Sport Diet help. Mreik, anyone?

Sport Fitness
BTW: RWS, how many g of carbs do you think you eat on off days? I was thinking eating my regular low carb meals like I've been doing now but just adding maybe a banana or something.

Just eat a normal healthy freakin diet!

Maybe I want to experiment, so what? I like trying different things, even if it is a bit of work and everyone else says not to bother, I think stuff like this is fun.

why do you always have to butt in? If you're not here to help, then get out.

Maybe I want to experiment, so what? I like trying different things, even if it is a bit of work and everyone else says not to bother, I think stuff like this is fun.

why do you always have to butt in? If you're not here to help, then get out.

Learning how to manipulate your diet, Karky, is a powerful thing to learn. You rock on with trying to learn different things, and "doing FOR YOU" what "it takes" to get the job you want done, and leaving every one else in the dust--thinking you are obssessed while you are just attempting to bring out the best within yourself.

Chillen

Last edited:
Learning how to manipulate your diet, Karky, is a powerful thing to learn. You rock on with trying to learn different things, and "doing FOR YOU" what "it takes" to get the job you want done, leaving every one else in the dust, and thinking you are obssessed, while you are just attempting to bring out the best of yourself.

Chillen

thanks a lot, Chillen! :D

yeah if I'm gonna eat more I'm gonna have to add carbs, I can't eat any more than I do now with just protein and fat, I tried and it wasn't pretty :p

I want to be strong, but I don't want to be fat.

Wrangell, why would I want to try to figure out my maintenance? The only thing I need to know is how much I need to eat to gain like 0.5kg a week.

If I eat more every week until that happens, then I know where I want to be at. Maintenance doesn't matter, since I'm not planning on maintaining.

I'm not suggesting you ' maintain '. I simply referenced ' maintenance ' as it pertains to being a benchmark.

Earlier you said...

" I'm eating 4000 cals "​

.......so I was simply curious about putting that 4,000 number into context. And, I assume you track your calories / carbs etc. for a reason.

As you know, usually when people are looking to add weight ( or shed fat ), calorie guidelines are put in the context of ' maintenance calories ' - i.e maintenance plus 15%, maintenance plus 20%, maintenance plus 500 calories to add weight. So, if you did determine that given your maintenance was, for example, an estimate of 3,800, then 4,000 represents only a modest bump of 5%. So, it may simply be an indication that you need to consume more calories to optimize your ability to add mass - that's all.

That said, I personally don't believe in counting calories on a long term on-going basis per se. And, I agree with goergen1, " the estimations on maintenance calories are just estimations ".

Last edited:
well I don't mind counting calories, it is not a problem for me, I think it is fun to see what I eat each day. 4k wasn't enough when eating fat, but when eating more carbs I gained weight at about 0.5kg a week. How much above maintenance that means 4k is I don't care, as long as I gain what I want I'm ok.

well I don't mind counting calories, it is not a problem for me, I think it is fun to see what I eat each day.

Fair enough.

Whatever works for you.

4k wasn't enough when eating fat, but when eating more carbs I gained weight at about 0.5kg a week. How much above maintenance that means 4k is I don't care, as long as I gain what I want I'm ok.

Well, it's good to see carbs got you the results you wanted.

I don't know about breakfast yet, that is why I asked the question.

Actually, I was just wondering what you do now as a general rule - i.e when you have a typical breakfast nowadays, do you include carbs ?

Also, a bit of an aside.......curious, how many years have you been weight training now Karky ?

Last edited:
well I used to have carbs before I started the low carb thing, during that I didn't have carbs. Now I'm following massive eating principles, and according to that, on off days you should still have 1-2 insulin spikes during the day, so I'm thinking of going with carbs for breakfast on off days, but not on training days.

I've been training for like 2 years I think.. maybe 2.5

I'm thinking of going with carbs for breakfast on off days, but not on training days.

I would have carbs for breakfast every day. Most BB types I know (as well as myself when I cut weight) eat carbs for breakfast. (actually I eat carbs for breakfast all the time) Usually it is whole oats with protein. I like to have a grapefruit as well.

Carbs are what kick-starts your metabolism in the morning. They are also what your body needs, so its a win-win.

(Matt) why do you always have to butt in? If you're not here to help, then get out.

Noooooo kidding!

BTW: RWS, how many g of carbs do you think you eat on off days? I was thinking eating my regular low carb meals like I've been doing now but just adding maybe a banana or something.

I looked back to my food log and typically it is 75-100g It's pretty much just carbs at breakfast, 1 serving of oatmeal, and then some veggies throughout the day.

About the breakfast thing Karky... breakfast is a catabolic period because we have been fasting all night. The reason to eat carbs is to turn this catabolic period into an anabolic period.

Last edited:
Everything I would have said has already been said so I'll just repeat.

Up your calories. If you're getting around 300g of protein a day then most of the up should come from carbs. And since you're scared of carbs 6hrs after a workout it tells me that you've got a place to put them, along with in the morning. Although I generally agree with G about the strength increase in the higher BF% I don't really recommend it. MOST people, obviously some exceptions here, get very sloppy around that weight and their diet goes to *****. This:
"Basically, energy phase is while training, so sip a P/C drink with 1/2 ratio
Anabolic phase, right after drink with 1/2 ratio PC
Grow phase 4-6 hours after that with more like a 1/1 ratio
then the rest of the day low carb and veggies."

is a pretty good rule to follow. I don't get into the ratios, but my carbs tapper off after a workout. Sometimes pre workout I go with a little caffeine, but you've got to be careful not to have to much because it's shown to decrease insulin sensitivity for a short amount of time. Also note that when you're getting into the higher GI carbs you should steer away from fats, just a trick that will help you avoid unnecessary fat gain.

On a side note, I hope you're using a routine that has worked for you. Because changing both (diet) at the same time and not gaining would leave you to wonder which it was.

I'm using the same routine. I think I'm just gonna go with carbs around workout and follow pretty muc the massive eating guidelines. Dunno if I'll have room for 300g protein when I'm eating more carbs, well, we'll see. what do you mean most of the protein should come from carbs??

I mean assuming that you were already getting around 300g of protein a day, most of your added calories should come from carbs.

But since you're not getting 300g, how many are you getting? Remember you do weigh 220lbs :p

I don't know. This is the first day tracking without the low carb thing, so I guess I'll get maybe 200g.. should I try to get more like 300? I probably need it. I can take down some shakes today if I don't hit it and start eating more meat. I'm all out of chicken, and the cheap chicken is out of stock in the store ATM :(

I can't just eat 300g protein and the rest carbs, the body needs some fat :p

I would be shocked if you could eat 300g of protein without getting any fat. ;)

10 cans of tuna.

Back