Triathlon Training - Summer 2009

Hello folks,

My first post on this wonderful site, i'll have a good read the advice etc soon! i thought i would come here and ask the experts advice.

A personal goal of mine is to complete a Triathlon. I am quite fit, can do most cardio without much problems and feel i could train effectively and complete a Triathlon IF...... i could get my hands on some sort of program which i know is going to benefit me and help me out.

I have a decent road bike, an Olympic size swimming pool nearby and many many places to complete long distance runs.

So thats the reason for my post, can anyone help me in pointing towards a Triathlon training program which would help get me in Traithlon shape for 2009?

Thanks,
Pete

Welcome to the world of triathlons. There are several of us who have completed them (Flyinfree is prepping for a 140.6, tsilcyc is an Ironman veteran, Sparrow, Focus and I are prepping for 70.3s next year, Drex completed a tri recently. I did three sprints this year after open heart surgery in April.

There are various training programs out there. Here are some to investigate: . Active.com has some, but they are not free:

Triathlon program + content

Hey Pete -

Go to mypypeline.com and Search James Greenwood (MPL Triathlon Coach)- they have a bunch of resources from training programs, to MP4 training downloads, to FREE stretch resources - pretty awesome site.

If you need more assistance with any aspect of your training, let me know

James Greenwood
Exercise Scientist and Triathlon Coach

Last edited:
Many thanks for the quick replies. I am going to start having a look at these sites and see what i can come up with. I think during the winter season (certainly in UK anyway) my plan is to increase my fitness no end. Make sure i am in tip top shape prior to beginning a triathlon plan.

Would something like 50 lengths of a 25m pool, 1 hour on a static road bike and 1 hour of treadmill running be good for an off season plan?

Would something like 50 lengths of a 25m pool, 1 hour on a static road bike and 1 hour of treadmill running be good for an off season plan?

Yeah, those are good distances for sprint training and probably will be sufficient for Olympic length as all three are close to Olympic length distances.

What is your frequency for these efforts? Every day? Once / week? All on the same day, two / day, one / day, etc...

Until i get a plan together and have a look at what i need to improve on i will keep doing the above. It will be about every two days i will be able to do this, certainly the road bike and the running part of it.

The pool in my sports complex is always booked out etc so it is difficult to use. I'm really pumped and up for doing this training..... Do you think that i would benefit from doing these hours on the road bike and treadmill then?

Thanks again.

Back