The 21 Day Club

I actually tried a beginner's zumba video today just to get a better sense of it. I did have a good laugh at my sorry attempt to get even the simplest of steps right! I might try again as I like the idea of dance...

I'll bet that you were actually better than you realised... Non-dancers seem to start with an assumption of not being able to dance... Its all about having fun... If you moved and had fun - you were doing it.

I fully agree with you about finding a form of exercise we enjoy. I gave up zumba initially after a knee injury - and when my knee got better I wanted my knees ok for partnered dance eg salsa.. I can actually feel my left knee strengthening with this process of trying to get back to being zumba fit.

Well done for doing your days 16, 17 and 18 - you are getting to near day 21 yourself :hurray:

Saturday day 4 and Sunday day 5 done - 16 tracks.

Saturday had to be split as we had to go out - so I did 12 tracks before we went out and 4 when we got back.
It was otherwise minor breaks.

same playlist as before
Arrebatate, cake by the ocean, Mueve La Colita, compania, umbrella, Los campeones de la salsa, la colegiala, belly dancer, uptown funk, moves like Jagger, Danza Da Maozinha, wake me up before you go go, Aceite Agua yo soy una guagua, timber, run run run, fireball

I fully agree with you about finding a form of exercise we enjoy. I gave up zumba initially after a knee injury - and when my knee got better I wanted my knees ok for partnered dance eg salsa.. I can actually feel my left knee strengthening with this process of trying to get back to being zumba fit.
Oh yes so hard when injuries make us stop. I've recently taken up running after many attempts in previous years where I always had to quit due to knee and ankle issues. So far so good this round. That is so great that your knee seems to be strengthening with this process of getting zumba fit!!
Lovely work on the weight loss too--34.5 pounds! that's great!

I did complete yesterday's Day 20--stretching 20 minutes, piano 30 minutes...will need to check in later about today's day 21....

day 21 complete!!
piano 20 minutes
stretching 20 minutes

Not sure what next if anything...on the one hand this 21 day idea is great because no matter how i felt each day i got the stretching and piano done, but I'm not sure if I could stay committed beyond these 21 days...will have to think about it I guess.

Well done on completing your day 20 and day 21. You have done really well to complete your 21 days.

I hope you think of something to do for another 21 days.

I completed my day 6 Monday, day 7 Tuesday and day 8 Wednesday.
I used the same tracks and have tried to minimise my pauses for water.

Well i did take day 22 off and actually enjoyed not feeling obligated to stretch or play piano! I take these kind of commitments so seriously! lol!
Anyhow i have decided to sign up for the next 21 days because I really do need to stay committed to this. Same challenge.
21 days stretching--15 minutes, 21 days playing piano at least one song each day :)

Its great that you have decided to commit for another 21 days. :party::party::party:

Its amazing how something as simple as this pricks on our conscience and makes us do what we already want to do (but might skip)...

I have done my day 9 Thursday.
Same tracks

My other big news that is linked to this is that the Zumba group that I used to go to is starting zumba lessons 1 hour long at a gym next week. I have joined the gym and we have booked onto the sessions next Monday and Friday.

Getting booked onto the lessons is far from easy as you cannot just drop in (like you used to do) and they are limiting the numbers severely so that they can ensure adequate ventilation and social distancing of 2 metres at all times).

I have practiced driving to the gym too so the plan is coming together nicely...

On top of that - a friend of mine is booking a hall for a limited entry salsa lesson about an hour long.
He is only going to allow 5 couples and full social distancing and no changes of partners.
My husband and I have booked to be one of the couples - so we will actually dance salsa for an hour and see a few friends...
Heaven knows how I will cope with parking for that as it is in town - but we'll go and I'll try...

My other big news that is linked to this is that the Zumba group that I used to go to is starting zumba lessons 1 hour long at a gym next week.
Wonderful Omega! that'll be fun to be with others in a group again I'm sure--and now you're all ready to go with all your at home practice! Lovely!
Wonderful also about the Salsa dance beginning again!

Heaven knows how I will cope with parking for that as it is in town - but we'll go and I'll try...
I was just reading through your diary a bit and see that you are just re-learning to drive after a long time off. way to go! I have my license but never drive but always think it's good to have in case i need it one day. I had to drive a few years back and had a terrible time trying to park. It was pretty funny :) Hope you fare better than me!

My next set of day 21 is begun!
Day 1 complete--30 minutes stretch, 30 minutes of piano.

Ok I'm glad I found this thread. 21 days doesn't seem too long! I mean, it goes past in the blink of an eye, right?! Here are mine:

- Stick to 3 meals a day (barring days where I skate 3 hours and need en route energy gels, etc.). No restrictions on what food or how much (I'm down to my final 10 lb - have been since April).
- Practice trumpet & clarinet 20 mins each. I need this SO much. Missing playing gigs so badly. Stopped playing instruments. Got sad.

Lovely to have another member MsBubbles! Fun that we are both wanting to practice our instruments :)I'm a beginner for piano. What kind of music do you play?
Day 2 for me
Stretching 30 minutes
Piano 30 minutes

Liza - Well done for completing days 1 and 2. :hurray:
Also for checking up on me and seeing what a big deal me the driving to the gym and salsa is going to be... All I can say is that driving is not easy after a gap of 34 years of no driving... I'm doing my best - but it is so very stressful - and it is certainly not a time to take public transport...

Bubbles - Its fantastic that you have decided to join us here. Well done for getting down to the last 10 pounds... I well remember how time can seem to drag at that stage... Sodium was my killer at that time... Something had crept into my food plan and gone un-noticed... Took me ages to sort out... Its a great idea for you to put some focus on bringing music back into your life. We all feel better about ourselves if we make time for something that we love.

We make a great group - two musicians and a dancer. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::party::party::party:

Time for a catch-up.
I did my day 10 Friday yesterday - same playlist with minimal breaks
I have also done my day 11 today (Saturday) - I stuck to the same playlist - but did it in two parts like last Saturday. I had to drive my husband to his friend's house - I did part before we went and finished them off on our return.

I don't yet dare drive by myself (even though I have full license so would be legal to do so).

We make a great group - two musicians and a dancer.
:beerchug::party:

All I can say is that driving is not easy after a gap of 34 years of no driving... I'm doing my best - but it is so very stressful
Yes I can imagine it would be stressful! I hope it starts to feel easier for you. Yes too bad about the pandemic making public transit risky now. I have actually wondered if it's time for me to get a car (which would also mean re-learning to drive as well) But I can actually walk to everything I need to get to so for now my world's just gotten a little smaller.

Day 3 complete for me--piano 20 minutes, stretching 20 minutes

day 4 complete--piano 20, stretching 20
was very tempting to skip piano but once i got my obligatory 1 song in, I found it easy to fit a few more in :)

Well done for completing days 3, 4, and 5 :party:

Its been a busy couple of days for me...

Day 12 Sunday done - same playlist and minimal breaks

Day 13 Monday done - a real 1 hour zumba class on day 1 of the gym re-opening.

I was so pleased that I have done this as training as I was able to do the whole hour - only pausing to take a mouthful of water between tracks the same as everyone else in the class.

The gym / zumba was particularly well organised. At reception everyone was asked to use sanitizer. The route was marked on the floor (although we knew it) and waiting places were marked in the corridor outside the room so you could wait to go in with appropriate distancing. On the floor there were crosses taped on the floor and there was about 2.5 to 3 metres between each cross. It was in a big sports hall so extremely well ventilated for the amount of people that they were limiting the class size to. Everyone had to leave the hall through a fire exit - so there was no passing anyone coming into the building. Everything was so well organised and thought through that we were comfortable to take off the masks that we had put on to go into the building.

We were both so pleased that we had gone. It was lovely seeing some of our friends.

Day 14 Tuesday done - same playlist and minimal breaks

Did it late afternoon before the salsa class... I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a few salsa friends and dancing salsa for the first time since March... You simply cannot dance it on carpet or on the pieces of vinyl taped together... You'd trip on the joins... I need a dance room at home... It was great fun even though I could only dance with my husband. The hall had been marked off into 5 mini dance floors and each couple had to dance on their own floor spaces... Again - it was well organised - and virus appropriate.

Day 15 Wednesday done - same playlist and minimal breaks
Day 16 Thursday done - same playlist and minimal breaks

I am nearing 21 again so am thinking how I am going to play with this to ring the changes...

I have noticed that I am drinking diet cola or flavoured water while I am doing zumba and salsa - where when I was thinner and fitter I always used to have plain water at such times... My liquid intake is fine - but I am having precious little plain water...

I am going to continue with the same quantity of zumba - but am planning on making sure that I drink at least 1 litre of plain water a day...
A fair proportion of that should be managed while I do an hour of zumba - so it does connect together...

I am not at day 21 yet so have a few more days to savour my sweetened drinks at such times...

Great to hear that the classes went well and felt well-organized and safe. A dance room at home sounds like a great idea since bth you and your husband are into it. That would be good to be able to get in extra dance time.
Day 6 and 7 got piano and stretching in. Early on in day 8 today and have gotten my stretches in post-run. I'll get to piano later. I am finding this set of 21 days is easier than the last set for actually enjoying the stretching and piano time. I hope this will become an easy habit for me as i can well see the benefits of both!
Water sounds like a good 21 day plan--i'm having no trouble there lately as it's so hot here so I'm drinking a ton. I like a small dose of pure lemon juice in my water to make it extra thirst quenching :)

Well done on completing days 6 and 7, plus starting day 8.

I got my day 17 Friday done. I did a live zumba class at the gym.

I haven't done my zumba for today yet... I'm currently resting my legs after a ton of walking this morning... My pedometer is on 19,491 for the day so far and I haven't started my zumba... Hopefully I'll get to it...

We're convinced that we'll get a dance room eventually - but it is difficult making any changes with a 97 year old in the house... I definitely want a dance room though.

Days 8, 9, and 10 complete :)

barely got piano in today but it helps when i know it's just one song i have to play--little excuse to skip that!

Well done on completing days 8,9, and 10.

I did get round to doing my day 18 zumba (same tracks) after I sat down for a couple of hours...

I can imagine that hot weather will help your water consumption... Our weather in the north-east of England is far from ideal. It happens to be a bright sunny morning today - but tomorrow could easily be dull and wet. Lets put it like this - its August and we've had the central heating on high and wanted the electric blanket on at night during the past fortnight...

Back