The 2008 Beijing Olympic Games

Yea i know, we just came second in the Semi's after Jamaica.

But now theyre saying we might be disqualified.

Nah, we have been disqualified, only fair really, that was the biggest balls up I've ever seen

But the US women are out too, dropped the batton as well

Childish giggle of the day - One of the women in the German Kayak team that just won gold is called Fanny Fischer :D

Another one of the team posed for German Playboy, google Nicole Reinhardt ;)

Last edited:
I'm watching a Chinaman firght an Irishman in the boxing right now, a very even contest somehow standing at 8-0 to China

The judging at this games is so partisan to the Chinese it's embarrassing to watch

God, I'm so sick of watching VB. I'm glad it's over. The grading for Oly boxing is stupid. All the judges need to press a button at the same time to give the point to whoever. The white part of the glove needs to touch the head of the opponent to earn a point. So the crowd can very easily sway the judges. If there is a Chinese fighter who is getting in good shots, a quick and uproarious applause will cause the judges to say, "Oh, a hit's been made! Point!"

I suppose they can't have people fight 10x a week if they went with regular boxing rules. But then it isn't boxing.

I was looking forward to seeing some water polo, but I never saw any games at all. Did they even broadcast it?

Phate, the reason Canada doesn't get many medals is systemic. We don't have athletic scholarships and our government doesn't support our athletes. There is ZERO incentive here other than the individual will to do it.

Case in point: Australia has 42 medals. Canada has 17. They have 13,000,000 fewer people than Canada. There must be a valid reason for this ... Better coaching? Better funding? Better facilities? Better genetics? What's it like being an athlete in Australia anyway?

Case in point: Australia has 42 medals. Canada has 17. They have 13,000,000 fewer people than Canada. There must be a valid reason for this ... Better coaching? Better funding? Better facilities? Better genetics?

Just a better country in general

What's it like being an athlete in Australia anyway?

It's the same as any other country. Athletes are normally recognized at a young age, receive scholarships to go to good schools, go to through the AIS or whatever academy that sport is tied to and if you're good enough, you make it big.

The Norwegian women's handball team just kick Russia's ass in the finals :D They were ahead by 10 goals after 15 minnutes! Won by 7 in the end :D

It's the same as any other country. Athletes are normally recognized at a young age, receive scholarships to go to good schools, go to through the AIS or whatever academy that sport is tied to and if you're good enough, you make it big.

Except for Canada. We have nothing -- no scholarships to go to good schools, no AIS or academies (unless we pay out of our own pockets) and if we are good enough, we might get sponsored by a corporation or company so we don't have to pay to go to our competitions. We're pretty much on our own. I think we might have a couple of sports schools here now, but they cost the big bucks to go to.

If we actually treated our athletes as though they were worth something, we might win some more medals!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not like that here either; if a kid in the UK wants a scholarship theyll apply to an American school

Back