The Run Challenge - Burning the Ground!

I'm hoping to sign up for 5k soon! What is a good time that I should try to hit? This will be my first ever type of race and Im a beginner at the whole running thing, I finally got able to do a mile without walking LOL

For your first 5K I wouldn't be so concerned about your time but just finishing the race with a smile. I'm not sure what your training regimen has been so its hard to say what a good time should be for you. For your first 5K ever and if you just started running I would shoot for even a 10 minute mile. But if you run an 11 min. mile thats okay too! The point being that your out there!! Runners have great comraderie with each other and are very encouraging, I think you'll find that the sport of running even when racing is a lot of fun. Good luck and keep us posted!

Tracyclang has it right... you want to go in with the idea that finishing is the goal. Enjoy it, enjoy the energy of everyone else, and get a feel for what it's all about. You can always do another with a time goal in mind. And if you take it easy on the first one, you can set a PR on the second attempt. :)

I envy you guys and gals that can do that many races/triathlons etc.! I think running 30-40 miles a week is a lot, but not in comparison.

I have a few 5-8-10k's coming up every weekend for the next few months, working my way up to a half marathon.

11 minutes for sure sounds do able, I can do it in 15 mins now, but thats with walking for the first 5 minutes, so once I run that, I should be all good to go :)

Yeah my trainer is crazy nuts with running, she did the Boston Marathon recently and got in 1st place for Arizona womens!! I forgot her exact time, but she did a great job.

I'm hoping to sign up for 5k soon! What is a good time that I should try to hit? This will be my first ever type of race and Im a beginner at the whole running thing, I finally got able to do a mile without walking LOL

Don't do what I did my first few 5ks, don't start at the head of the pack. I would start up there thinking that I could get a good pace going. Instead, I tried to keep up with the seasoned 6 minute mile runners and was exhausted after the second mile. I quickly learned to run at my pace instead of trying to run at someone else's pace.

Normally when I do this, I end up passing the people who started off quick and burned out early.

This thread has totally inspired me!

I signed up for a Kickball Tournament on Saturday! :p

Does that count?;)

:yelrotflmao:

I don't care what you do, bb. As long as you do something. <3

Also, guys, I will get that image of the roster or whatever it's called done up in a bit. Very rushy rushy lately. Awesome @ everyone who's participating. There's nothin' to it but to do it. :D

For your first 5K I wouldn't be so concerned about your time but just finishing the race with a smile. I'm not sure what your training regimen has been so its hard to say what a good time should be for you. For your first 5K ever and if you just started running I would shoot for even a 10 minute mile. But if you run an 11 min. mile thats okay too! The point being that your out there!! Runners have great comraderie with each other and are very encouraging, I think you'll find that the sport of running even when racing is a lot of fun. Good luck and keep us posted!

Also, this. And everyone else who agreed.

Don't listen to that friggen Morrison. Or was it Kurt. Anyway, it's not about burning out. It's about fading slow and sweet. <3 Run it like you're flying through the clouds, and you'll never want to stop. Over time, you will find yourself flying fast.

Seriously, the man was on a lot of drugs. Either one of them. XD

Last edited:
Well, that's it...!

I want to run now!

Screw my ankle, I'll put a support on it and give running a go on Saturday's workout session and see how it goes.

I will come back and give you a report, Mr. Focus.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Eric

Kickball yesterday was fun, and hot, and long! I ran a lot, not consecutively of course, but had a good 7 hours in the bright, hot sun to kick and chase after balls...I am happiest that aside from some sunburn on my face, my body is not toast like it would have been had I not started training. I am happy that I feel "worked out" but able to go back after it again today!

OK, I just had to post that little update before FF comes back with stories about a REAL athletic event! ha ha

that sounds like so much funnnnnn!!!!!

Back