Running: A New Endeavor

Of course!! LOL THANKS G8R80!!!

That's a mistake I'm glad to see pointed out:)

How is your recovery going? You'd probably smoke me right now wouldn't you?:yelrotflmao:

No worries, Mate! Recovery is going fine. Biking is just about where it was, swimming may be further along than it was, but running is way off. I am well over a minute / mile slower than before. I guess it was the time off, but I don't know why the time off didn't affect the cycling or swimming as much.:confused:

For me, nothing is like running, it doesn't surprise me it's first to go. Just cycling for fun, I progressed really fast, I went on a 48 mile ride after just a couple months, but you can't just will yourself to run faster and further, it takes sooo much more work...at least for me

WTF, I checked my results for the race and they had me listed at 31:02, right at 10 mm pace. That's not what the clock said when I passed it. I was 89 out of 230. Oh well, at this stage that's not that much difference.

Supposedly a 2 year old male beat me LOL, I'm guessing he was the one in the stroller. A 7 year old beat me fair and square though LMAO!!

Damn, the winner was 16:14....5:14 pace.

Last edited:
WTF, I checked my results for the race and they had me listed at 31:02, right at 10 mm pace. That's not what the clock said when I passed it. I was 89 out of 230. Oh well, at this stage that's not that much difference.

Supposedly a 2 year old male beat me LOL, I'm guessing he was the one in the stroller. A 7 year old beat me fair and square though LMAO!!

Damn, the winner was 16:14....5:14 pace.

I am sooo glad for you being you! It makes me feel sooo much better about being me! :rolleyes:

31:02 is a good time. Especially for a new runner. I remember when one of my major goals was to finish a 5K in less than thirty and then to maybe someday finish a 10K in less than 60.

You have been running for less than 6 months and with focus you could do both those goals within another 30 days.

great work!
FF

Thanks, glad to be an inspiration:yelrotflmao:

Yeah, I feel pretty good about it actually. Especially since out of the 3 months I've been running I battled the IT band for 2 of them. If you told me I'd even finish a 5K a year ago I'd have laughed at you. I could lift heavy weights, but I got tired just walking a mile or so in my neighborhood.

P.S, on the IT band thing..I'm a new man, no pain anymore, but I already completely trashed my foam roller and had to get a new one. It was shaped like an hourglass. Does anyone have one that doesn't wear out as fast? What brand?

Last edited:
I already completely trashed my foam roller and had to get a new one. It was shaped like an hourglass. Does anyone have one that doesn't wear out as fast? What brand?

WOW you must've really worked that thing over :D I don't own one but I use one at the gym they got from the physical therapy place thats hooked up next to the gym. Its a beautiful thing-Its invaluable with the IT band and the periformis.

Went canoing today. Had fun, but in the process of flipping over into the river I lost my very first race T-shirt and $160 sunglasses:bncry:

Nice one, my brother does fun boating and I used to do a little bit as well until he got too good and I was an embarassment to him!

Hey g8r80. You once mentioned you had a big ol' melon like mine. Can you recommend some good running sunglasses that will fit me?

I've been looking at Nike Odeons online but if they are like most sunglasses they will be too small.

Hey g8r80. You once mentioned you had a big ol' melon like mine. Can you recommend some good running sunglasses that will fit me?

I've been looking at Nike Odeons online but if they are like most sunglasses they will be too small.

Yeah, I do have a big melon. I am a big fan of Bolle. I have two pairs, Turbulence, with dark lenses and interchangeable yellow lenses, and Slipstream for cycling with yellow lenses. My face is wide and my melon is big but both Bolles fit great.

I bought both pairs at which has a very good return policy. Nashbar has the Turbulence for $59.99, supposedly regular price is $119 in addition to some other models in the Bolle line.

Sorry to hear about your other glasses falling to the bottom of the river...

I tried the Bolles, Oakleys, Arnettes, and a few Nikes as well as some similar to my old Ray-Bans, but for me the Maui Jim Sport line felt perfect. I got the Maui Jim Makahas

Last edited:
7 miles this morning...my longest yet.

Next Saturday I'm doing a 5K. It should be cool. It's called The Redlegs Run for Home. The finish line is home plate at Great American Ballpark (Cincinnati Reds) and it supports the Reds community fund.

Next I'll do a 10K, but I haven't sorted out where or when yet.

8 Miles this AM....We're starting to get some heat, but it's not too bad. I like to run early anyway.

Tomorrow's the 5K. I need to schedule a 10K since I already run much more than that on my long days.

I checked the tracking # on my Garmin. It's in Ohio. I should get it tomorrow or Monday

Hell no, I was 6 seconds slower than last time (31:08)

This was my first crowded run (2500) participants. You had to really maneuver to get around people. At the finish line I was practically sprinting and almost plowed into some people.

Running longer than I ever have the day before probably didn't help either, but I didn't want to miss my long run this week

Last edited:
Well, Gooch, if it makes you feel any better, that is about as long as it takes me now to do a 5K (I was about 4 minutes faster pre-surgery). Actually, now that I think about it, having the same time as someone 16 years older and 2 months removed from open heart surgery probably doesn't make you happy...:(

You'll continue to improve! Stay with it!

I'm charging up my Garmin as we speak. I'm like a little kid right now LOL

Back