Sport Diet help. Mreik, anyone?

Sport Fitness
10 cans of tuna.

You'd get around 20g of fat :p

My nutrition process for bulking is quite simple, actually.

I incrementally up my calories above maintenance. Every 2-4 weeks I'll bump up intake based on progress or lack there of.

The composition of that intake consists of 1-1.25 grams of protein per pound of LBM coming primarily from meats, dairy, and a few shakes here and there.

When I'm bulking, I shoot for roughly .5 grams of fat per pound of body weight as a minimum. This is coming primarily from the good stuff, assuring I get adequate essentials in... peanut butter, fish oils, avacados, nuts, olive oil, some flax, etc, etc

Beyond that, it's fair game. My protein intake stays pretty static. I'll eat a ton of carbs to fuel all the increased volume I do while bulking, keeping in mind my caloric limits I've set for myself. And I might bump up fats a bit depending on the day.

I definitely don't fear carbs while bulking though.

I take full advantage of the phase by increasing my workload... and that must be fueled properly.

The 'clean' bulking route never worked well for me. It's hard enough for me to gain weight... so f*%@ worrying if I eat a processed carbohydrate as long as I am getting plenty of the essentials in as well.

I'm not saying I stuff my face with cake. Most of my carb intake comes from whole grains, breads, pastas, rice, fruits and veggies.

Keep in mind that carbs don't make you fat in the face of a caloric deficit... not that you eluded to this. On the flip side, assuming you're getting adequate protein and EFAs and aren't going hog wild on the calories, I think eating a healthy dose of carbs while bulking is a good thing.

In all cases, the best bet is to try to minimize fat gain by eating/bulking smart. Yes, you need to eat over maintenance but given the fact that you can't fast forward muscle growth (naturally), there's no need to eat way over maintenance. You want to find the sweet spot where you're seeing some weight gain, but not gaining too much fat.

And you have to accept the fact that yes, you will gain fat while you bulk.

I'm rambling.... but hopefully you can find something useful out of this. It's what has worked pretty successfully for me.

If you can't get over the carbophobia, you might want to try some cyclical approach where you time your higher carb days around your intense workouts.

Back