Running: A New Endeavor

really!!! then you are not getting enough blood in there for fluid movement and recovery. Do you take any supplement with niacin in them? It may also be COOOOOOOLLLD! hmmmm... never mind- things have trended better, so I will stop talking now.

post a pic of your blood and we can analyze it :rolleyes:

LOL, the only supplements I take are: a multi, vitamin C, Fish oil, Move Free and Saw Palmetto

I was able to do 4K this morning before my IT band started to flare up a little. That's worlds better than a week ago...I couldn't do 1K. I think the massaging, stretches and the wrap I bought are helping. The pain takes longer to set in, isn't as severe and it doesn't linger as long after I stop running.

FF, I didn't put 2 and 2 together when you mentioned circulation around my knee...but I had MRSA in that leg about 3 years ago. I know it did a little nerve damage, who knows what else it may have done.

Also, I'm really excited because my wife went on her first run yesterday and lifted. She did such a great job losing weight after our last child was born and now she wants to get physically fit again.

I did 4k again on Tuesday and today I had to stay inside on the elliptical...my wife is out of town again and I can't just leave my kids at home alone while I run. I ran for 50 minutes at a little better than 10mm pace on level 14 of 16. I wanted to do an hour, but started to feel the ol' ITB pain at about 47 minutes. If I push it too far the pain lingers and I set myself back. If I know when to quit it stops hurting right after running and I can go a little further next time

I haven't been on here a lot in the last few days but I just wanted to check in.

I've been feeling really good physically. Friday was the first day I felt really strong in the gym since I got sick a few weeks back. Today I was really strong again. It's nice to see my weights and reps actually going up. I'm eating at a surplus right now so I think that has a lot to do with it. Right after the stomach virus thing I was down to 180.6, this morning I was 186.8.

Hopefully this newfound strength will translate well to my running tomorrow. I also tweaked one of my stretches a little and I really feel it stretching out that IT band a lot more.

My wife is really getting into running now too. I have to be careful or she's going to pass me up! :) We're going to run together on Saturday.

That Thursday run killed me, but on Saturday I had no pain. I started using a foam roller and it has done wonders. I'm crossing my fingers for my run tomorrow. My wife was with me Sat so we just went about 2.5 miles. I'm going to go for 5 tomorrow and hopefully the pain won't come back. If not, I'm ready for a long run!!!!

That Thursday run killed me, but on Saturday I had no pain. I started using a foam roller and it has done wonders. I'm crossing my fingers for my run tomorrow. My wife was with me Sat so we just went about 2.5 miles. I'm going to go for 5 tomorrow and hopefully the pain won't come back. If not, I'm ready for a long run!!!!

Careful on the "long run". Not sure what distance you are planning, but it is recommended that you don't increase weekly milage by more than 10% per week. Bigger jumps can lead to injury. Looking good!

Gooch, your improvements on the run are extremely impressive. Keep up the good work!

How's the housing market in Cincy? I wish you luck with selling your house so your family can reconsolidate.

Richard

It's pretty bad. We're really hoping someone gives us an offer soon. We have the house picked out that we want in MN and it's looking like they will accept our offer (it's bank owned and they take their sweet time)

Thanks for asking, I hope this nightmare is over soon

I went 5 miles this morning, but I had some pain. It was better, but I started feeling it toward the end. Maybe I'll just do 5 again Sat.

It's kind of frustrating because I bet I could do 10 miles stamina-wise, It's just this damn IT band.

Oh well, the foam roller is doing wonders so I'll keep it up.

This weekend is The Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati. I'm certainly not ready for the main event yet, but I think I'm going to enter one of the shorter races. They are accepting late entries. If my wife wants to participate I think we'll do the 5K together. Otherwise I might tackle the 10K

staying ion the game it's the GOOOOOOOOOOOCH

gimme a g
gimme a o

Take it easy over there, you are still debating stretching, so 10 mm pace max regardless of race distance.

and remember to get us some pictures. It would be cool to see your lady too. But we can PM so the swickos don't print her out and put her on their ceilings!

hahahaha
yes, I said that out loud.

FF

Good luck on the run Gooch!

My friend I posted about in the lounge that won the Million Pound Matchup will be running the 5k at the Flying Pig as well. I wish I had the time to get out there and participate with you guys.

staying ion the game it's the GOOOOOOOOOOOCH

gimme a g
gimme a o

Take it easy over there, you are still debating stretching, so 10 mm pace max regardless of race distance.

and remember to get us some pictures. It would be cool to see your lady too. But we can PM so the swickos don't print her out and put her on their ceilings!

hahahaha
yes, I said that out loud.

FF

No problem, 10 mm is about all I can do at this point:D I'm not stretching before, I'll probably do some after because my back gets a little tight when I run.

When lifting yesterday I did dynamic before and static after. It hit me that that's basically what we did in karate class when I trained. We started out with easy, deliberate kicks, punches, rotations then did "long stretches" when class was over. I might do the same warm ups we did then when I lift.

I had another question about stretching actually. A lot of people say not to stretch cold. so what should I do if I'm just sitting watching TV and my back feels a little tight? It's detrimental to just stretch it out?

Last edited:
I have lower back issues since that hard landing.

Each night, EVERY NIGHT, I sit on the edge of my bed and stretch each hammy, on it's own for 3 long deep stretching exhales. I can almost rest my chest down on my leg, after over a year of this.

For me, it was the tight hamstrings that were compressing my back.

I have no trouble at all.

also, I "used to be" a stomach sleeper, and have changed that. By pinching a pillow, or one of my honey's legs, between my knees as I go to sleep, it keeps my legs bent, so that I will not roll to my tummy.

Sometimes I wake up on my stomach, and I am like "UH OH!!" so I slowly stretch my hammies. And as they start top stretch, I can drop my chin, and feel it slide thru my lower back.

for your hip flexors, that pull on IT bands learn the pigeon pose, and you can work on that with the kids on the floor, or while watching T.V.

FF

I'll try that. I also LOVE the foam roller. I have a whole routine.

Do you think it's necessarily bad to stretch right after running?

I always stretch after running.

If I don't, I will have nervous calves for an hour or longer - meaning calves that are about to cramp.

After running, when my knees are HOT, is also the ONLY time, other than spin class, that I stretch my quads.

and on that, when stretching my quads, I only grab the top of my foot, not the toes, and I do the stretch with a split, or opening, between my knees and then as it stretches I bring my knees closer together. Standing up.

once it is nice and loose, then I will blanace on that one foot, and hold the quad stretch as I toe touch with the other hand downward.

IT IS SO EASY TO STRETCH a nice big muscle at the expense of the connecting joints.

oh, and Gooch! Stop asking for opinions, and incorporate your brain in your stretching. Think about YOUR body, and how it works, and take care of it.

she3eeeesh-- now, go get me some water already....!
hehehehe
:jump1:
FF

Well my brain told me to stretch as often as possible and that would help keep me free from injury so my brain told me wrong!

The only real problems I have right now are: 1My neck-that bastard is always tense (it might have a lot to do with stress at the moment, but it happens off and on all the time)
2 My right IT band, but that is getting better with my foam roller and hopefully will improve even faster with my new stretching routine.

I like to stretch my back, you know the old touch your toes (I know, the jokes are too easy) a few times a day to keep loose. Is it a problem to do this cold?

I obsess about things, that's what I do. Haven't you learned that yet?:D

Last edited:
Back