What motivates you? Looking for inspiration.

angelboy

I’ve been struggling with my weight for well over two decades now. Every time I have a stressful life event I’ll put on a huge amount of weight. In the last decade, I’ve stopped smoking, been made redundant, lost my business with all my money, lost my Mum and nearly lost my son during heart surgery. All this equated to 10 stone in weight to an already 10 stone overweight man!

I’ve managed to lose a few stone over the last few months using a variety of diets but I always seem to fall back into old habits. I’m fully educated about food - you don’t diet for 20 years and not understand what’s healthy and what’s not! I find it hard to get motivated to exercise because when you’re this big you’re exhausted all the time so you need an almost super strength just to crack on with a normal day never mind extra effort to exercise.

The one thing that I keep coming back to, the thing that I’ve just not managed to crack, is my head!

So my question is this, what is YOUR primary motivation to want to lose weight AND keep it off? I want to know the thing that burns into your brain and keeps you on track. Something that you picture in your mind to remind you of what you're trying to achieve when you might be at your weakest. Maybe you have a few different things that you try to keep focused on and maybe they change given different circumstances in your life.

For me, I’m getting to an age where I know that some serious health issues are right around the corner unless I do something about it now. Back in my 20’s I wanted to look good to others (never managed it though!). Clothes don’t bother me much anymore, although I’d like to buy jeans and suits instead of black jogging pants and black shirts! I feel like I’m capable of so much more but my weight is holding me back - it’s zapping my confidence and I know I’m better than what I’m allowing myself to be.

What keeps you motivated?

My motivation is the desire to feel good in my own skin and have fewer joint issues, more energy and more zest for life.

Adding friends on the app. It is really nice to get a thumb up or comment about how well you did after a good day or a work out. And seeing how others are doing and supporting them even in this tiny way makes me more motivated, too.

Buy a nice piece of clothing from the second hand store that I am close to fitting into/am just barely fitting into. Keeps me wanting to reach this very attainable next step goal of fitting well into new trousers.

DON'T have forbidden foods. Just make the decision to eat something more of a mental, thought-out one. I ask myself questions" "Will this fit into my calorie goal?" " If not, are you ready to put in extra exercise to get it in there?" " Do you really truly think this will make you feel good or will you regret eating this later?" "Is there something healthier that would hit the spot, too, that you could have instead?" - So, my decision to eat something no longer is just a mindless, split-second one. This leads to sometimes deciding overeating is worth it that day, but most of the time staying in my calorie goal.
And i read fitness blogs and magazines; looking at perfect people can motivate more!! LINK REMOVED runs a pretty blog about health (and i like him not only because of his name!) and i find some motivation at LINK REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ellydragon Linking to your own spam on the sister forum to this one is a new tactic I have not seen before but linking to your own supplement sales page is not new or creative.

While you are a welcome member of the forum here, spam links are not.

Back