The Run Challenge - Burning the Ground!

The Premise

This challenge is open to anyone, at any fitness level. Sign up for a 5k, 10k, half or full marathon, 70.6, 140.6, 211.6, 9000.9, or whatever is appropriate to your power level.

Post a little intro with info on your event and then update here as often or as seldom as you wish, (I'll be updating bi-weekly, myself). At the end of your race, post up your stats and thoughts and bask in the adulation of the people. We can even do up ranks and such according to gender and age group, if anyone's interested, but you're only intended to compete against yourself.

Ok, go! :)

Participants and Results

Coming soon...

Edit: Attached are some .pdfs of training guides by Hal Higdon, by way of Drex (thanks bb!). The last of which I went to the trouble of capturing and converting to pdf for you. That's how much I love you.

More resources to follow, hopefully. Feel free to help with this.

Attachments

• halfnovice.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 5knovice.pdf
    13.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 10knovice.pdf
    8 KB · Views: 176
  • novicemarathon.pdf
    68.5 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmmm interesting Cat.

This is cool, Focus, thanks!

I am signed up for two triathlons, a sprint in Boulder, CO, September 6, an Olympic length on October 18, and am considering another sprint in Silver Springs, FL, next Sunday. The Boulder sprint has a 750m swim, 26 mile bike, and 4 mile run. The Olympic length is standard 1500m swim, 40k bike, and 10k run. The Silver Springs tri is 750m, 13 mile bike and a 5K. All three are wetsuit legal because I am a weak swimmer.

I am 49, male, 6'0" 195# and a two-time cardiac patient, most recently surgery to replace the ascending aorta on April 4, 2008.

I completed a sprint triathlon on June 29, 2008, in Rochester, MN. Drex was there;). My swim was awful (14 minutes for 440 yards), bike was bad (2 flats but only 1 spare) but run was okay for me (29 minutes for 5K).

Since then, my speed and endurance in the water have improved, bike is fine. My standalone 5k time hovers around 27 minutes and I would like to shave a minute or two off that over the next couple of months.

Last edited:
Hi. My name is Jove, I am 22 and I like running.
I have signed up for a half-marathon (13.1 miles) here in my great city-by-the-bay and am a nervous wreck.
My event is Sunday, October 19, 2008

7:00 AM

...so as you can see, I have very little time.
I will start my actually "Training" on Monday.
I can currently run 5 miles comfortably in about fifty minutes...hmm...
I like long walks on the beach....um, no wait...that's for another thread ;)

not sure what you are trying to do here Focus,,, but I am a player so-

Marathon (26.2 mile run) on August 31st
Century Plus -Attack on Sugarloaf (112 ride) in Spetember
Ironman 140.6 (swim 2.4, ride 112, run 26.2) in October 09 The Great Floridian
Marathon 26.2 in Jan 09 (Boston Qualify attempt) Gasparilla
Marathon 26.2 in Los Angeles, CA in Feb 09 LA Marathon
Ironman 70.3 (swim 1.2m ride 56, run 13.1) on April 5, 2009 The GATOR

those are the events I can confirm at this moment.

What are you doing with this info? You can com,e to each of them and take pictures of my butt for you other thread if you would like ;) that is if you can keep up long enough to get the picture taken :D

sweat daily
FF

p.s. and I like cult classic movies, trance music, my calves being rubbed, showering as a couple, peeing in public, and pure honesty about what feels good or not. hehehehe for the other thread ;)

Last edited:
OMyLordINHeaven!

:eek:
Marathon (26.2 mile run) on August 31st
Century Plus -Attack on Sugarloaf (112 ride) in Spetember
Ironman 140.6 (swim 2.4, ride 112, run 26.2) in October 09 The Great Floridian
Marathon 26.2 in Jan 09 (Boston Qualify attempt) Gasparilla
Marathon 26.2 in Los Angeles, CA in Feb 09 LA Marathon
Ironman 70.3 (swim 1.2m ride 56, run 13.1) on April 5, 2009 The GATOR

You are an animal!!!!! What is your secret to this kind of Stamina!!!

Ps. Calve Rubs, hmm? I'd like to try one of those...then, only then, can I be honest about it feeling good or not...;)

Count me in

5 mile race...8/09/08
triatholon.....9/14/08

I'll find some more to participate in... but these are the races I'm already rehistered for. Good luck everyone and happy running!!

Do any of you runners run before race day? I've heard mixed advice about running the day before a race. Some runners say a slow pace before race day keeps them limber and other runners avoid running at all before race day. Just curious to hear how other runners train. Last 5K race I completed in 25 min. Not great. Running tomorrow in a race and hoping to complete the 5 mile run in under 40 minutes. Because of this I've decided to run tonight a short, slow distance. We'll see tomorrow how this works out!!

Good luck Jove on your half marathon. I understand the nervous thing. I get that way just with a 5K. But as you know when you begin to run the nerves disappear and its pure exhileration. I ran my first 13.1 and had such tremendous excitement and pride for my accomplishment that it took days for me to calm down. Nerves before a race are a good thing... gets the endorphins and adrenaline going. Gotta love it!

2008 Schedule --

Completed:

3/29/08 - IM Oceanside 70.3 Half Ironman - 5:16
4/26/08 - Nashville Half Marathon - 1:34
5/18/08 - Auburn - World's Toughest Half Ironman - 6:11
6/22/08 - Ironman Coeur d'Alene - 10:59

To Be Completed:

8/24/08 - Escape from the Rock Triathlon
9/21/08 - Santa Cruz Sentinel Olympic Distance Triathlon
10/5/08 - Rock and Roll Half Marathon
11/9/08 - Silverman iron-distance Triathlon
12/7/08 - California International Marathon

2009 Schedule --

4/04/09 - IM Oceanside 70.3 Half Ironman
7/26/09 - Ironman Lake Placid

2008 Schedule --

Completed:

To Be Completed:

2009 Schedule --

I just read every single one of your posts. I am embarrassed that I have not noticed you. i spend a bit on time jerking around on here, and the rest talking.

I am a bit pissed that you have not made any suggestion on my training and workouts.

i also find it interesting that you wait until something like this- tell us your "future" events- and you show us fantastic results from your past.

5:16 is a great time
sub 11 for 140.6 is HUUUUUUGE especially at a new event like C'orude-- did you qualify for Kona?

it is hard for me to decide if i am pissed because you have been flying undercover, or if i am grateful you finally revealed yourself ;)

BUT i do know this!!! Muchoooooooo R.E.S.P.E.C.T. from me, FF.

i have 2 journals- current(goes back a lil bit) http://training.fitness.com/journal/derwyddon-flyinfree-experiment-stupid-34972.html

this one is from my start in this quest
http://training.fitness.com/journal/performance-not-enough-25081.html

and here is my event record and pics journal-
http://training.fitness.com/photo-gallery/flyinfree-headed-ironman-26920.html

give me a once over and help me please.

or don't-- but I hope you will.

I do know this- You have what i want.

there ya go!

namaste!
welcome to the forum!
start a journal and let's play!
join mine?
do you log your workouts on a site anywhere?

PM coming!

Sweat Daily (hhahaha like you don't)
FF

how old are you?

Good luck Jove on your half marathon. I understand the nervous thing. I get that way just with a 5K. But as you know when you begin to run the nerves disappear and its pure exhileration. I ran my first 13.1 and had such tremendous excitement and pride for my accomplishment that it took days for me to calm down. Nerves before a race are a good thing... gets the endorphins and adrenaline going. Gotta love it!

Awesome Tracy! I'll work with those nerves just as you did!!

2008 Schedule --

Completed:

To Be Completed:

2009 Schedule --

Sheesh! God's speed to you! That's incredible!!!

oh shooot!

I just notice i put Oct 09 for the 140.6 Great Floridain. i meant 08. I am 12 weeks out.

and Jovegirl! ummmmmk :p

Wow. I think FF fell in love.

blush*** hahahahaa

yup!

I met a skydiver and i am a pro now. I met a race car driver, and i build a car and raced, i met a BASE jumper and i jumped, i met an ironman and i am in pursuit. i do not have pride. I have desire. And when you have what i want, you have me to deal with. Or I cna be rejected. then i will just find another "one." hehehhhee

sorta like me and you eh Phate --- c'mere and kiss me!

Back