Skurgeon’s Diary

Carbs can definitely play a role there but I wouldn't be surprised if sodium did, too. Either way you're eating plenty of protein so switching some out for carbs won't hurt you.
Just checked my sodium was 6503 mg for that day!

So I’ve been killing it lately strength wise.

I woke up today weighing 207.6 and during my back workout today I had a PR on the seated row. I did 8 nice clean reps of 231 pounds.

I’ve been focusing lately on trying to get at least 300 grams of carbohydrates per day (Up from around 240 ish) and it seems to be having a measurable effect.

I am up about 5 or 6 pounds over the last month but I’ve also dropped a pant size in that time which is crazy! I tried to wear my favorite size 36 jeans on the weekend but they wouldn’t stay up and I had to switch them for a size 34 that was too tight before but now fits nicely. Snug but not uncomfortable.

So those few pounds I’ve gained have to be water from eating the extra carbs. That’s the “hydrate” part of carbohydrate. I forget the numbers but I think it was 3 to 1. So every gram of carbohydrate could take in 3 grams of water.

I’m noticing a physical difference in my shoulder muscles and back over the last few weeks.

Good to see you doing well in maintenance. 5 or 6 pounds fluctuation doesn't mean much unless it becomes a trend.

You have done an impressive job with your arms and shoulders, mine will never look that good!

I continue to smash through PR’s at the gym. It’s getting silly. Carbs make that much difference?

I had an almost 1000 calorie breakfast today that included almost 2 pounds of potatoes. Went to the gym and did my regular Chest and Tricep workout but strength was through the roof and not feeling tired afterwards.

I was able to do the 2 plates per side on the bench press for the first time (225 pounds x 8 reps) Then I worked my way up to the 90 pound dumbbells for 6 reps on an incline bench.

On my last leg day I loaded 540 pounds on the weight sled and pushed it for 2 lengths (to the end and back). That shit was heavy! But I did it.

I feel like a superhero.

6D9EB18B-184D-4013-A91C-DEA6BFDAF7B4.jpeg

it’s only 2 potatoes but they were big potatoes.

including a protein shake mixed with water and some ketchup:

983 calories
140 carbohydrates
14 fat
78 protein

People at work have expressed that they are worried about me. That I’m too skinny and I am losing too much weight. I wear coveralls at work.

Super interesting to me since I haven’t really lost any weight in 2 or 3 months and have actually gained about 5 pounds. But as I stated earlier I have dropped a pant size in that time.

They’re shocked when I tell them I weigh more than 200 pounds.

I’m sure I have some type of body dysmorphia myself (thinking I’m fatter than I am). Sometimes it takes a picture for me to look at it objectively. I’m definitely proud of what I see 95% of the time but that other 5% there’s a voice in my head talking about how this pr that could be better.

the reality is I’ve majorly surpassed anything I had in mind when I started.

No kidding - if I had arms like yours I'd live in front of the mirror! Be proud of your achievements! :hurray:

I definitely notice the difference in my workouts depending on whether I eat enough carbs or not. It's impressive that you've been able to gain lean muscle while dropping a pant size! A good reminder that while "fitness happens at the gym, weight loss happens in the kitchen" is generally true, starvation leads to neither.

Your diary is super motivating to read, thanks man :giggle:

I have a friend who's lost a lot of weight and while objectively she isn't underweight now and will probably lose another 10+ kg I've known her heavier for so long it's hard to not worry a bit about how how "skinny" she is now. I don't tell her though, because I know that shit's super annoying.

People at work have expressed that they are worried about me. That I’m too skinny and I am losing too much weight
I got that too.
I’m sure I have some type of body dysmorphia myself (thinking I’m fatter than I am)
I think it took about 2 years for it to sink in that I was slim.
You deserve to be very proud of yourself.

Your progress is fantastic Skurgeon! Do you have any pics to share of when u were 400lbs? I understand what you mean about body dysmorphia, despite my current very obese state i was once in shape (believe it or not), probably about your weight and very low bodyfat, and it was never enough. I went ott in diet and exercise, just like i've gone ott in eating so much for so long to become obese. I don't know whether never being happy with your physique is a blessing or a curse, as although you're never happy, it drives u to always want to improve.

I don’t have many as I avoided the camera like it was the plague. But there are a few. I I didn’t take any no shirt photos but I’m glad that they don’t exist as much as I wish I had taken some for before and afters.

I was too disgusted to look at myself in the mirror, why would I want a picture of it?

what I do have is some video of myself when I started. Some of it talking to myself in my car and I have a few videos of my start in the gym before covid took that away from me.

im always hesitant to share my images with my face on line. In person I’ll show anyone. I might be able to crop some of the workout videos to hide my head but I can’t seem to post videos here… I will try to take some screen shots of video to share.

My ass was fucking huge!

Back