Sticking out ribs

A Solution

My ribs stick out as well, i was born this way, so do my dads, so do my brothers. The thing is, i'm learning it's not impossible to reduce/remedy this.. it's all about stretching. The thing is i don't know if my ribs stick out or if my back is too tight so that my rib-cage doesn't sit completely centered, do you follow? Maybe i learned postural behavior from my father and re-enforce that because it's all i know.

Over the last year i've been stretching a lot more, i do a lot of back stretches, yoga, hand stands, its dope, everything is balancing out, as i stretch my back it gives my ribcage more room to sit more evenly in my frame. You don't need a brace or some kind of surgery, our body is wrapped in muscle ready to be a 'living' brace to allow any shape you want. The important part is the mind-body connection. Look in the mirror, rock out to the image you see, stretch and sculpt and move until it looks dope as hell, and then keep it up. Every chance you get - position yourself the way you'd rather have our body sit, and you will feel all sorts of tight areas, those tight areas are preventing it from being the way you're positioning it. BREATHE stretch those tight areas slowly over time. Our lungs do a lot of the work of keeping our posture in check. Imagine a sock, its slumped over, now put a balloon in the sock, and fill it half way with air, the sock will start to fill out and stand up... most people get stiff over time, adopt bad posture, and get tight in places they don't realize because they learn to move differently.

Running regularly, will force your lungs to pump and shimmy all your bones and muscles in alignment, pushing your cardio will cause your lungs to expand more than they would on any average day, and u will feel the soreness in your back, you will feel how they are stretching everything and shimmying it back into place... fill the balloon in the sock all the way and it's going to stand straight up! That's how the breath also works in yoga, you find a position that is comfortable but slightly stretching, and then you take a DEEEEEP breath and this pulls the muscles a little bit more because you're expanding from the inside, you do this over and over and its a gentle process that helps you truly stretch your muscles and maintain balance. Another important aspect is physicality. Do not simply simulate athleticism in the gym, for a truly balanced body you need to BE athletic, and this can mean something as simple as acrobatics, try and do a hand stand, the first thing you'll notice is your balance is off, control your fall so you dont hurt yourself but you'll soon realize this is a great and easy way to build up your shoulders and forearms.. its easy to control your fall so you'll always be fine, so its a fun way to become more athletic, try your hand stands all the time, and you'll get better and better, soon it will be way easy, you'll be walking around on your hands like a gymnast, you'll start breathing and relaxing as you do it and you'll realize its a very natural way to bring your body more balance.

I feel the human body is an amazing piece of equipment, but it gets stale without proper use, celebrate your body, get into hip hop dancing, get into yoga, do some handstands, basically just try and do cool **** with your body all the time and you'll realize how much more athletic you're becoming, and how much more balanced your body is as well. Back to the point, your back will get more stretched and your ribs will shimmy into the proper alignment, your neck will elongate your legs will get stronger, they'll start pulling the proper muscles to help balance the rest.. its all gotta be used for it to be right. That's why guys with the BEST bodies are athletes, because rough and tumble athleticism embodies masculinity, and celebrates the benefits of the male form... i feel women with the BEST bodies are dancers, and symbolically it embodies femininity, and celebrates the delicate harmony and graceful balance of a feminine form...

Our bodies are totally rad and can do amazing things, no form is unchangeable it's all real time.. BE the change you desire, simulate it, wrap yourself up in it, embody it and embrace it, and it will manifest soooo fast. I have an amazing eight pack and i don't do situps, i just love the way my abs look and every time i see a mirror i'm like "yeeeh" and they're like, thats right, whats up!! and thats the mind body connection thing i'm talking about. If you look at the parts of yourself that are fat, and grab them and be like, damnit i'm fat... they wont go anywhere, because they are a part of your consciousness, if you look at the parts of your body that are dope as hell, and position yourself to look even hotter, and love it, those things are what you'll get more of.. want a perky ass, flex so its perky whenever u look in the mirror, and love ur ass, it'l soon be that way, naturally.

Do you ever see chicks who have an amazing body but their face is kinda beat? it's like, "what went wrong here??" for some reason they're loving their body and vibing out on how hot it is, and its vibing them back by getting hotter and hotter, but they're ignoring their face! they're the type of girls who probably dont really look at their face very often, and its funny because when you're interacting with them they're deflecting attention away from their face as well!!

The beat face is a RESULT of that attitude, not the source. I've seen girls i make feel beautiful TRANSFORM, completely embrace their beauty and the transformation happens very quickly!! but the key is tenacity, the more your spirit is IN your parts the more those parts will shine with vibrancy and beauty.

Most people walk around the world dragging their bodies through the elements to be destroyed... they're in the future or in some idea but out of the moment.. out of their body...dragging it behind them.. you have to be IN your body, be in every part. If you have bad circulation to your feet, FEEEEEL your feet, pay attention to your toes, you'll feel your energy move there, then you may realize that you're not focusing on some other part, because your energy is in your feet... You now notice that you don't have enough energy to be in every part of your body at the same time... you're either in your head, or in your face, or in your feet, but not in everything at once... Now you see the work you have to do, you see you have to make more life energy... more spirit energy... to be in everything all the time... by sending the energy to your feet, then doing something with your hands, you've just stretched your consciousness INSIDE your body... but its thinned out... the result... more consciousness will grow to fill in the gaps, to keep up...

Suddenly you'll be aware of more tight parts in your physical form, you'll feeeeeel where things need to be stretched, where energy pathways need to be loosened and unclogged to allow more of your lifeforce to permeate everything... your energy is now larger, it's taking up more room! Stiffened... ignored areas have no where to hide, they cannot be ignored because you're filling out your body energetically.. your not.. in one part and removed from the others... you're no longer dragging your body around to be destroyed.. you're LIVING.... you're growing, you're regenerating, you're vibrant, you're GANGSTA!! so rock out and figure out what you're gonna do with all this time here in eden!

One more thing, when you start filling out parts of your body with your life force, when you start BEING in the different parts, you realize that the different parts have ideas of their own! spend more time in your legs you'll feel the desire to run and jump and skateboard and surf and dance, spend more time in your scalp and you'll want long luxurious hair to cover your head and shoulders, blow in the wind and shade your beautiful face from the sun like a living, sparkling hood.. our bodies are our UNCONSCIOUS MIND, live more in yours, pay attention to its vibration, and you'll see life is the balance of spirit, body, and mind, not one or the other, each can only exist WITH all together. YEEEEH rock on

peace
- Seth

Pectus excavatum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Something I was shown when I shown a guy a picture of my ribs the other day, not sure if it's related to your picture or not, but it's a rib abnormality anyways..

My first proper ever girlfriend touched it once while getting abit frisky when I was younger and blurted out with "Errghh..", and since then I've always been self concious about it, I accept it myself, but don't accept it for others if that's a good way to put it. Mind you, she never held it against me and I still know her today, about 4 years I've known her (she's lived in australia for the past 3 :/ ) and she never said anything bad about it.

I've always had a image in my head of laying in bed with my partner (I'm single atm lol) when I'm older and her having her head on my chest, I always get worried when I think about that because of the shape of my chest. Making it one of my main motivations to gain mass, hopefully I can cover it over abit.

And Seth, awesome post ;)

hi

I'm not sure how common this problem is or if anyone can really help, but it's something about my body that I've always hated and been self conscious about so thought I'd put out a post about it.

My bottom rib(s) particularly on the left side of my body have always stuck out further than the average person.

I've attached a couple of pics showing this. In the first and third pictures to the right side of the pic you can see my rib poking out (and trust me, these two pics don't make it look half as bad as it actually is). In the second picture you get more of an idea how far it pokes out, even wearing a singlet you can see the shape of my rib poking out there.

Anyone else have this problem or know anything I could do about it? I work out a lot at the gym, eat all the right foods. I'm a 21 year old male and weigh 68kg so it's not like I'm extremely skinny or anything. Just want a good body and this has just been something I've always been extremely self conscious about. I know when most people lie down their ribs stick out a bit, but mine are like this 24/7!

Just wanted to vent, and see if anyone has got any advice. Do you think doing certain exercise could potentially minimise this problem, or if someone like a chiropractor would be any help? Or would the only solution be to put on more weight to potentially cover them more? Who knows.

I too got the same problem...and i found why it happened ...its due to lat pull down behind head..i use to pull it down behind head...though some people say its wrong but it works on ur ribs pulling them upward using ur back bones and muscles...but this asymmetry occurs due to one side getting better worked and the other side being not...usually when u do workout and then throughout ur day u do ur usual works ..most of us r right handed and when we do other works at home or wherever the right hand side muscles get relaxed very soon and left side of body stay tight and feels burn for longer time ...thus left hand get into shape faster than the right...

the solution for this is u gotta go to gym n work on lat pull down and u do it only concentrating on right side ..say as though u r only pulling it down using right hand ...but dont do it using left or it will poke out more on left side...use moderate weight ....

but u gotta be very very patient as results r not that fast ...but u can feel it very soon...n i guess this is right time for u...cz if u cross 25 yrs of age the bones usually get stronger n will be harder to change them later...under the age of 25 the bones r tender n we can change them...

also there is a lot of stuffon this issue its related to "ribcage expansion"...
u can also develop some good muscle on upper abdomen i m sending u link for it..
u know what type this in search box on youtube cz these posts r not taking urls
"Cable Iso Lateral Chest Press - Pecs serratus Anterior"

I agree with carinna too, it doesn't bother me at all. I have scoliosis and my entire left side of the rib cage sticks out just a little farther than the right side. to sum it up- i am a little crooked lol

i have EXACTLY the same problem but but but
i am 6'3 and weigh 90kg...
i wouldnt particularly say im fat, i have a quite a tight body but a bit sizey.
if anyoneeeee could help me with this it would help alott.
it's really embarassing and i feel very self-concious about it.
i probably will never be on here again seeing as i only made it to comment on here :O if someone could offer me any advice pleaseeee e-mail me on
Iambambi@live.co.uk

thx :)

=)

hey, im 15 and i have the same thing but im kind of happy im ot the only one with this..'problem' but yeah :p i was wondering about it for a little bit, it doesnt hurt at all just looks a little wierd

I'm 16 dude and I have the same thing on both sides. **** sucks. lol, it kidan hurts just to lay on my stomack on a hard surface lol. Pretty rediculous I would say I work out my abs hopefully as they become more toned my ribs wont be as noticable but I doubt it. Anyway yeah cool to know other people have the same problem. :p

found a solution

Hey everyone, my name is Tony. I have the exact same problem as you, but I've found that working on my obliques harder than my abs drastically reduces my (now barely noticeable) jutting ribs. Try it out

Hey mate, I have been trying to find out what causes the lower ribs to stick out for years as it used to bother me when i was a teenager, My Sister is the same and I have two children that also have the same ribs so I gather it must be genetic and not caused by injury.

I hear wearing a sports corset or medical corset over time can help but yet to find one to try.

Here is a pic of my ribs so you can see your not alone and mine clearly stick out through tight fitted tops which i try to avoid due to people asking "why do your ribs stick out?", which is frustrating.

hey in a teenager with the same problem and i hate it when other girls in the locker room look at me and say omg you have 4 boobs. it is mean and now ive always been very cautious with what i wear. that means i cant wear annthing tight. and it is bother some if u have any ideas how to help i would love to know! :)

I have the same problem as well Im a 20 year old Female... I have always had this problem and been very self consious about it... though my parents and siblings are completly normal.... its so frustrating...

I'm not sure how common this problem is or if anyone can really help, but it's something about my body that I've always hated and been self conscious about so thought I'd put out a post about it.

My bottom rib(s) particularly on the left side of my body have always stuck out further than the average person.

I've attached a couple of pics showing this. In the first and third pictures to the right side of the pic you can see my rib poking out (and trust me, these two pics don't make it look half as bad as it actually is). In the second picture you get more of an idea how far it pokes out, even wearing a singlet you can see the shape of my rib poking out there.

Anyone else have this problem or know anything I could do about it? I work out a lot at the gym, eat all the right foods. I'm a 21 year old male and weigh 68kg so it's not like I'm extremely skinny or anything. Just want a good body and this has just been something I've always been extremely self conscious about. I know when most people lie down their ribs stick out a bit, but mine are like this 24/7!

Just wanted to vent, and see if anyone has got any advice. Do you think doing certain exercise could potentially minimise this problem, or if someone like a chiropractor would be any help? Or would the only solution be to put on more weight to potentially cover them more? Who knows.

~ I have the same problem on my left side but its not my rib its my left chest bone and it sticks out a lot more then my right. didn,t notice it till i started working out.

I just recently went through the same dilemma. I'm 21 and 5'1'' I've always been around 115 lb and this past year finally got the itch to eat healthy and exercise and now weigh 100 lb. But after losing weight I noticed my left rib sticking out further than the other. Looked online and mostly could only find forums of people looking for answers. People saying its normal then someone else saying it could mean scoliosis. So along with self consciousness and the fear of having something wrong with me I went to a chiropractor and the guy acted like he never seen it before and said it could be a sign of scoliosis then left me more freaked out. But then I had a physical and the doctor checked me out and there were no signs of scoliosis..she just said I could have injured my ribs when I was younger and the cartilage might of grown larger on one side. But with many people experiencing this who knows what it is..Now that the fear of having it be something bad is gone I'm still self conscious of the dang thing but I try to tell myself its one of those things YOU yourself notices and someone else probably won't think twice about. I suppose someone that's healthy and has an 'adam's rib' shouldn't let that bother them. Being lazy and out of shape should ha.

I have the same probably but i do have a good few years for a chance to grow hopefully that happens but i think the best way to cover it up would be to grow your: Lats, Pecs, Abs, Obliques and serratus

Even though the original poster is most likely long gone, I thought I'd post this up for anyone else who likes to google their issues and comes across this thread.

You are not alone!!! :)
I too have the same rib deformity. My left rib looks exactly like the picture posted by the guy who started this thread. It looks like an extra rib or something on my left side only.

I'm a 25 year old male, 5'6" 135 lbs and have had this for as long as I can remember.
I am still some what self conscious about it but have learned to live with it.
There is no pain, just makes you look a lot thinner than you actually are and people think you're anorexic. LOL!

This is especially embarrassing for young males who don't want to be the "weakling."

Going by the posts on this thread and my own experience, I believe this condition is genetic and not do to injury or environment.

Like some have said earlier, just own it and remember nobody is perfect!

I would say that it actually could be (somewhat) enlarged spleen not ribs, keep an eye out for mono. ;)

you need to take this very seriously.i had the same problem and thought i had bruised my self from fighting and i was wrong.turned to be scoliosis my spine is an s shaped and i need a surgery you need to go get it checked before it can progress.

hi mate my names tom and im 17 with the exact same problem..maybe a tad worse but whatever and i know exactly how you feel...i got on holiday 3-4 times a year and become very self concious...i went to see my doctor(in england) and unfortunatly he said very ignorantly "yeah you look differant compared to 20 lads but theres nothing we can do about it"...then i asked if there where any surgical options and he said no...though i'd just share this with you,,, dought its help but i guess its another guy in the same boat...keep me upto date on any advances please...thanks, regards from tom

Hello, My name is Dr. James Johnson from Vancouver, Canada. I am a Orthopedic which specializes in Bones. I have always been interested in this particular problem because I had the same problems myself as a teenager. When, I searched this this thread came up, so I thought that it might be helpful for me to post on this topic which might help a few people.

I have read the replies in this thread and 2 separate disorders have been described here. The one the original writer posted is different to the one a few others have described were more than one rib is displaced. This main difference of this second disorder is that it creates a caving in effect between a sufferers ribs.

As for treatment, there isn't much surgery that can be done to fix the problem. I would strongly recommend you see your doctor as this could be as a affect of something more serious. If your symptoms are more like the original posters then I would recommend exercise of the upper body (I don't know much about this exercise, it's not my specialty.). As for the other disorder I have described, after time the ribs revert to the correct position. Although, you should still see a doctor.

Oh, and just for who's wondering. This disorder is genetic. This disorder is known to skip 1 and even 2 generations.

Back