone books.

Your reference to snake oil remindes me of something I recently read. Here's a surprising bit of info about snake oil, the term given to concoctions used to scam tons of gullible people a hundred years ago. I read that some of those preparations actually contained omega 3 oils. Omega 3's, especially those from fish oil, are now proven to reduce inflammation, so it's very likely the at least some of that old fashioned snake oil probably did do some good in regard to helping people feel better!

Last edited:
I've never read the work of Eades.

Calorie restriction is important to achieve the loss of stored body fat, and of equal importance in regard to efficiently burning stored body fat is the ratio of the macronutrients (protein, carbohydrate and fat) that makes up the calories one eats. There were studies done back in the 1950's which demonstrate this. The specific published clinical studies are cited in the bibliographies of Zone books.

Maybe you should check current research.

Macros are certainly important.

Once adequate protein and essential fats are accounted for, there's not much a difference if any between composition regarding fat loss. Period.

Stop relying on cherry picked research that supports the sale of a product and start researching unbiasedly. At least if you're going to be handing out advice.

Your reference to snake oil remindes me of something I recently read. Here's a surprising bit of info about snake oil, the term given to concoctions used to scam tons or gullible people a hundred years ago. I read that some of those preparations actually contained omega 3 oils. Omega 3's, especially those from fish oil, are now proven to reduce inflammation, so it's very likely the at least some of that old fashioned snake oil probably did do some good in regard to helping people feel better!

If you're trying to sell me on the idea that unethical research review and cherry picking carries some good... you're going to have to do better than that.

Thanks for posting that info!

Unfortunately someof those tips are off the mark, such as the one stating that carbs don't make a person fat.

Specifically, how is this inaccurate.

You are suggesting carbs in and of themselves can make one fat. If you don't eat the 'right' kinds of carbs your body won't burn fat.

That is beyond untrue, especially in the face of a hypocaloric diet.

Carbohydrate stimulates insulin production.

So does protein consumption.

Hi Steve,

I post here to share knowledge not to convince anyone of anything. I'm not interested in participating in what I consider to be unfriendly posting exchanges, so I won't be participating in this conversation any longer.

Okay, you can appeal to emotion if you please.

Keep in mind that I'm here to help maintain the integrity of information. If you continue posting as an authority on the subject (see: the dissection of this article), your misinformation is going to be questioned.

It's really for the benefit of the community as a whole. It's not about you or is it about me.

I can't control how you perceive things. But I can control the integrity, so that's what I'll keep doing.

Take care.

Specifically, how is this inaccurate.

You are suggesting carbs in and of themselves can make one fat. If you don't eat the 'right' kinds of carbs your body won't burn fat.

That is beyond untrue, especially in the face of a hypocaloric diet.

So does protein consumption.

I enjoyed reading what Mal posted.

Steve, I have read that insulin production actually reduces serum levels of cortisol, thereby making a person less prone to accumulating fat. Is this actually true?

thank you about the information...especially in coffee.. i am a coffee lover...hehehe..my day is incomplete if i can't drink coffee...thank you

I LIKE TO SPAM

Last edited by a moderator:
But caffeine can help mobilize body fat, marathon runners have made good use of this for many years. So I think myth number 4 is not so much of a myth.

I think the thing is that there is a difference in controlled caffeine use in athletes than the common myth that you should have a cup of coffee before you go to the gym. The amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee doesn't come close to what athletes use as part of their training regime (based on my awareness, anyway, but I'm certainly not an expert). Maybe I misread the article but I thought it was just suggesting that the amount of caffeine most people drink won't produce significant effects especially because the sugar that most people take in coffee outweighs the good.

It's good to clear things up once in a while. sent your sticky on carbs and prots to my dad who just wont believe me when I tell him eating carbs and prot separate doesn't make a poop difference :p
hmm according to energy expenditure with your calculation i get 1750 kcal (3-5x exercise week and weight 115 lbs)... seems a bit low to me. I usually eat 1300 kcal/day and when exercise I go up to 1500-1700, some days I dont diet, and I still loose 2kg/month. hmm

I am not so knowledgeable about this matter. So i have to learn it. Thanks for the post.
- commission de surendettement, vous pouvez demander un dossier de surendettement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back